"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-23-2009, 11:51 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Derek, go back and read Scotch's post again. He never said you can't do it. He said that you can't count on it any more than an acting student can count on winning an Oscar etc. That does not mean you can not do it. It means that you need to pay your dues and put in a lot of time to get to that point. You are not just going to walk into a situation where you have that type of job. People need to see something from you first. Proof that your ideas are worth their time. The only way to get those people to even see your ideas is to work from the bottom up. You can't just make an appointment to go in and see these people. You need an in. You get an in by working in the industry and making a name for yourself. That takes a lot of time and even then there is no guarantee that it will get you where you want to go. I am not saying this to discourage you. It sounds like you have an idea of what you really want so by all means go for it. You have a great positive attitude and that will do you well. Remain realistic at the same time though.
__________________

__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:09 AM   #12
Head Chef
 
Scotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,042
GB is right, Derek. I'm NOT saying you CAN'T do it, I'm just saying it's not a sure thing and that you need to pick a career because you ENJOY it, not because you think there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. There very well may be that pot of gold for you, especially if you work hard and have the talent, but it's never a sure thing. Just be certain that you like what you're getting into in case things don't work out as you hope they will. The last thing you want is to get stuck in a job you don't really like.
__________________

__________________
Doug Collins
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:37 AM   #13
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Derek, go back and read Scotch's post again. He never said you can't do it. He said that you can't count on it any more than an acting student can count on winning an Oscar etc. That does not mean you can not do it. It means that you need to pay your dues and put in a lot of time to get to that point. You are not just going to walk into a situation where you have that type of job. People need to see something from you first. Proof that your ideas are worth their time. The only way to get those people to even see your ideas is to work from the bottom up. You can't just make an appointment to go in and see these people. You need an in. You get an in by working in the industry and making a name for yourself. That takes a lot of time and even then there is no guarantee that it will get you where you want to go. I am not saying this to discourage you. It sounds like you have an idea of what you really want so by all means go for it. You have a great positive attitude and that will do you well. Remain realistic at the same time though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
GB is right, Derek. I'm NOT saying you CAN'T do it, I'm just saying it's not a sure thing and that you need to pick a career because you ENJOY it, not because you think there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. There very well may be that pot of gold for you, especially if you work hard and have the talent, but it's never a sure thing. Just be certain that you like what you're getting into in case things don't work out as you hope they will. The last thing you want is to get stuck in a job you don't really like.
Sorry guys, Hey guys,

I'm not picking this career because I enjoy it, but I'm picking this career because I know what I'm doing in the programs that I'm about to learn,

You say, Then why are you going to school to learn it?


Well that's the easy part, I need a degree and a professional portfolio to be able to open the doors to my career,

In today's world people will not take an average Joe / Jane off the street just because he/she knows a certain set of skills, and I want my education from my college to be my business card, You know what I'm trying to say?
__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:51 AM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
...You say, Then why are you going to school to learn it?

Well that's the easy part, I need a degree and a professional portfolio to be able to open the doors to my career,

In today's world people will not take an average Joe / Jane off the street just because he/she knows a certain set of skills, and I want my education from my college to be my business card, You know what I'm trying to say?
That is what my husband was up against as well. He had the knowledge, talent, and drive. What he didn't have was the little piece of paper saying he had it. Now he has the paper, but CAD jobs in our area are dwindling away at the moment. He applies for all that we can find, and is even looking in other areas. Good luck Derek.

Barbara
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:59 AM   #15
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
That is what my husband was up against as well. He had the knowledge, talent, and drive. What he didn't have was the little piece of paper saying he had it. Now he has the paper, but CAD jobs in our area are dwindling away at the moment. He applies for all that we can find, and is even looking in other areas. Good luck Derek.

Barbara
If you guys don't mind, why not trying moving to a place that needs cad work, like Louisiana, Florida, or some where like a tropical place that has hurricanes?

I just don't want to end up like my brother who has a masters and a bachelors in history,

He then works in a dang candy store with all his education and hes happy, He could become a history teacher, College professor, or an history anthropologist like on Alton Brown,


"I still think that woman is his wife"


"I don't ever want that happen to me "speaking bluntly"
__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #16
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Quote:
He then works in a dang candy store with all his education and hes happy
If he's happy thats what matters. Do what makes YOU happy and you can't go wrong.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:01 PM   #17
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
If he's happy thats what matters. Do what makes YOU happy and you can't go wrong.
May I ask this question Alix?

If people send $$$$ on College education some times just to party or go some where for a little while, Why don't they save the $$ and go to the library or some where in that nature to learn things?

I just don't get it, Alix, I mean people like make me mad because the learn all this stuff just to work in a place like a super market and be happy?


Don't get me wrong I love my little bro but he needs to use his education he earned at college some where in his life, I know I suck at my grammar, and I hope you understand what I'm trying to say!
__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Life is too short to do something you do not enjoy doing Chile Chef. In many, even most cases, people go to college at an age where they have no idea what they want to do with their life. They take a guess at what they think they may like and then go to school for that. In many cases they find out that they really do not like what they picked. Very few people I know are in the profession that they went to school for. They may have started out there, but then changed careers after realizing they made a bad choice for themselves.

If your brother is happy then what is wrong with what he is doing. What you are saying about your brother makes me think of a big difference between my mother and me. If she buys a food at the store for the first time and ends up not liking it she will force herself to finish every last bit of it. She paid for it so she does not want to waste it. Me on the other hand will have no problem giving the rest away or throwing it out. Why should I make myself miserable eating something I don't like just because I don't want to money I spent on it to go to waste? Who is better off, my mom is is unhappily finishing something she does not like or me who is happy and not eating something I don't like? We are both out the same amount of money, but one of us is happy and one is not.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #19
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Life is too short to do something you do not enjoy doing Chile Chef. In many, even most cases, people go to college at an age where they have no idea what they want to do with their life. They take a guess at what they think they may like and then go to school for that. In many cases they find out that they really do not like what they picked. Very few people I know are in the profession that they went to school for. They may have started out there, but then changed careers after realizing they made a bad choice for themselves.

If your brother is happy then what is wrong with what he is doing. What you are saying about your brother makes me think of a big difference between my mother and me. If she buys a food at the store for the first time and ends up not liking it she will force herself to finish every last bit of it. She paid for it so she does not want to waste it. Me on the other hand will have no problem giving the rest away or throwing it out. Why should I make myself miserable eating something I don't like just because I don't want to money I spent on it to go to waste? Who is better off, my mom is is unhappily finishing something she does not like or me who is happy and not eating something I don't like? We are both out the same amount of money, but one of us is happy and one is not.
I agree with your EXCELLENT ADVICE GB, You know for me though every single inch of my being is telling me to take this route, For me I'm a very self driving force "I don't know how to explain that better", Anyways I love graphics more then you think, No matter how small the task is, GB. And I know that graphics is a part of photography, a very mall part though.
__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Then for you it makes sense to do what you are doing. You enjoy it and so you are forging ahead which is great. For your brother though, he seems to have found what he likes if he is happy as you say he is. In his case it might not make sense for him to go into whatever it was he went to school for.
__________________

__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.