"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-28-2005, 10:56 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Wow! Rough night!

We had a bit of a tornado outbreak last night. Here in Arkansas, one whole community was completley lost and several homes just 5 miles west of us were destroyed.

A lumberyard was hit near Russellville strewing lumber across I-40 and causing a major accident which killed one person. (the only injury/fatality reported in the state)

Thankfully the whole system formed into a squall line about 5 miles before hitting us and went from tornadic to severe. We got a lot of high wind and hail but made it through okay.

If you don't think God answers prayers, move to Tornado Alley.

God Bless

~ Raven ~

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005_nov_27.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	680  

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:01 AM   #2
Master Chef

I'm glad that you are okay, Raven. Those storms popped up just East of us and we didn't even see any rain, just got cloudy and windy.
I don't like the winter storms like that, it's the time of year we don't normally have them and we are pretty much unprepared for them. Stay safe!

Old 11-28-2005, 04:21 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Raven, I heard there were about 20 tornadoes in Ark today. Thinking of all of y'all down there.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:09 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Glad you made it through with out any problems.
I don't know how you guys who live in bad weather areas do it.
We all panic at the thought of even one snow flake.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:20 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Glad to hear you are alright Raven..That would have scarred the tar out of me...

kadesma
Old 11-29-2005, 10:27 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Thanks Gang

Yeah it was worrysome alright, the weather service is estimating between 10 and 20 tornadoes and have so far confirmed 9.

One news station is reporting that the entire community of Cherry Hill (near Russellville) is just gone completly. The weather service has rated that one at F-3.

It turns out it was not the debris from the lumberyard that killed that guy on I-40 but instead he accidently (being dark and not seeing it) drove right into that same F-3. Worse still, he was driving a conversion van that had a high wind profile anyway.

The really good news is that it was nowhere near as bad as it could have been. The same "recipe" came together on March 1st, 1997 which spawned an F-5 that was a mile and a half wide, sat down in Arkadelphia, destroying 3 of the 5 blocks of that city, and didn't lift again for 80 miles (which until that storm was believed impossible). That day we had 5 on the ground at one time.

That recipe came together again on January 21st, 1999 when we set a worlds record for number of tornadoes spawned in an 8 hour period, 57! The next day another major tornado outbreak broke loose in Texas and set the record again with 58.

To tell the truth, Arizona is looking awfully good right now

Thanks again everybody and God Bless

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:48 AM   #7
Cook

Send a message via AIM to hellschef
sending positive thoughts to yall out there, ive only seen the aftermath. cant imagine.