Word or Words of the Day and Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You must have read my mind. Last night I was thinking that is disgruntled meant unhappy, there ought to be a definition for gruntled, but I had never heard it used.

epergne

a type of table centerpiece, usually made of silver, but may be made of any metal or glass or porcelain. (Wiki)

vintage-crystal-amp-silver-plate-epergne-centerpiece-by-ellis-barker-920x866.jpg

sanguinary:
1. Attended with bloodshed.
2. Eager to shed blood; bloodthirsty.
3. Consisting of, covered with or similar in appearance to blood.
<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sanguinary>

Every so often you put up a word that I know. I just have never come across an event that would give me reason to use it. I need to start hanging out with the Crips or Bloods. :angel:

badinage:
Playful raillery; banter.
Badinage is from the French badinage which is from the French verb batiner. It seems to me that the Latin *bat- is the root of abash...which is to destroy the self-confidence of s/one. A derogatory term from the same root. (Not closely related to badinage, but shares some of the same etymology--sort of like a family tree with first cousin x times removed).

gaggle:
1. A group of geese when they are on the ground or on the water.
2. Any group or gathering of related things; bunch.

gaggle:
1. A group of geese when they are on the ground or on the water.
2. Any group or gathering of related things; bunch.

I have always loved that word. It has a great sound to it when you say it out loud.

I love having a gaggle of people in my kitchen when I am cooking. :angel:

Last edited:
I hate having a gaggle of people in a waiting room when I am ill. Makes me want to cough all over them and give them whatever I have.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I love some those collective nouns.

A giggle of girls
A bother of boys
A parliament of rooks
A congress of baboons
A murmuration of starlings

Back
Top Bottom