Work Out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cardiac Rehab, they monitor you on telemetry the entire time you are there. There are several therapists and at the very least a Cardiac Nurse. The exercise is based on your ability, not some nutcase with an Arnold complex. They are there to increase your endurance, not turn you into Mrs Universe. It also takes place in the hospital...or at least it should. Any problems and they can call a code immediately.

Thanks. It is in the hospital. And just feet away from the ER. I am going to contact them. Fortunately for me, transportation is not a problem. Just love that telemetry and all the stickies they put on you that you can never get rid of the outline. I am still rubbing my skin almost raw from the last trip to the ER. :angel:

They have a yoga program here for the elderly in the building. I should look into it.
Definitely! I got the physiotherapist that was working with my mom (a cardio patient) to sell me some of those "inner tube" bands that they use. A friend of mine used to wear ankle weights around the house...she made them using dried beans, fabric, and velcro. She also made little wrist band ones. That way, there was some resistance when she moved around. I did the same thing for dogs that were getting old and needed some weight-resistance to help improve their mobility/strength. Little changes can make a big difference.

I put the miles on walking my dog; we take one in the morning for about 30 minutes and then another in the evening, generally for an hour or so.

I also cuss & swear my way through my Pilates DvDs two or three times a week. I'd love to take a yoga class but my hours @ work are so wonky I hate to commit to a time that I won't 100% be able to get to. If anyone has any TNT Beginning Yoga DvDs they can recommend, I'd sure appreciate it.

One of these days I'm going to find myself another Total Gym (the one where you use gravity and your own body weight for the resistance to pull against) and get busy on that since I miss it so much. I know one will show up on Craig's List for the right price eventually!

Basically I do something every day, and some days I do more. I have to ~ because if I don't I feel like crap! ;)

Last edited:
I am SO looking forward to spring! Because of the hip fracture, then my Daddy's death, I have not been walking the way I normally do (I'm afraid of walking on the ice and snow). Here in Galena, IL, all walking is up and/or down hill. Walking up the hill is one thing. But walking downhill is a problem. It is a balance thing.

I am SO looking forward to spring! Because of the hip fracture, then my Daddy's death, I have not been walking the way I normally do (I'm afraid of walking on the ice and snow). Here in Galena, IL, all walking is up and/or down hill. Walking up the hill is one thing. But walking downhill is a problem. It is a balance thing.

No indoor area to walk? have you asked the local school if you can walk in their gym after classes or something like that...a mall? 2 circuits of our mall equals 1 mile.

I have several friends who mall-walk. It is a great option for bad weather. Another My nearest mall; however, is quite a drive away, and I hate driving more than I hate working out! Oh, I do it, but I don't enjoy it!

An option for weight lifting is bands and/or tubes. I bring the latter when I have to go to Florida for parental support. My parents' neighborhood is a good one for walking. I didn't have time for walking the last time I was there, why, I don't know. Seems I spent a lot of time sitting on my butt. But Daddy needed someone there 24/7. but I used that tube a lot. Given that I hadn't recovered from hip surgery, it was a life-saver.

No indoor area to walk? have you asked the local school if you can walk in their gym after classes or something like that...a mall? 2 circuits of our mall equals 1 mile.

We have had two malls closed and torn down to be rebuilt again. They are now outside malls. You have to go outside to go to your next store. The purpose was to solve the teenage problem. They no longer have a place to hang out. It is a pleasure to shop at both of them. :angel:

Some of us are self starters when it comes to exercise. I personally like a class. What I do for bad weather walking is take a 3 month membership at the local fitness center (much closer than the nearest mall) and use the treadmill and other aerobic machines once or twice a week. When my membership is up, I'll be back to walking outside and ... hopefully .... my hip will be recovered enough to take up Zumba again!

When I first broke my hip, as soon as the cut healed, I started water exercises. I live in a small town (3500), so we are one-deep with everything. If my town has a water class a half mile from my house, it is fairly certain yours does as well (it meets at a hotel's inside pool). Next month I plan on moving from pool workouts to Zumba (I love to dance, my husband hates to!) right after my (58th) birthday. But the water classes were a lifesaver. I was the baby of the class -- all of the other women were about 70! Made me feel young. But it took the weight off the leg and kept me moving. my goal right now is to NOT re-gain the 30 lbs I lost due to stress. I've always had very muscular legs, and my calves have recovered, but my thighs still are -- well, flabby, although thin, flabby. I'm just getting so that I'm comfortable walking down stairs (upstairs is easier), and won't even try down hill (did a couple of weeks ago and regretted the effort).

It looks like we are going to join the YMCA...it's about 2 blocks away. I've used the outside track and they have an inside track. I need to get Shrek moving. I need to get moving, with everything on the computers at work now...I'm rarely out of the office.

Back
Top Bottom