Work Out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:LOL: I try to walk 30-45 minutes a day when it's nice out, otherwise I use the recumbent bike/rowing machine. While watching Big Bang Theory.

It annoys me when BBT is preempted. Never do that again, Fox Network.

Last edited:
The mall opens @ 6:30 in the morning for walkers, well lit and music overhead, temperature controlled. I walk there for at least 30 minutes when the weather is icky. Otherwise, I walk outside for 30 minutes/4 days a week. The other 3 days I do cardio with weights, basically the weight stretches and toning I learned in Cardiac Rehab. I do it to fast paced music and try to keep up. I keep the weights light and just increase the reps.

I try to get on the exercise bike Monday to Friday and have the weekends off, we also normally go for a walk after tea everynight but it has been way to hot to get out there and walk, waiting for Autumn to get back into it :)

I, for one, have not gotten caught up in the exercise fad. When the idea of exercise comes to mind, I take a nap until it passes. :)

LOL are you sure you aren't my DH ???? :LOL:

We really haven't done much in that line this winter, but when the harsh cold is not around we walk the neighborhood. We go to the park about 4 blocks from here and circle it twice, then on the way home we stop and check on our elderly neighbors .. it gets them off the couch and out for a bit of fresh air and we usually enjoy the break at that time.

I walk every day with the dog, whatever the weather, we do between 30 - 60 minutes depending how much time I have . He gets a shorter walk in the evening . I do my Wii Fit twice a week .

The mall opens @ 6:30 in the morning for walkers, well lit and music overhead, temperature controlled. I walk there for at least 30 minutes when the weather is icky. Otherwise, I walk outside for 30 minutes/4 days a week. The other 3 days I do cardio with weights, basically the weight stretches and toning I learned in Cardiac Rehab. I do it to fast paced music and try to keep up. I keep the weights light and just increase the reps.

PF I was contacted after my last heart attack by the Cardio Rehab folks. They just let me know they were there. They never followed up and I didn't know if I was supposed to. I know I need to excercise, but with my hip and spine problems, anything that requires me standing or walking for any time is out of the question. And it is not feasible for the "work it out, and it will work out for you." There is just too much damage to my hip and spine. And it is also a circulation problem that they can't do anything about. Five trips to the Cath Lab was of no help in that department. So my question is;

Would they have a program that would of benefit to me? I get out of breath easily. And that is my other problem. I am also afraid of having another heart attack. Three of them is enough for me. Not a good feeling. :angel:

I do 20 - 30 minutes on the treadmill every morning using wrist weights for upper body exercises. Then I alternate days between 15 minutes of weight lifting using dumbbells or 15 minutes working the reflex bag. I call it progress by ounces. :LOL:

I do 20 - 30 minutes on the treadmill every morning using wrist weights for upper body exercises. Then I alternate days between 15 minutes of weight lifting using dumbbells or 15 minutes working the reflex bag. I call it progress by ounces. :LOL:

There is no way I could do a treadmill. Hip and spine won't let me. I can't even walk for too long around my apartment. I also have to take into consideration that I get out of breath easily due to the damage that the three heart attacks have done to my heart. With all the health problems I have had these past five years, I never expected to live this long. :angel:

I never thought of exercise as being a fad. I was so, so very un-athletic as a kid. But then President Kennedy (yes, I'm that old) started a fitness test in the school system, and I was determined to pass the sit-ups portion. When I enlisted, the physical test for women was a joke, it really was. I did one hitch, then went to work as a civilian at the Pentagon, and got sponsored for the Pentagon Officers' Athletic Club. There I was, doing girly aerobics classes, and a man approached me. "Have you ever lifted weights? You just have the body type for weight lifting." Oh, dearie me. But .. what the heck. I went into the (remember now, women had only recently been allowed membership in this facility) male, testosterone-filled weight room and he showed me how to lift weights. Long before any women would dream of it.

I'm here to tell you, I'm not a competition quality weight lifter. I just have 5 lb and 8 lb dumbells, and 5 lb leg weights. I do have gym membership since the hip break.

But that's the thing. You may think weight lifting isn't for girls. Well, get a new look on life. When my leg wouldn't work, I can lift my body with my arms. My doctors, my physical therapists, and heaven help me, all of my friends commented that I recovered from the break more quickly than most because I was fit. And this was at 210 lbs (now I'm at 170, stress)(this is an ideal weight. I'm large boned and muscled, it's kind of a family joke. All of us girls are).

