Would some one help me out please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
OK here's the deal?

I want to go in the career field where I can walk into a meeting and with my 3d graphics skills and throw in some idea's on a story, for a movie, game, commercial, animation short some times when you find them in pixar movies? Stay about 1-3 hours get paid leave, then do it again later?

What job is that, and what career path is that?

So, at this college you attend, do they have a career center? Have you spoken with a guidance counselor of any kind?
Do you want to just "throw in some idea's" and leave? Or do you also want to stick around and do the work? Sounds like you'd want to free-lance. It does include creating a body of work for a portfolio, not just participating in brain-storming sessions.
Go to your college's career center. They all have them.
(ideas- plural, idea's- possessive)

For starters, you can move out here to L.A., walk into Dreamworks and present them with your ideas, but in the meantime you'll be waiting tables to support yourself. Freelancing is tough work.

What you're describing isn't graphic design, exactly. A job where you throw out ideas and then leave, and are done with the project, would be consulting or creative directing. The thing is, the people who do those jobs have spent years working through the ranks, putting in their time, doing the actual work that would bring those ideas to fruition. And/or, they're brilliant and highly educated (think masters degree.) In short, it's not an entry-level position. It comes after lots of hard work, lots of years on the job, and as a result of a cumulative portfolio and reputation.
If you were to pursue a degree in graphic design, your classes would cover the elements and principles of design, color theory, typography, and advanced industry-standard software programs, for starters. In most schools you'll also take (and be required to pass) foundational art classes and art history classes. Often graphic designers are also proficient illustrators, computer programmers, or web developers; skills which make them more versatile to potential employers.
The field of graphic design is highly competitive. There's a lot of designers out there, and many of them have insanely expensive degrees from art schools. And, since it's a job that can be done remotely, freelancers in North America and Europe are competing with people in emerging markets like India and China, where designers are able to charge much less for their work due to differences in the cost of living.
I don't mean to totally rain on your parade, but I'd rather your decision on what to study be as informed as possible. School is expensive, and you don't want to find out part-way in that you don't actually want to do for a living what you're studying.
That said, there are definitely careers in 3D animation. Depending on the school, it may be its own program, or it may be part of an illustration program, or something else. A career counsellors will be able to guide you in that regard. If that's what you love doing, then definitely go for it! But be prepared for the reality that you're most likely going to have to do the grunt-work for a while before you advance to directing or consulting.

What you're describing isn't graphic design, exactly. A job where you throw out ideas and then leave, and are done with the project, would be consulting or creative directing. The thing is, the people who do those jobs have spent years working through the ranks, putting in their time, doing the actual work that would bring those ideas to fruition. And/or, they're brilliant and highly educated (think masters degree.) In short, it's not an entry-level position. It comes after lots of hard work, lots of years on the job, and as a result of a cumulative portfolio and reputation.
If you were to pursue a degree in graphic design, your classes would cover the elements and principles of design, color theory, typography, and advanced industry-standard software programs, for starters. In most schools you'll also take (and be required to pass) foundational art classes and art history classes. Often graphic designers are also proficient illustrators, computer programmers, or web developers; skills which make them more versatile to potential employers.
The field of graphic design is highly competitive. There's a lot of designers out there, and many of them have insanely expensive degrees from art schools. And, since it's a job that can be done remotely, freelancers in North America and Europe are competing with people in emerging markets like India and China, where designers are able to charge much less for their work due to differences in the cost of living.
I don't mean to totally rain on your parade, but I'd rather your decision on what to study be as informed as possible. School is expensive, and you don't want to find out part-way in that you don't actually want to do for a living what you're studying.
That said, there are definitely careers in 3D animation. Depending on the school, it may be its own program, or it may be part of an illustration program, or something else. A career counsellors will be able to guide you in that regard. If that's what you love doing, then definitely go for it! But be prepared for the reality that you're most likely going to have to do the grunt-work for a while before you advance to directing or consulting.
Hi AT,

You know I am pursuing a career in the art of 3d graphics, textures, and so on. Yeah I know it's a young mans game but this old dog has a few tricks up his sleeve, and a good work ethic, too boot!

