Worst Kitchen Accidents!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thankfully, I've been witness to only one kitchen accident, but it was a doozie.

My mother always made split pea soup in the pressure cooker. However, this one time, something went terribly wrong and the pot blew up. There was split pea soup EVERYWHERE!! I've yet to see such a mess. It took forever to clean up. What a mess.

I was making hot sauce and had cooked down the chilies and vinegar. I put it in the blender when it was too hot and the hot sauce exploded out of the blender. It went into my eyes with contacts in them and burned holes in my chest. I still have scars. Had to go to the emergency room about my eyes. They were so messed up there was no way to get my contacts out. Happily, I am not blind. I'm a total klutz, but that was the worst thing I think I've ever done.

Ok, here’s another minor, and not nearly as entertaining incident. I was running late for work a few years ago. At that time, I drank my coffee out of a large glass mug that, according to Wal-Mart, was a beer mug…..but it was great for a huge load of coffee. It got cold as I was getting ready, and my microwave was dead. So, being brilliant, I sat the glass mug on the electric stove eye. You can all guess what happened…..it exploded and painted the kitchen a lovely coffee color with glitter included. Smart. Reallllllll smart!

Other than minor cuts and burns, I haven’t really hurt myself in the kitchen though (knock on wood), that honor is reserved for power tools!!!!! :LOL:

Anyone ever super heat water in a microwave in a smooth glass container just because? Just to see? Yeah….it DOES explode violently like a volcano. ;)

Another story: sitting in the living room at lunchtime when a horrid stench comes from the kitchen and there is smoke. What the...............? My mother and I run into the kitchen and there is my 8 year old sister looking shell- shocked. When we open the oven door there is a frizzled and melted mess of what used to be a "Saran-wrapped" baked potato. My sister knew that you had to wrap the potato but didn't remember with what. We still tease her about it 30 years later.

One of my worst boo boos was I grabed the 1# jar of cayenne pepper insted of paprika
and my salad dressing was so hot.. and it was a five gallon batch so the chef being a wise man told me to jar it up and use a quart at a time and re make the dressing. that mess lasted a half year and did I ever get the raspberrys over that one. More later

Quite a long time ago, I had made a pot of sauce for pasta and when I started to remove it (the pot) from the stove, one of the handles came off and I had sauce all over the stove, the floor, the walls, myself, you name it. It was a copper bottomed Revereware pot, that I had just purchased. You can bet that I got a new one.

I was making hot sauce and had cooked down the chilies and vinegar. I put it in the blender when it was too hot and the hot sauce exploded out of the blender. It went into my eyes with contacts in them and burned holes in my chest. I still have scars. Had to go to the emergency room about my eyes. They were so messed up there was no way to get my contacts out. Happily, I am not blind. I'm a total klutz, but that was the worst thing I think I've ever done.

ooooooooh, carolelaine, you hurt my eyes to just read your post. I thought that I had it bad the time the superglue tube exploded in my eye and dried like it supposed to, instantaneously. Took the doctor forever to get it out. I can just imagine what you went through.:ohmy:

It could work here, Andy. TY

So I had these beef ribs that I've been drooling over for the past coupla weeks. I got home, fired up the grill, threw 'em on and got myself a drink.

I started getting a few flare-ups from the left over marinade on an awesome skirt steak I did the night before.:chef: Rolling on the same momentum with the ribs.

Low and slow for an hour or so, taming the flare-ups while keeping a steady pace on the cocktails and the phone rings.........:glare:

I go to check up on the ribs, and the first thing I notice is the temp is at 550 degrees! :ohmy: I lift the lid only to find four flaming bones encrusted in a medley of beef and char.:huh:

The pizza was good though.:LOL:

Step 1 - Cut up jalapenos for a pot of chili

Step 2 - Wash hands

Step 3 - Use restroom

I forgot step 2 :furious:
ouch !

The worst kitchen accident I can think of was when I used to make fried chicken more often. I kept a jar for grease under the sink; one evening, after making fried chicken and pouring off the grease into the jar, I accidentally tipped the jar over and some of the grease went down in the space between the edge of the counter and the stove; it was an old-fashioned kitchen, so the stove wasn't built in - it was free-standing. The smell of rancid chicken grease permeated the kitchen for days. That mess is hard to clean up!

The worst kitchen accident I can think of was when I used to make fried chicken more often. I kept a jar for grease under the sink; one evening, after making fried chicken and pouring off the grease into the jar, I accidentally tipped the jar over and some of the grease went down in the space between the edge of the counter and the stove; it was an old-fashioned kitchen, so the stove wasn't built in - it was free-standing. The smell of rancid chicken grease permeated the kitchen for days. That mess is hard to clean up!
I can so relate. I tore my kitchen apart looking for a nasty smell a couple of months ago but couldn't find it. I got a new fridge last weekend and when I took the old one out, I found a mummified (previously frozen) chicken fried steak underneath. Sooo gross. The strangest thing is - no one seems to know how it got there.:glare:

Right after Julia Child's "Baking with Julia" series aired on PBS, I got the cook book that went with it. There is a recipe in there for chocolate balloon bowls. You melt your dipping chocolate, dip an inflated balloon in it and let it set. When the chocolate is solid you pop your balloon, and voila!, a chocolate bowl.

So I decided I wanted to try these. I somehow got my chocolate too hot. I would dip the balloon set in on the sheet and within about 30 seconds... POP!! I must have had 4-5 balloons pop on me before I got it right. I was finding little spots of chocolate on my kitchen walls and cabinets for the next 3 years. :angel:

Right after Julia Child's "Baking with Julia" series aired on PBS, I got the cook book that went with it. There is a recipe in there for chocolate balloon bowls. You melt your dipping chocolate, dip an inflated balloon in it and let it set. When the chocolate is solid you pop your balloon, and voila!, a chocolate bowl.

So I decided I wanted to try these. I somehow got my chocolate too hot. I would dip the balloon set in on the sheet and within about 30 seconds... POP!! I must have had 4-5 balloons pop on me before I got it right. I was finding little spots of chocolate on my kitchen walls and cabinets for the next 3 years. :angel:
:LOL: I love the idea for chocolate balloon bowls. I would never have thought of them maybe popping but your description sounds like an episode of "I Love Lucy". So funny. Thanks for sharing that.

Also, welcome to DC. We love funny cooks here!

:LOL: I love the idea for chocolate balloon bowls. I would never have thought of them maybe popping but your description sounds like an episode of "I Love Lucy". So funny. Thanks for sharing that.

Also, welcome to DC. We love funny cooks here!

Hehe... you're welcome. It was something to see alright... there wasn't anything to do but gasp and put your hands up to cover your face when one exploded. They sent chocolate everywhere. Cupboards, walls, ceiling, floor... everywhere. I think the last of it was finally removed when I re-wallpapered the soffits. :LOL:

The chocolate cups were fun. (Although I've never re-done them since... surprise surprise. :-p ) I used them as bowls for sundaes. They were very good.

You know we use lots of oil in Indian cooking.

One day I'm preparing Parantha with lots of oil and the oil, which heated almost to smoking spilt on my right hand and you can easily guess the consequences.

Back
Top Bottom