WOW Do You Really Eat That

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NetCooker

Assistant Cook
I was amazed recently when national geographic aired a show which showed that in japan they actually eat live young octopus.. ( my goodness yak). Really guys I wont go that extreme but what is the worst tasting food you have eaten?

Sea urchin sushi... if the urchin looks like baby poop....
don't eat it. It is bad and IS baby poop.

(tried it again many years later and it was fine. Didn't look
like BP either.)

Live baby octopi... nah. I halfway think octopuseses are intelligent
anyway.

Not exactly, Tattrat.

The worst thing I've ever put in my mouth was oatmeal. I cannot stand the stuff! It's gooey and slimey, and tastes like snot. (IMO)

I would have to agree that uni (sea urchin) is pretty nasty... and when I tried it, it was not fresh. I don't think I will ever eat it again.

I did see a show on the Travel Channel where these two guys went to China or Japan and would pick up live octopus and pop it head first in their mouth and then try to eat it with the tentacles sprawling out of their mouth grasping for their life... kinda reminded me of an Alien flick! It was crazy... I don't think I could ever eat anything still living like that... anything that can crawl back out of your tummy or mouth!! Blekkk!!!

is the Beak in the squid / octopi inedible though?

like trying to eat the sheet of acetate off the overhead projector as the Professor was writing down your next asignment :D

Last edited:
oldcampcook said:
Try baluck (sp), the tasty half developed chicken in the shell that Phillipino men think helps out their sexual endeavors.

Balut. And I have had the (mis)fortune of trying one...not my fave. They are like street snack in the Philippines.

i would eat live octupus in japan, ive thought of doing this recently.

part of me would do it to be accepted and not to be impolite, part of me really wants to taste(feel) what its like.

Te Papa - Tai Awatea / Knowledge Net - Huhu on the menu

I have eaten one of the above, cooked mind you. And it tasted just as described but I couldn't be tempted with an other.
The Maori eat some other things that are...umm..odd. Rotten corn for one. They do leave it in fresh running water in sacks to attain that state though, and it absolutely stinks when being cooked. Some eat it like porridge with cream and sugar. Not for me. The smell was enough to have me running.:wacko:

Back
Top Bottom