"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-25-2008, 05:22 PM   #131
Executive Chef

thanks Barbara, I must have been tired when I read that originally.

Hero

sublime
indicative
extrapolate
snail

my best friend in high school was named Gail
we were complete opposites, my nickname for her was snail

she was very shy, and of that, I'd extrapolate
it annoyed her so and was something she grew to hate

I adored her all my life though
she was in fact my hero

her quiet self was indicative of her sweet spirit and loving heart
meeting her in the ninth grade, I fell in love with her from the start

her taste in clothes was simply sublime
I didn't have the energy, or effort to buy for me, nor the time

we're now adults, with nothing left in common at all
hoping she's full of health and love and that the life she's made is truly a ball

I wrote this due to just having spent a few hours with her @ her friends house, just over the hill from where I live. There was a birthday party for the friends' 8 year old son and she went, since it was close to me and our house, I met her there just to talk a bit.
We are now very different. She's never been married, has no children of course and works in Holyweird w/ movie types too. But her memory of us and all we did as little girls is gone, not there any longer. Mine is vivid and without hers, it's just hard to keep a conversation going on. She was a wonderful person and I loved her so much. Although we are 10 days apart in age only, and, the same birth sign, we're opposites in our personalities. I could have easily left after 3 minutes as I kept the conversation going or started each subject. She would just answer. Never asked about my husband who she grew up with too, never mentioned our children or asked about any of them nor asked how many grands we have. I think it's sad to lose a really good friend but maybe some day we'll reconnect somehow...

Old 09-06-2008, 07:18 PM   #132
Master Chef

I had a hero once.......it was my 30 year old mother...........you didn't mess around with her........she grew up on the east side of Philly...tough woman...there was nothing sublime about her..........what you saw is what you got.....I remember one time as a 5 year old sequestering myself under a bed and thought I was safe...nahhhhhhh......she just lifted the bed up.......with both hands.......it must have been indicative of the adrenaline flowing thru her body........you didn't mess with her.......

But she willed you to do your best........there was not such a word as "can't" in her vocabulary......for some reason my sister Linda was allowed to bring "C's" home.....I wasn't...........she never gave up on us...........

Then she fell sick while I was in 3rd grade......in and out of the hospitals.......even at age 9,I even extrapolated (okay big word for noticed) that she was losing weight.... ....she just disappeared before my eyes..........the last thing that she ever did was to attend my field trip to the circus.......she was wearing a white blouse and sky blue skirt and one of the girls in our coterie of 5 spilled a red soda on her white blouse and she even didn't get mad........I remember waking up one night and joined her on the sofa, she hugged me closely to her.........we always talked about everything......then the following week she left for the hospital for the final time..........I never saw her again..........anyone who says that love is sublime has never loved........my great uncle who was with her to the end asked her if she wanted to hold a rosary......my mother was neither religious or sentimental but at the very end she grasped it...and she died during the night.............true story........love your mothers and let them know how much you care.........don't be slow as snails to express it......forgive all faults.......and love like you never loved before........

Old 09-06-2008, 10:54 PM   #133
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
I had a hero once.......it was my 30 year old mother...........you didn't mess around with her........she grew up on the east side of Philly...tough woman...there was nothing sublime about her..........what you saw is what you got.....I remember one time as a 5 year old sequestering myself under a bed and thought I was safe...nahhhhhhh......she just lifted the bed up.......with both hands.......it must have been indicative of the adrenaline flowing thru her body........you didn't mess with her.......

But she willed you to do your best........there was not such a word as "can't" in her vocabulary......for some reason my sister Linda was allowed to bring "C's" home.....I wasn't...........she never gave up on us...........

Then she fell sick while I was in 3rd grade......in and out of the hospitals.......even at age 9,I even extrapolated (okay big word for noticed) that she was losing weight.... ....she just disappeared before my eyes..........the last thing that she ever did was to attend my field trip to the circus.......she was wearing a white blouse and sky blue skirt and one of the girls in our coterie of 5 spilled a red soda on her white blouse and she even didn't get mad........I remember waking up one night and joined her on the sofa, she hugged me closely to her.........we always talked about everything......then the following week she left for the hospital for the final time..........I never saw her again..........anyone who says that love is sublime has never loved........my great uncle who was with her to the end asked her if she wanted to hold a rosary......my mother was neither religious or sentimental but at the very end she grasped it...and she died during the night.............true story........love your mothers and let them know how much you care.........don't be slow as snails to express it......forgive all faults.......and love like you never loved before........
Best submission yet, IMHO. I could relate from personal experience. You obviously loved your mother, and still do. That makes you one of the great ones around here.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:13 PM   #134
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I agree. That was very good Debs.

I feel terrible that I have been so slack in writing. I will hopefully do better when I get home from vacation.

Barbara
Old 09-06-2008, 11:45 PM   #135
Traveling Welcome Wagon

“Popeye,” Olive Oyl exclaimed, “you’re my hero!”

Rolling his eyes, Popeye muttered, “Aw shucks Olive Oyl, it wasn’t anything special.”

“Nothing special!” Olive Oyl practically screeched, indicative of her highly agitated state. “It was a sublime deed of daring do!”

Becoming agitated himself, Popeye could not help but extrapolate from her rantings that Olive Oyl’s weekly stalker therapy sessions were not working. “Why are you even here in my spinach garden?” he asked, backing toward the rear door of the house.

“I just had to see you Popeye!” declared Olive Oyl. “I love you, and now, after you saved me from that hideous creature, I know that you love me too!”

“Hideous creature?” Popeye asked. “Yes, it was a hideous creature. Do you know how much damage a snail can do to a spinach plant?! But it wasn't going to hurt you!”

Olive Oyl stood with her mouth open, not sure she heard correctly. “You mean you weren’t saving me from that creature? You were just saving your spinach? I’ll show you what I think of your precious spinach!”

Finally reaching the back door, just as Olive Oyl pulled out her pruning shears, Popeye slammed the door behind him, unable to watch the tragedy now taking place in his spinach garden. Remembering the love he once had for Olive Oyl, his heart was heavy as he reached for the phone.

Barbara
Old 09-08-2008, 01:37 AM   #136
Traveling Welcome Wagon

How about some new words?

bus
necklace
opportunity
report card
strain

Barbara