Worst. Birth. Date. Ever.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Seems like Christmas birthdays have been getting a bad rap in a couple of threads here lately. I say time for a new thread! :LOL: Maybe we can all share the trials and tribulations of our own or friends and/or family member birthdays falling at an inconvenient time. Doesn't have to be just Christmas, either. I'm sure some of you aren't happy with a certain date just because it conflicts with something viewed as "more important" in your own family. Hopefully, if you have dealt with a challenging birth date you might have helpful hints to assist others with this problem!

Our kids were born halfway between Christmas and New Year, on December 29th. It takes a conscious effort to make sure your loved ones' Christmas season birthday isn't overlooked or slighted. When they were young, we'd pick up gifts for them throughout the second half of the year when time and budget allowed and hide them in the attic space above the garage. With access only via a pull-down staircase, we knew the kids couldn't see what we had. Then a few days before Christmas, I'd suck it up, put my winter coat and most nimble gloves on, and head up those steps when the kids were asleep. I'd divide each of their piles into "Christmas" and "birthday" and wrap accordingly. The split was roughly 65% Christmas, 35% birthday. That's because come Christmas day, if we suddenly heard "but I didn't get XXX from Santa!" we did have a few days to scamper out and save the day. AND be bigger heroes than "Santa".

The kids also were sad that their birthday parties were missed by a lot of their friends due to family vacations during Christmas. The only time it didn't bother them were the years we traveled to FL for our own "Family vacation" to visit Himself's side of the family at Christmas. So what's a Mom to do? Hold a half-birthday party! As a bonus, they got to play fun games outside like water balloon fights, tag, and all sorts of things we grumpy parents would frown upon as indoor activities.

What are your awkward celebration dates complaints? More importantly, what do you do to get around that "feeling cheated" problem?

What a good idea for a thread, CG. :)

With your babies being born so close to Christmas, it's a challenge to have a birthday celeb for them and to help them feel special during the hustle and bustle of the holidays. You had some great ideas!

My brother and I are almost exactly a year apart - our birthdays are the middle and end of November. Looking back, my momma was crazy busy planning Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas, but she made sure my brother and I had our own special birthday celebrations with lots of love. My birthday is on Veteran's Day and it was a day off from school, so my mom let my brother stay home from school on November 30 for his birthday, too. :LOL:

I was just talking with a good friend about birthdays. :) My daughter's father and his sister share the same birthday, but TWO YEARS apart! :ohmy: I remember my MIL saying it was challenging for her to help each child feel special on their day, but she managed, and now that they're grown up they have such good memories of their mom and dad doing whatever they could to make them feel special on 'their' day.

Last edited:
I like this subject CG, and you are obviously thoughtful caring parents. I'm sure your kids think you're pretty special too!!

My own birthday is three days before Christmas and my parents were as loving as you. Actually, being raised as I was as a child, I was honored to have my birthday so close to the most special birthday of all. My parents were married for nine years before I was born on that cold Minnesota morning and they told me every bday until they died how I was their best Christmas gift ever. For a child, thoughts like that are nurtured in one's heart forever. They always made sure bday gifts were never wrapped in Christmas paper. Although I was grown before I had a surprise birthday party when I turned 40, it never mattered to me. I've always felt loved. There's nothing better than that.

Aw, Kayelle, your parents sound so sweet! :heart:

Our clever son asked me today if we could go on Tuesday to Melt Bar and Grilled for birthday shenanigans! :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: I told him the trip to Bourbon Street WAS their "birthday dinner". After last night, our going-out budget is pretty blown for a while. :wacko:

DH's birthday is the same date as his parents' anniversary, usually less than a week before Thanksgiving, 360 days after his older brother's birthday. Can you imagine dealing with all of that? :LOL:

Many years ago, I read that a woman always celebrated her in-laws' anniversary because they gave her the love of her life. That gave me the idea to send them a flower arrangement for their anniversary each year, which means they have flowers for their Thanksgiving table.

Aw, Kayelle, your parents sound so sweet! :heart:

Our clever son asked me today if we could go on Tuesday to Melt Bar and Grilled for birthday shenanigans! :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: I told him the trip to Bourbon Street WAS their "birthday dinner". After last night, our going-out budget is pretty blown for a while. :wacko:

DH and I went there on our way to Michigan a few years ago. It was so good! You should go! They're just sandwiches ;)

My birthday is the day after Christmas and, yes, it does sometimes get overlooked (but not by the fine folks here on DC). But that's actually okay with me. I figure if maybe people don't notice my birthday, then maybe they also won't notice I'm getting older. :LOL:

Last edited:
When SO and I joined forces 17 years ago, I learned one of her granddaughters had her birthday on the same date as I, December 1st.

From the time she was about 7 or 8 YO, I teased her that it was my birthday, not hers.

One year I faked a letter from the federal government with government letterheads etc. stating that that date was officially my birthday and that her birthday had been moved to February 30th.

So now, every year on my birthday I call her so she can wish me a happy birthday.

When SO and I joined forces 17 years ago, I learned one of her granddaughters had her birthday on the same date as I, December 1st.

From the time she was about 7 or 8 YO, I teased her that it was my birthday, not hers.

One year I faked a letter from the federal government with government letterheads etc. stating that that date was officially my birthday and that her birthday had been moved to February 30th.

So now, every year on my birthday I call her so she can wish me a happy birthday.

Clever guy you are Andy. I love that story. ;)

My youngest daughter was born on her father's birthday. I made sure that date was all hers and she didn't have to share it with anyone else. My youngest son Poo's birthday is 9/11. Not the best date for a celebration. But he is grown now and really doesn't care about his birthday. :angel:

Mom's birthday is December 26th and Mom & Dad's Anniversary is December 27th (same as ours only 25 years apart)...(Shrek and I have been married 31 years as of yesterday).

I always make sure Mom gets a birthday card and her package is wrapped in birthday paper. Then they get a separate Anniversary card.

Mom's birthday is December 26th and Mom & Dad's Anniversary is December 27th (same as ours only 25 years apart)...(Shrek and I have been married 31 years as of yesterday).

I always make sure Mom gets a birthday card and her package is wrapped in birthday paper. Then they get a separate Anniversary card.

Happy Anniversary you guys!

Another thought about a birthday date, I'm reminded of a little girl friend I had who's name was Libby. We both thought it was so cool her birthday was the 4th of July and she thought all the celebrations were for her birthday. Her real name was Liberty.

Happy Anniversary, Princess and Shrek! :flowers:

Kay, cute story about Liberty!

Reminds me of my sons-in-law's birthdays - one's is on the 4th of July and the other's is on Valentines Day. Easy ones to remember. :)

Happy Anniversary, PF and Shrek and parents, and Happy Birthday to mother of PF!

DH was also born July 4, and also thought the fireworks were for him. As a matter of fact, he still thinks that, I haven't the heart to tell him they're not.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom