"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-14-2007, 01:13 PM   #31
Sous Chef
 
bowlingshirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Compton
Posts: 551
Step 1 - Cut up jalapenos for a pot of chili

Step 2 - Wash hands

Step 3 - Use restroom










I forgot step 2
ouch !
__________________

__________________
Official member of the club
Vegans die from arrogant smugness & sprout rot. - pighood
bowlingshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #32
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingshirt View Post
Step 1 - Cut up jalapenos for a pot of chili

Step 2 - Wash hands

Step 3 - Use restroom










I forgot step 2
ouch !
OMG, I laughed so hard. Thank you, thank you for sharing!
__________________

__________________
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:51 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,914
The worst kitchen accident I can think of was when I used to make fried chicken more often. I kept a jar for grease under the sink; one evening, after making fried chicken and pouring off the grease into the jar, I accidentally tipped the jar over and some of the grease went down in the space between the edge of the counter and the stove; it was an old-fashioned kitchen, so the stove wasn't built in - it was free-standing. The smell of rancid chicken grease permeated the kitchen for days. That mess is hard to clean up!
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #34
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The worst kitchen accident I can think of was when I used to make fried chicken more often. I kept a jar for grease under the sink; one evening, after making fried chicken and pouring off the grease into the jar, I accidentally tipped the jar over and some of the grease went down in the space between the edge of the counter and the stove; it was an old-fashioned kitchen, so the stove wasn't built in - it was free-standing. The smell of rancid chicken grease permeated the kitchen for days. That mess is hard to clean up!
I can so relate. I tore my kitchen apart looking for a nasty smell a couple of months ago but couldn't find it. I got a new fridge last weekend and when I took the old one out, I found a mummified (previously frozen) chicken fried steak underneath. Sooo gross. The strangest thing is - no one seems to know how it got there.
__________________
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #35
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
OMG, I laughed so hard. Thank you, thank you for sharing!

Ditto, that was a good one.....um, bad one.
__________________
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:18 PM   #36
Cook
 
strawberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
Posts: 98
Right after Julia Child's "Baking with Julia" series aired on PBS, I got the cook book that went with it. There is a recipe in there for chocolate balloon bowls. You melt your dipping chocolate, dip an inflated balloon in it and let it set. When the chocolate is solid you pop your balloon, and voila!, a chocolate bowl.

So I decided I wanted to try these. I somehow got my chocolate too hot. I would dip the balloon set in on the sheet and within about 30 seconds... POP!! I must have had 4-5 balloons pop on me before I got it right. I was finding little spots of chocolate on my kitchen walls and cabinets for the next 3 years.
__________________
strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:40 PM   #37
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
Right after Julia Child's "Baking with Julia" series aired on PBS, I got the cook book that went with it. There is a recipe in there for chocolate balloon bowls. You melt your dipping chocolate, dip an inflated balloon in it and let it set. When the chocolate is solid you pop your balloon, and voila!, a chocolate bowl.

So I decided I wanted to try these. I somehow got my chocolate too hot. I would dip the balloon set in on the sheet and within about 30 seconds... POP!! I must have had 4-5 balloons pop on me before I got it right. I was finding little spots of chocolate on my kitchen walls and cabinets for the next 3 years.
I love the idea for chocolate balloon bowls. I would never have thought of them maybe popping but your description sounds like an episode of "I Love Lucy". So funny. Thanks for sharing that.

Also, welcome to DC. We love funny cooks here!
__________________
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:03 PM   #38
Master Chef
 
Constance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Illiniois
Posts: 8,175
I dropped a whole electric fry pan full of hot grease from frying chicken on the kitchen floor. Boy, did I do a jump back Jack!
__________________
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:59 PM   #39
Cook
 
strawberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I love the idea for chocolate balloon bowls. I would never have thought of them maybe popping but your description sounds like an episode of "I Love Lucy". So funny. Thanks for sharing that.

Also, welcome to DC. We love funny cooks here!
Hehe... you're welcome. It was something to see alright... there wasn't anything to do but gasp and put your hands up to cover your face when one exploded. They sent chocolate everywhere. Cupboards, walls, ceiling, floor... everywhere. I think the last of it was finally removed when I re-wallpapered the soffits.

The chocolate cups were fun. (Although I've never re-done them since... surprise surprise. ) I used them as bowls for sundaes. They were very good.
__________________
strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:06 AM   #40
Sous Chef
 
radhuni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calcutta, India
Posts: 958
You know we use lots of oil in Indian cooking.

One day I'm preparing Parantha with lots of oil and the oil, which heated almost to smoking spilt on my right hand and you can easily guess the consequences.
__________________

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.