"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Thanks for all of your opinions. We've talked it over with my husband and he and I have decided not to get it.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:35 PM   #12
Master Chef

Dina,

I will say that I would jump at the opportunity!!!! I love dogs and could not imagine my life or world without them. The first dog I remember having is a cockapoo named Fluffy. Such a super sweet dog that my mom kept till her death. Maybe that is why my mom could not bring her self to keep a dog longer than 2 years, maybe she could not handle going through that pain again. I think it would be a wonderful companion for you! And if you do get one, I want to see some pics please!!!!!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:36 PM   #13
Master Chef

Awe Dina!!!!! Sorry, I just missed your post! Well, that may be the best decision for you! If you change your mind, do keep us posted!
Old 04-21-2008, 11:38 PM   #14
Master Chef

i'd love a dog. a dog like a racing dog, if we owned a yard. miniature dogs seem mean.
i'll stay with felines.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:32 AM   #15
Master Chef

The best way to know is to go see them and follow your gut (not your heart it will instantly melt and you will probably come home with one). Just watch them play and interact and it should give you an indication of their temperment.
Also, as Andy pointed out, they could have the best or worst parts. This includes any health problems common to both breeds, so check up on the web to see what problems are common to both.
For miniature schnauzers, I can say my neighbor has one and as much as I love dogs I swear I am gonna put a No-Bark collar on it!! Once it starts, it doesn't stop, yap yap yap yap yap yap. They are gonna get in trouble soon as last night it was still going at 4am... grrrrr.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:01 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

How close is the dog to your property, Buddy?
Close enough for one of these? PetEdge: IntelliPet Bark Solver
I have no idea how it works, but it's a thought.....
Old 04-22-2008, 07:22 AM   #17
Senior Cook

At what point does one draw the line between "designer dog" and "mutt"?

My dogs have both been pound-rescue mutts. I know some people like certain breeds, but there are so many dogs that need adoption largely because they don't have a pedigree that breed hardly matters to me.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
At what point does one draw the line between "designer dog" and "mutt"?
In my mind, you don't. They're all mutts to me, but try to tell that to someone that just paid $800 for a Chiapoo

But technically speaking........ you need to breed four generations for a dog to be considered a "breed". You have a Golden Retriever, you have a Poodle. It is not a Goldendoodle until four generations down the line. That way you can take one Goldendoodle and breed it with another Goldendoodle and you get a litter of Goldendoodles..... all similar as far as a litter of pups go. Not one that looks like a GR and one that looks like a Poodle.
Granted, they can only be registered with their own private registery as such. They are not "recognized" as a breed by the ACK, UKC or FCI.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:28 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
How close is the dog to your property, Buddy?
Close enough for one of these? PetEdge: IntelliPet Bark Solver
I have no idea how it works, but it's a thought.....
Right next door... bout two of em should do the trick...

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

great choice

A resounding yes! ( though I cannot vouch for every cockapoo/schnauzer mix) Ours is the sweetest dog ever and that is his mix. He doesn't shed, is obedient, non-aggressive, stays beside us whenever we are sick, and doesn't bark because we've taught him not to. (He does "sing" when we ask him to though) Sweetest disposition ever, though he was the calmest of his litter. Even his high strung sister whom we've kept in contact with over the last 2 years isn't bad... just a lot more active. :) Hope that helps!