"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-25-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
Master Chef

Worst job ever?

What's the worst job (paid or unpaid) that you ever had to work at? You don't have to give a reason unless you want to. Later, I want to start a thread as to what was your best job but that's for a later date.

My worst job was babysitting for a neighbor (not a friend) whose house was so revoltingly filthy that I sat on the couch and didn't move all night. I kept the two children next to me and covered them with a blanket on the couch--their beds were not to be fit to put a dog in. The neighbor didn't say a word when she came back and found them on the couch but I refused any more jobs there. I couldn't help but feel sorry for the children. That was 40 years ago.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
Master Chef

I had to clean couple hundred kilograms of fish ones. It was some 30 years ago, I can still smell the fish, when I think about it. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 04-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #3
Master Chef

Hey are you still in Russia? How are you?
Old 04-25-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I had a job on a farm one summer when I was in high schol, and one of my tasks was to hoe the weeds out from in between the tomato plants. ACRES of tomato plants!
Old 04-25-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
Sous Chef

My worst job ever was when I worked at K-Mart. The store was fine. My manager was not.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
About 16 years ago I worked for a computer company that developed computer products/programs that were distributed all over the world. I worked directly for the owner/president of the company who turned out to be the biggest male chauvinist piggy I've ever seen. Under "male chauvinist" in the dictionary I'm certain his picture was there, in color, with a neon arrow pointing to him.

If I hadn't need the job/money as badly as I did at that time I would've quit in a heartbeat. However, I spent the better part of 2 years with the nut job. He continually demeaned all of the women who worked for him and constantly made the point that men were clearly better in any shape/form/fashion than women.

I got a loud "lecture" in front of everyone one snowy day when Buck drove me to work because he didn't want me to drive on the dangerous roads. Buck's actions were viewed as evidence of my female weakness and cowardice. That was just a mild example of his crude, thoughtless pontifications on the "weaker" sex. You don't even want to know how he treated his wife and two daughters.

One of the happiest days of my life was the day I put my office key and my letter of resignation on his desk while he was out for lunch. That was the last he saw of me.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
Master Chef

At a dry cleaning company, in the middle of a summer heat wave. Needless to say I only stayed the one day......it was through a temporary agency.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:15 PM   #8
Cook

I have had a lot of jobs that have had moments to remember which were usually on the negative side.

I worked for a company that sold frozen poultry. One winter it was so cold on the loading dock that I went into the -10F freezer to warm up.

My overall worst job had to be as manager of a family style restaurant. There were too many corporate chiefs each with their own agenda. The security chief insisted that the manager had to remain with the delivery truck and check all items delivered until the product was safely put away, usually about 2 hours. This was in total conflict with the management chief who demanded that the manager had to be in the dining room every ten minutes without exception.

The worst was the corporate moron who barged in to the place and complained that the drive thru was backed up and taking longer than company policy allowed per customer. She insisted that burgers cooked only on one side for less than 30 second should be served immediately because it was night time and the customers were in their automobiles and would not notice the raw meat.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:33 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
Hey are you still in Russia? How are you?
Hi, Charlie!
Da---only I'm still in Russia's "former" satellite----Kazakhstan. I return the week after next--had some medical stuff to take care of here in Houston and all went well. Thanks for remembering. I haven't forgotten your request for a good borscht and think that I have found one that both my hubby and I like. I'll PM you when I get back.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #10
DC's Angel

When I was in high school I worked summers for my father who owned a weaving mill. My job was stock clerk. This meant slinging around 400 pound crates of yarn in 120 degree heat with forty ear-splitting looms cranking out fabric in rolls and lots and lots of lint into the air. The lint would accumulate on my sweaty body all day long until I looked like a bear in a tee shirt.

Every evening on the way home my Dad would ask me how my day went. The conversation was always the same:

"So how'd it go today?"

"Terrible! Hot, noisy, sweaty. I'm pooped!"

"Good. Remember that when school starts again in the fall. If you don't study hard, you'll spend the rest of your life feeling the same way."

If you measure jobs by lessons learned, maybe that job was a pretty good one after all.