PF I was contacted after my last heart attack by the Cardio Rehab folks. They just let me know they were there. They never followed up and I didn't know if I was supposed to. I know I need to excercise, but with my hip and spine problems, anything that requires me standing or walking for any time is out of the question. And it is not feasible for the "work it out, and it will work out for you." There is just too much damage to my hip and spine. And it is also a circulation problem that they can't do anything about. Five trips to the Cath Lab was of no help in that department. So my question is;

Would they have a program that would of benefit to me? I get out of breath easily. And that is my other problem. I am also afraid of having another heart attack. Three of them is enough for me. Not a good feeling. :angel:

Cardiac Rehab, they monitor you on telemetry the entire time you are there. There are several therapists and at the very least a Cardiac Nurse. The exercise is based on your ability, not some nutcase with an Arnold complex. They are there to increase your endurance, not turn you into Mrs Universe. It also takes place in the hospital...or at least it should. Any problems and they can call a code immediately.

I work with much bigger dumbbells all day...:rolleyes:

I never thought of exercise as being a fad. I was so, so very un-athletic as a kid. But then President Kennedy (yes, I'm that old) started a fitness test in the school system, and I was determined to pass the sit-ups portion. When I enlisted, the physical test for women was a joke, it really was. I did one hitch, then went to work as a civilian at the Pentagon, and got sponsored for the Pentagon Officers' Athletic Club. There I was, doing girly aerobics classes, and a man approached me. "Have you ever lifted weights? You just have the body type for weight lifting." Oh, dearie me. But .. what the heck. I went into the (remember now, women had only recently been allowed membership in this facility) male, testosterone-filled weight room and he showed me how to lift weights. Long before any women would dream of it.

I'm here to tell you, I'm not a competition quality weight lifter. I just have 5 lb and 8 lb dumbells, and 5 lb leg weights. I do have gym membership since the hip break.

But that's the thing. You may think weight lifting isn't for girls. Well, get a new look on life. When my leg wouldn't work, I can lift my body with my arms. My doctors, my physical therapists, and heaven help me, all of my friends commented that I recovered from the break more quickly than most because I was fit. And this was at 210 lbs (now I'm at 170, stress)(this is an ideal weight. I'm large boned and muscled, it's kind of a family joke. All of us girls are).

From what I understand about weight lifting, if I can lift a 10 pound weight once...I've lifted 10 lbs. In the other hand, if I lift a 2 pound weight 5 times, I've still lifted 10 lbs. It's not the weight that helps tone, it's the number of times you can lift that weight.

Unless you are going Mr. or Mrs. Universe you really don't need to buy all the weights, a 2 pound and a 5 pound are enough to be fit.

I try to get a swim in whenever I can. I have one of those "stretch bands" and use that during commercials when watching TV or, if possible, if I can be on mute, while on conference calls. When I had my NordicTrak in the house, I used to spend as much time on that while on conference calls as I could. I just made sure that my computer was close enough to the thing so I could follow along (this again was s/thing I could do on mute). I also pace when on conference calls rather than sit at my desk (same thing when I'm on the phone with family/friends). I also have hand weights and use those when I'm watching TV. I also park at the farthest end of the parking lot when I go s/place, take the stairs, and go up and down the stairs to my basement a lot--that is where I store extra pans and feed the woodstove and washer. In the winter, I probably do 10-12 flights of stairs/day. And there is is the need to hump 40 kg of chicken feed in every 3 weeks, ditto with dog food, and fire wood (every other day). When I was an obedience instructor, to get the training in for the dog, it was recommended to work it in during commercials on TV and to work it in to the dog's daily routine. The dog gets fed 2x day, make the dog sit and give eye contact, same for when the dog goes outside...so that is how I work exercise into my life. Works for me.

Last edited:
I walk every day with the dog, whatever the weather, we do between 30 - 60 minutes depending how much time I have . He gets a shorter walk in the evening . I do my Wii Fit twice a week .

Good on you GQ :)

We used to have the Wii and we did Wii Fit for awhile there...we have the Wii U and still have the Wii Fit board, may see if there is the equivalent for it on the Wii U ;)

From what I understand about weight lifting, if I can lift a 10 pound weight once...I've lifted 10 lbs. In the other hand, if I lift a 2 pound weight 5 times, I've still lifted 10 lbs. It's not the weight that helps tone, it's the number of times you can lift that weight.

Unless you are going Mr. or Mrs. Universe you really don't need to buy all the weights, a 2 pound and a 5 pound are enough to be fit.

Absolutely. For me it is 5 and 8 lbs, simply because I'm the same size as your average man (5'10", 170 lbs, and, as I said, large boned) and have been lifting weights for many years. For most women 2/3 and 5/6 will do all you need. And if you don't want to invest in weights, go to the pantry. Cans wil do just fine!

I'm 65 and had a heart attack on January 3rd, followed by a triple bypass. I'm home 6 weeks now, and have been walking daily. Began at 5 minutes and am now up to 40 mins per day. The roads out here are up, down and around, and icy. I wear ice grips on my boots. I figure with the added hills and extra wearing apparel I'm getting more excercise than in summertime.
I'm thinking about driving the 90 minutes to rehab once a week, but only thinking about it. That much driving is bad for my nerves; there's no rehab closer.

Back
Top Bottom