Derek, you simply can't count on getting your dream job any more than an acting student can count on winning an Oscar, a law student can count on being appointed to the Supreme Court, an English major can count on writing a best seller, or a college athlete can count on winning the Heisman Trophy.

Pick a field you ENJOY, one in which you have some talent. Then if you don't happen to land your dream job, you'll still be happy working in the field.

Remember, in highly competitive fields making it big is as much about timing, luck, and who you know as it is about talent and hard work. That's just the way the world works.

Derek, you simply can't count on getting your dream job any more than an acting student can count on winning an Oscar, a law student can count on being appointed to the Supreme Court, an English major can count on writing a best seller, or a college athlete can count on winning the Heisman Trophy.

Pick a field you ENJOY, one in which you have some talent. Then if you don't happen to land your dream job, you'll still be happy working in the field.

Remember, in highly competitive fields making it big is as much about timing, luck, and who you know as it is about talent and hard work. That's just the way the world works.
Well mate, Your wrong I'm a go getter and if I can get any kind of graphics job by working my arse off I will, Just watch and see, bro! Plus I love it when people say I can't do stuff and prove them wrong, I' am not trying to be mean or anything, I'm just stating a fact, Heck if I can get a job in the graphics world even sitting at a desk 12 hours a day putting something simple graphics together and printing them out, I'd be happy, And therefor it would be my dream job where I can better my self.

Derek, go back and read Scotch's post again. He never said you can't do it. He said that you can't count on it any more than an acting student can count on winning an Oscar etc. That does not mean you can not do it. It means that you need to pay your dues and put in a lot of time to get to that point. You are not just going to walk into a situation where you have that type of job. People need to see something from you first. Proof that your ideas are worth their time. The only way to get those people to even see your ideas is to work from the bottom up. You can't just make an appointment to go in and see these people. You need an in. You get an in by working in the industry and making a name for yourself. That takes a lot of time and even then there is no guarantee that it will get you where you want to go. I am not saying this to discourage you. It sounds like you have an idea of what you really want so by all means go for it. You have a great positive attitude and that will do you well. Remain realistic at the same time though.

Last edited:
GB is right, Derek. I'm NOT saying you CAN'T do it, I'm just saying it's not a sure thing and that you need to pick a career because you ENJOY it, not because you think there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. There very well may be that pot of gold for you, especially if you work hard and have the talent, but it's never a sure thing. Just be certain that you like what you're getting into in case things don't work out as you hope they will. The last thing you want is to get stuck in a job you don't really like.

Derek, go back and read Scotch's post again. He never said you can't do it. He said that you can't count on it any more than an acting student can count on winning an Oscar etc. That does not mean you can not do it. It means that you need to pay your dues and put in a lot of time to get to that point. You are not just going to walk into a situation where you have that type of job. People need to see something from you first. Proof that your ideas are worth their time. The only way to get those people to even see your ideas is to work from the bottom up. You can't just make an appointment to go in and see these people. You need an in. You get an in by working in the industry and making a name for yourself. That takes a lot of time and even then there is no guarantee that it will get you where you want to go. I am not saying this to discourage you. It sounds like you have an idea of what you really want so by all means go for it. You have a great positive attitude and that will do you well. Remain realistic at the same time though.

GB is right, Derek. I'm NOT saying you CAN'T do it, I'm just saying it's not a sure thing and that you need to pick a career because you ENJOY it, not because you think there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. There very well may be that pot of gold for you, especially if you work hard and have the talent, but it's never a sure thing. Just be certain that you like what you're getting into in case things don't work out as you hope they will. The last thing you want is to get stuck in a job you don't really like.
Sorry guys, Hey guys,

I'm not picking this career because I enjoy it, but I'm picking this career because I know what I'm doing in the programs that I'm about to learn,

You say, Then why are you going to school to learn it?

Well that's the easy part, I need a degree and a professional portfolio to be able to open the doors to my career,

In today's world people will not take an average Joe / Jane off the street just because he/she knows a certain set of skills, and I want my education from my college to be my business card, You know what I'm trying to say?

