Would you buy groceries at an auction?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
The Associated Press: Sold! Bargain-hunters buying groceries at auction

From article:

Out of toilet paper? Need to pick up a few things for dinner? Take a number and start bidding.

Many bargain hunters these days are trading supermarket aisles for the auction circuit in search of deep discounts on everything from cereal to spare ribs. Past the sell-by date? Bidders are happy to ignore that detail if they're getting a good deal.

As consumers seek relief from the recession and spiraling food prices, grocery auctions are gaining in popularity as an easy way to cut costs. The sales operate like regular auctions, but with bidders vying for dry goods and frozen foods instead of antiques and collectibles. Some auctioneers even accept food stamps.

When Kirk Williams held his first grocery auction in rural Pennsylvania last month, nearly 300 people showed up. Astonished by the turnout, he's scheduling auctions at locations throughout northeastern Pennsylvania.

I think I saw an article on this a little while ago, kleenex.

Sure, I would. However, I wouldn't bid on anything unless I'd had an opportunity to view the lots and expiration dates on the goods where applicable. For nonperishables, my paddle would be smokin' if the price was good.

I love a bargain, and an auction with great deals sounds like fun to me. I wouldn't buy frozen items or meat though.

Back
Top Bottom