"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-26-2007, 02:30 PM   #21
Master Chef

When I was a teenager I worked at a laundry. It was a very hot summer that year and it was VERY hot in the room were I was working. They had me working a large pressing iron, with the hot steam blowing in my face. Needless to say I didn't last too long on the job. I fainted from the heat. I should have known better, I don't have sweat glands. So the heat is very hard on me.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:33 PM   #22
Senior Cook

In one of my earliest accounting positions I worked for a lunatic who could never make up his mind about the wording on his government audits which meant that they all had to be redone day after day for months. It was so silly and such a waste of time. I couldn't wait to get out of there. There was also an older guy who rented a space from them that thought I was his personal slave and he followed me around yelling about the condition his mail arrived in all day. That was one place I'll never ever miss.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #23
Head Chef

my worst was when i cleaned 34 stalls a day for $5.00 an hour. there is a ton of poop in an hour! And then I got critized for doing too good of a job. What kind of boss would want you to do less than your best? How do you aim for less?
Old 04-27-2007, 11:29 AM   #24
Master Chef

Another job that I hated was a summer job for slave wages salary at the Sizzler Steak (aka as Slave) House. My boyfriend who later became DH would pick me up at 10pm and I'd literally collapse into the car reeking of lettuce, bleu cheese dressing, smoke, etc. The people that I worked with were very nice but some of the customers were over the top. And there were some doozies. One lady began to harass me as to why my pants were so long and making fun of me-----(I think that she had had a wee bit to drink because her husband tried to shush her)---after crying a few tears in the back, Jorge, our cook went out there and told her that my pants were long so that I could vacuum their carpets as I served tea and coffee. He said that her expression was priceless. I swear to goodness the man was my hero!! He was so funny!! I never saw that lady again the rest of the time that I worked there.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:12 PM   #25
Master Chef

Another bad job I had was at a place where they made gloves and mittens. They sat me down at the biggest sewing machine I had ever seen in my whole life. You made it work by pushing down on a big metal thing with both feet. Well, I only lasted a half a day. I walked out at noon and never went back.I told my mother that I had to quit because of my asthma, that the lint bothered me. I was only 16 at the time.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:41 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Tops

I got hired at a nursing home. So anxious to help in any way I could. They told me to follow these two people as they gave the residents their bath. The first lady they did would not say anything or smile. I now know why. As they started washing her the guy made remarks about being hot lady and not enough to do anything. As we continued, it only got worse. I assume the job wasn't exciting but this was sick. At 11 we were supposed to go to lunch. I walked in to Human Resources and q uit. When she looked so shocked I told her the conditions are horrible not only for the residents who had no choice but for people to want to work there was unacceptable. I cannot get that job out of my mind thinking what if that lady were me? I cried as soon as I got in the car. Trying to forget that incident is always remembered when someone talks about elderly and nursing homes. What would you do if it were one of your parents? Don't people care? I treat my dogs with more respect than they gave these people. No wonder these people act indifferent who wouldn't?
Old 04-27-2007, 03:09 PM   #27
Senior Cook

I had a job one summer when I was in high school working behind a cotton stripper. It threw cotton, rocks, sticks, snakes everthing at me. My job was to keep the cotton pushed to the back of the trailer.

Needless to say it was a great motivator for higher education.

later
Old 04-27-2007, 03:54 PM   #28
Head Chef

The worst job I ever had was working in retail for large large ladies. It was my first sales job after working in the entertainment industry for years.

We had to help the ladies try on clothes and after they had left we had to spray Lysol in the dressing rooms.

Many of our customers didn't shave under their arms and legs and I wish we had a large bathroom with a shower so they could shower before they tried on our clothes.

That was definitely the worst job that I ever had.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:46 PM   #29
Master Chef

Well, I see that we are all bona fide survivors of "yecchh" jobs. I guess it's true that "what doesn't kill us makes us strong". Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and I'm sure that there are plenty more out there. Keep sharing if you have time. Have a great weekend! :)
Old 04-27-2007, 06:38 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Telemarketing. I was a penniless student and really needed the pitiful amount they paid (we worked on "commission").

"Sales Associate" at Target. I left after a month.