Word to My Cousin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Z

Head Chef
Here is the draft of the email I plan to send to my cousin based, in a large part, on your comments.... whaddya think?

First of all, I'd like to say that I admire your passion regarding the immigration debate. I believe it is every American's right (and responsibility) to stand up for issues that they believe are in the best interests of our country. I do not know if illegal immigration has impacted you personally or why it has fueled your campaign and, frankly, I do not need to know because it is your right. Views are passionate on both sides of the debate, and my only concern is that informed discussion intended to lead to thoughtful national policy may degrade to racial conflict. There is often a very thin line between political humor and racial slurs. I am perfectly fine with opinions (even strong ones) and I do have a sense of humor about things. I only ask that you continue to ask yourself whether the jokes and comments that you forward deal with the 'issues' or whether they slur individuals who may be in this country legally but who associate with and support others who may not be. I believe that any perceived slurs would only weaken your argument. Just something to keep in mind as you keep fighting the good fight (whatever you perceive that to be).

He's just a dude... who sends me and his mailing list tons of anti-immigration propaganda by email, some of which is articles supporting his position and some of it is humor that I think pushes perilously close to the racism line. Rather than simply ignoring it or just telling him to take me off his list, I was looking for a better way to express my concerns. Yesterday, a number of members here helped me with their advice.

I think that tells him that you don't like the jokes, but, in a way that isn't demeaning to him. If he takes it the wrong way, it's not because of how or what you said. Good luck with it!!

thanks Z, I just saw the other thread after i saw this one. I would just let him know you don't agree, and you don't have to agree, he can have his beliefs and opinions, but to leave you out of them.

The thing is... I don't mind reading what he has to say about the topic. I just want him to be aware of that 'line'.

Back
Top Bottom