"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Cardiac Rehab, they monitor you on telemetry the entire time you are there. There are several therapists and at the very least a Cardiac Nurse. The exercise is based on your ability, not some nutcase with an Arnold complex. They are there to increase your endurance, not turn you into Mrs Universe. It also takes place in the hospital...or at least it should. Any problems and they can call a code immediately.
Thanks. It is in the hospital. And just feet away from the ER. I am going to contact them. Fortunately for me, transportation is not a problem. Just love that telemetry and all the stickies they put on you that you can never get rid of the outline. I am still rubbing my skin almost raw from the last trip to the ER.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

These yoga stretches can be great for people who can't get around easily. And since you do it at your own pace and in your own time, if you get tired or out of breath, you stop.
http://www.amazon.com/Office-Yoga-Si.../dp/0811826856

Old 02-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
These yoga stretches can be great for people who can't get around easily. And since you do it at your own pace and in your own time, if you get tired or out of breath, you stop.
Office Yoga: Simple Stretches for Busy People: Darrin Zeer, Michael Klein: 9780811826853: Amazon.com: Books
They have a yoga program here for the elderly in the building. I should look into it.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
They have a yoga program here for the elderly in the building. I should look into it.
Definitely! I got the physiotherapist that was working with my mom (a cardio patient) to sell me some of those "inner tube" bands that they use. A friend of mine used to wear ankle weights around the house...she made them using dried beans, fabric, and velcro. She also made little wrist band ones. That way, there was some resistance when she moved around. I did the same thing for dogs that were getting old and needed some weight-resistance to help improve their mobility/strength. Little changes can make a big difference.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #25
Head Chef

I put the miles on walking my dog; we take one in the morning for about 30 minutes and then another in the evening, generally for an hour or so.

I also cuss & swear my way through my Pilates DvDs two or three times a week. I'd love to take a yoga class but my hours @ work are so wonky I hate to commit to a time that I won't 100% be able to get to. If anyone has any TNT Beginning Yoga DvDs they can recommend, I'd sure appreciate it.

One of these days I'm going to find myself another Total Gym (the one where you use gravity and your own body weight for the resistance to pull against) and get busy on that since I miss it so much. I know one will show up on Craig's List for the right price eventually!

Basically I do something every day, and some days I do more. I have to ~ because if I don't I feel like crap! ;)

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #26
Master Chef

I am SO looking forward to spring! Because of the hip fracture, then my Daddy's death, I have not been walking the way I normally do (I'm afraid of walking on the ice and snow). Here in Galena, IL, all walking is up and/or down hill. Walking up the hill is one thing. But walking downhill is a problem. It is a balance thing.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #27
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I am SO looking forward to spring! Because of the hip fracture, then my Daddy's death, I have not been walking the way I normally do (I'm afraid of walking on the ice and snow). Here in Galena, IL, all walking is up and/or down hill. Walking up the hill is one thing. But walking downhill is a problem. It is a balance thing.
No indoor area to walk? have you asked the local school if you can walk in their gym after classes or something like that...a mall? 2 circuits of our mall equals 1 mile.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #28
Master Chef

I have several friends who mall-walk. It is a great option for bad weather. Another My nearest mall; however, is quite a drive away, and I hate driving more than I hate working out! Oh, I do it, but I don't enjoy it!

An option for weight lifting is bands and/or tubes. I bring the latter when I have to go to Florida for parental support. My parents' neighborhood is a good one for walking. I didn't have time for walking the last time I was there, why, I don't know. Seems I spent a lot of time sitting on my butt. But Daddy needed someone there 24/7. but I used that tube a lot. Given that I hadn't recovered from hip surgery, it was a life-saver.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
No indoor area to walk? have you asked the local school if you can walk in their gym after classes or something like that...a mall? 2 circuits of our mall equals 1 mile.
We have had two malls closed and torn down to be rebuilt again. They are now outside malls. You have to go outside to go to your next store. The purpose was to solve the teenage problem. They no longer have a place to hang out. It is a pleasure to shop at both of them.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:33 AM   #30
Master Chef

Some of us are self starters when it comes to exercise. I personally like a class. What I do for bad weather walking is take a 3 month membership at the local fitness center (much closer than the nearest mall) and use the treadmill and other aerobic machines once or twice a week. When my membership is up, I'll be back to walking outside and ... hopefully .... my hip will be recovered enough to take up Zumba again!