...You say, Then why are you going to school to learn it?

Well that's the easy part, I need a degree and a professional portfolio to be able to open the doors to my career,

In today's world people will not take an average Joe / Jane off the street just because he/she knows a certain set of skills, and I want my education from my college to be my business card, You know what I'm trying to say?
That is what my husband was up against as well. He had the knowledge, talent, and drive. What he didn't have was the little piece of paper saying he had it. Now he has the paper, but CAD jobs in our area are dwindling away at the moment. He applies for all that we can find, and is even looking in other areas. Good luck Derek.

:)Barbara

That is what my husband was up against as well. He had the knowledge, talent, and drive. What he didn't have was the little piece of paper saying he had it. Now he has the paper, but CAD jobs in our area are dwindling away at the moment. He applies for all that we can find, and is even looking in other areas. Good luck Derek.

:)Barbara
If you guys don't mind, why not trying moving to a place that needs cad work, like Louisiana, Florida, or some where like a tropical place that has hurricanes?

I just don't want to end up like my brother who has a masters and a bachelors in history,

He then works in a dang candy store with all his education and hes happy, He could become a history teacher, College professor, or an history anthropologist like on Alton Brown,

"I still think that woman is his wife"

"I don't ever want that happen to me "speaking bluntly"

If he's happy thats what matters. Do what makes YOU happy and you can't go wrong.
May I ask this question Alix?

If people send $$$$ on College education some times just to party or go some where for a little while, Why don't they save the $$ and go to the library or some where in that nature to learn things?

I just don't get it, Alix, I mean people like make me mad because the learn all this stuff just to work in a place like a super market and be happy?

Don't get me wrong I love my little bro but he needs to use his education he earned at college some where in his life, I know I suck at my grammar, and I hope you understand what I'm trying to say!

Life is too short to do something you do not enjoy doing Chile Chef. In many, even most cases, people go to college at an age where they have no idea what they want to do with their life. They take a guess at what they think they may like and then go to school for that. In many cases they find out that they really do not like what they picked. Very few people I know are in the profession that they went to school for. They may have started out there, but then changed careers after realizing they made a bad choice for themselves.

If your brother is happy then what is wrong with what he is doing. What you are saying about your brother makes me think of a big difference between my mother and me. If she buys a food at the store for the first time and ends up not liking it she will force herself to finish every last bit of it. She paid for it so she does not want to waste it. Me on the other hand will have no problem giving the rest away or throwing it out. Why should I make myself miserable eating something I don't like just because I don't want to money I spent on it to go to waste? Who is better off, my mom is is unhappily finishing something she does not like or me who is happy and not eating something I don't like? We are both out the same amount of money, but one of us is happy and one is not.

Life is too short to do something you do not enjoy doing Chile Chef. In many, even most cases, people go to college at an age where they have no idea what they want to do with their life. They take a guess at what they think they may like and then go to school for that. In many cases they find out that they really do not like what they picked. Very few people I know are in the profession that they went to school for. They may have started out there, but then changed careers after realizing they made a bad choice for themselves.

If your brother is happy then what is wrong with what he is doing. What you are saying about your brother makes me think of a big difference between my mother and me. If she buys a food at the store for the first time and ends up not liking it she will force herself to finish every last bit of it. She paid for it so she does not want to waste it. Me on the other hand will have no problem giving the rest away or throwing it out. Why should I make myself miserable eating something I don't like just because I don't want to money I spent on it to go to waste? Who is better off, my mom is is unhappily finishing something she does not like or me who is happy and not eating something I don't like? We are both out the same amount of money, but one of us is happy and one is not.
I agree with your EXCELLENT ADVICE GB, You know for me though every single inch of my being is telling me to take this route, For me I'm a very self driving force "I don't know how to explain that better", Anyways I love graphics more then you think, No matter how small the task is, GB. And I know that graphics is a part of photography, a very mall part though.

Then for you it makes sense to do what you are doing. You enjoy it and so you are forging ahead which is great. For your brother though, he seems to have found what he likes if he is happy as you say he is. In his case it might not make sense for him to go into whatever it was he went to school for.

Back
Top Bottom