"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-14-2007, 01:13 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Step 1 - Cut up jalapenos for a pot of chili

Step 2 - Wash hands

Step 3 - Use restroom

I forgot step 2
ouch !

Old 09-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingshirt View Post
Step 1 - Cut up jalapenos for a pot of chili

Step 2 - Wash hands

Step 3 - Use restroom

I forgot step 2
ouch !
OMG, I laughed so hard. Thank you, thank you for sharing!

Old 09-14-2007, 01:51 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

The worst kitchen accident I can think of was when I used to make fried chicken more often. I kept a jar for grease under the sink; one evening, after making fried chicken and pouring off the grease into the jar, I accidentally tipped the jar over and some of the grease went down in the space between the edge of the counter and the stove; it was an old-fashioned kitchen, so the stove wasn't built in - it was free-standing. The smell of rancid chicken grease permeated the kitchen for days. That mess is hard to clean up!
Old 09-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The worst kitchen accident I can think of was when I used to make fried chicken more often. I kept a jar for grease under the sink; one evening, after making fried chicken and pouring off the grease into the jar, I accidentally tipped the jar over and some of the grease went down in the space between the edge of the counter and the stove; it was an old-fashioned kitchen, so the stove wasn't built in - it was free-standing. The smell of rancid chicken grease permeated the kitchen for days. That mess is hard to clean up!
I can so relate. I tore my kitchen apart looking for a nasty smell a couple of months ago but couldn't find it. I got a new fridge last weekend and when I took the old one out, I found a mummified (previously frozen) chicken fried steak underneath. Sooo gross. The strangest thing is - no one seems to know how it got there.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
OMG, I laughed so hard. Thank you, thank you for sharing!

Ditto, that was a good one.....um, bad one.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:18 PM   #36
Cook

Right after Julia Child's "Baking with Julia" series aired on PBS, I got the cook book that went with it. There is a recipe in there for chocolate balloon bowls. You melt your dipping chocolate, dip an inflated balloon in it and let it set. When the chocolate is solid you pop your balloon, and voila!, a chocolate bowl.

So I decided I wanted to try these. I somehow got my chocolate too hot. I would dip the balloon set in on the sheet and within about 30 seconds... POP!! I must have had 4-5 balloons pop on me before I got it right. I was finding little spots of chocolate on my kitchen walls and cabinets for the next 3 years.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:40 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
Right after Julia Child's "Baking with Julia" series aired on PBS, I got the cook book that went with it. There is a recipe in there for chocolate balloon bowls. You melt your dipping chocolate, dip an inflated balloon in it and let it set. When the chocolate is solid you pop your balloon, and voila!, a chocolate bowl.

So I decided I wanted to try these. I somehow got my chocolate too hot. I would dip the balloon set in on the sheet and within about 30 seconds... POP!! I must have had 4-5 balloons pop on me before I got it right. I was finding little spots of chocolate on my kitchen walls and cabinets for the next 3 years.
I love the idea for chocolate balloon bowls. I would never have thought of them maybe popping but your description sounds like an episode of "I Love Lucy". So funny. Thanks for sharing that.

Also, welcome to DC. We love funny cooks here!
Old 09-14-2007, 06:03 PM   #38
Master Chef

I dropped a whole electric fry pan full of hot grease from frying chicken on the kitchen floor. Boy, did I do a jump back Jack!
Old 09-14-2007, 09:59 PM   #39
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I love the idea for chocolate balloon bowls. I would never have thought of them maybe popping but your description sounds like an episode of "I Love Lucy". So funny. Thanks for sharing that.

Also, welcome to DC. We love funny cooks here!
Hehe... you're welcome. It was something to see alright... there wasn't anything to do but gasp and put your hands up to cover your face when one exploded. They sent chocolate everywhere. Cupboards, walls, ceiling, floor... everywhere. I think the last of it was finally removed when I re-wallpapered the soffits.

The chocolate cups were fun. (Although I've never re-done them since... surprise surprise. ) I used them as bowls for sundaes. They were very good.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:06 AM   #40
Sous Chef

You know we use lots of oil in Indian cooking.

One day I'm preparing Parantha with lots of oil and the oil, which heated almost to smoking spilt on my right hand and you can easily guess the consequences.

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote