"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-19-2006, 09:10 AM   #11
Senior Cook

I depends on who you ask, I personally either want a very well trained person or a completely ignorant person. The worst is someone who THINKS they know what to do and then you have to break them of bad habits and train them to do it your way. If i hire a sous chef, i want to know i can take a night off and not worry about everything. If i hire a cook, i prefer them to be young, i like building cook up and teaching them what i know, i want someone who says"no, i don't know how to do that, but if you show me i will" as opposed to someone who says "yea, i can do that chef" and they really can't and i have to clean up their mess" Experience is the most important thing, culinary school is NOT cooking in a busy restaurant everyday.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:26 AM   #12
Executive Chef

You may well be able to put your IT knowledge with culinary experience and or education to create a fine career for yourself! Follow your interest/passion.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:33 AM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
Cooking is the of the iceburg when it comes to F&B. Sky is the limit. Everythng from styling to purchasin/inventory control. The business has many lateral side steps.
This is sort of what I meant when I mentioned my IU degree. I didn't know if the marketing/ordering/purchasing side of the business preferred you to have more of a culinary background or more of a business background.

Also, Thanks everyone for all the replies! That helps a lot. I really do enjoy my experiences in a professional kitchen, but I do have bills to pay. $7/hr is ok for now while I'm still in college, but it won't be long before I need to start looking for a semi-permanent place to live, and I don't think $7/hr will cut it for much longer. Especially now since I'm engaged, I want to have a comfortable lifestyle if at all possible.

I've though about ways to combine my two interests, but other than creating a website of some sort, of which there are many already, I'm sort of drawing a blank.

I did have an idea for building an inventory tracker/organizer type system, along with a front of the house system for servers to order from, keep track of turnover and other data, etc. I don't know of it exists already, but I thought it would be handy for an owner/manager to be able to see how differerent dishes stack up against each other, either on individual nights, or over certain lengths of time, like a few weeks, months, or a year. This might help them decide if their menu needs revision,like if certain things consistently don't sell well, or you're only selling dishes that carry a low profit margin. I also thought it might be useful to keep track of everything you sell in a night for inventory purposes, to have a rough idea of how much produce/meats/etc. you need to order in the coming days.

I'm sure systems like I've just described already exist, though I don't know if they are custom built or sold as a package by a consultant of some low-profile corporation. Those are things I'll need to look into.

Anyways, thanks again for all the replies, I'm sure I'll figure something out! All else failing I can always start my own business of some sort.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:50 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Micros had a system similiar to the one you are describing.