Word or Words of the Day and Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oto-rhino-laryng-ology. Look for the base words and it's a bit easier. Still would take practice to get it to roll off the tongue but at least it becomes doable.

It was a good thing I had 4 years of nursing school...took me that long to spell and pronounce "sphygmomanometer".

Some lucky girl got her Dad's teaching gene . . . :)

It helps that dad and various science teachers along the way taught me tricks for reading long words. It's actually easier with science jargon than with other long words because they are mostly compound words. Other words that are just long are much more difficult (for me at least).

prosopagnosia:
A form of visual agnosia characterised by difficulty with face
recognition despite intact low-level visual processing.
<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/prosopagnosia>

I have a friend with this. She spent years hiding it because she was affraid people would be offended that she doesn't recognise most people until they speak. Fortunately when she finally told everyone people were very supportive and told her to stop worrying about something she couldn't control.

I have a friend with this. She spent years hiding it because she was affraid people would be offended that she doesn't recognise most people until they speak. Fortunately when she finally told everyone people were very supportive and told her to stop worrying about something she couldn't control.

That would be dreadful to have. I'm glad your friend was able to get support from her friends.

We have them here in Mass. all over the place. You have to "yield" to the person in the rotary, as we call them.

One day my daughter and I were in a rotary, and there was a bad case of "road rage" going on, on the other side because one driver didn't yield to the one in the rotary. We got the heck away from there fast. And so did a lot of other drivers. We had to go up a road we weren't intending to go to, but as the saying goes, "better safe than sorry." The rage was bad enough that we heard the sirens coming.

In the new test handbook for new drivers there is a rather large chapter covering rotaries. Or roundabouts as you folks call them. :angel:

The biggest one I have ever seen had six roads leading into it. There is one in Everett that services a very large mall. Now that one is the biggest one. Two for the mall, entrance and exit, one for Route 16, E&E, one road for the mall across from the mall for the appliance store E&E, and one to get you back to the right road if you missed the one you wanted, E&E. That makes eight. After you have driven on it a couple of times, you get used to it. It is less than ten years old. :angel:

PF, :ROFLMAO:

:angel: Addie, the biggest roundabout that I have seen is the one around the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, 12 streets! The biggest one I have negotiated isn't a roundabout anymore. It was in Copenhagen and seven streets and a streetcar line crossing it. I rode that one on a bicycle. :ohmy:

Here, most of our roundabouts have traffic lights or stop signs. :ermm: Not far from where I live, there's a little one with only three streets and it has three stop signs.

Attachments

• Parc Hermitage roundabout.jpg
    Parc Hermitage roundabout.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 141

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom