Writing Challenge--For Anyone, Not Just Writers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i was baking a tater to cover with cheese, sour cream, & scallions. i watched television till commercials interrupted me.
i wanted to take a nap for a few, 'cept i needed to watch my potato.
i decided to clean.
i began with my dining room, where i found a $600 check in a drawer that i'd yet to cash! i was ecstatic, as money was very tight.
i was so inspired, i decided to write. i went to my typewriter, i prefer that over my computer/printer, & placed my special & expensive bonded paperin my machine.
maybe i'll buy a word processser...
until then...
i'd been wanting a kitty. i missed my pets from befoore i lived here, & a kitty was allowed now.
i went to an animal shelter. several were feral & bit & scratched.
then i met my new kitty- soft, pretty, gentle. purring, & loving.
i've yet to name her.

man, I just wrote a story that I really liked. When I sent to send it, somehow I was no longer logged in and lost it. Don't know if I can re-write it like it was. Will try later.:mad:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

man, I just wrote a story that I really liked. When I sent to send it, somehow I was no longer logged in and lost it. Don't know if I can re-write it like it was. Will try later.:mad:

If that happens just hit the back button in your browser, hopefully all your text will still be there.

I stumbled my way through the forest using the fading lightening flashes as a guide. After I had been walking for an hour or so I thought I caught a glimpse of Misty.

"Misty! Here girl!" I called.

But there was no answer. Instead, a small brown kitty poked its head out of the bushes. It sat there looking at me as if it wanted me to follow, then turned and stalked back into the thick shrubbery.

I shrugged. I had gone this far, I might as well keep going. I stepped into the bushes after the cat and began to follow. Every so often it would look back at me as if to make sure I was still there, then keep walking. I wondered when I was going to reach any sort of destination. I had a nap that afternoon, but it was getting pretty late, and I was getting pretty tired.

My stomach started growling. I rubbed it, wishing that I had eaten more than one baked potato for dinner. I could picture the bowl of leftover potatoes still laying on the dining room table. Then, as if reading my mind, the cat stopped in a small clearing.

The clearing was faintly lit by the moon, and sitting smack-dab in the middle was a large plate of mashed potatoes and a typewriter.

I hate when that happens. It is usually when I have written a really long, important messge. For my stories, I usually write them in Word, then cut and paste.

I'll start working on my story in a bit.

:)Barbara

Beth had acquired the Springer, Bonnie, as a wee puppy. They fell in love instantly. She had been rescued from the animal shelter and was just days away from being put down. The bond ran strong and deep. In Bonnie's heart was unconditonal love and loyalty, two elements that had been missing for such a long time in Beth's life. She had never possessed something that loved her just for herself. One night Beth was reading a magazine......something inocuous to kill time when the oven timer went off. She normally didn't cook but had recently joined a cooking site, DC, and had gotten some wonderful recipes. The people were friendly and helpful and even talked about their wonderful cats and dogs. Sounded like her kinda place. This particular night she had decided to make a small pan of lasagna from a recipe that she had copied from DC..45 minutes later unknown to Beth a car pulled up in her driveway and turned off its lights. Perhaps the gravel deadened its approach. But Bonnie was on immediate watch and alert. Bonnie started barking immediately.......she was going to protect Beth from whatever danger lurked outside......Beth locked the back door and called 911............Then.............

sorry, I didn't see your words, Luvs, I didn't want to be influenced or intimidated by someone else's story. So mine is from the book of Barbara. See what I come up with from the book of Luv.......:)

As the summer rain pounded on the window pane, my kitty arose from her nap with a big stretch. As I sat at my typewriter pondering the next couple of words of my story, she ran through the dining room after the mouse which had scampered across the kitchen floor. As she passed the oven full tilt in pursuit of the mouse, I heard the oven timer ding. Arising from the typewriter, I listened to the clickety clack of her small nails on the hardwood floor. When I opened the door of the oven, the aroma of a perfectly baked potato wafted through the kitchen. The mouse ran into the pantry and kitty was denied once again the age old satisfaction of catching her prey.

Waking up from her nap and stretching luxuriously, Callie quietly chided herself for being such a couch potato today. The rest of the family would be home soon, and Callie had not done a thing while they had been at work and school. From the sun shining into the west-facing dining room windows, she knew she did not have much time. Seeing the neatly stacked papers next to the typewriter, Callie decided that would be as good a place as any to get started. She gave the papers a quick look-over, then with one lightning-fast swipe knocked the whole stack on the floor. She slid for a split second as she ran over the papers, into the living room. She made quick work of the living room, dumping a candy dish on the floor, scrunching a small throw rug under the coffee table, and tipping the flower pots over, spilling out not only the African Violets, but most of the soft potting mix. Suddenly Callie heard a key in the front door. Excitedly, grinding potting soil into the beige carpet as she ran toward the door, she stopped short as she heard, “Callie! What have you done?!” Callie just rubbed her head on Mama’s leg. Mama sighed, “You silly kitty, you know just how to make up and melt my heart, don’t you?!”

Mr. Potato Head was lonely.........he was the only one in the barrel without a girlfriend and had been on the market a looooooong time..........he was tired of changing disguises only for kids' pleasure..........so during a cat nap during cold storage an idea came to him.......why not send a letter and advertise for a girlfriend......he got out the old typewriter.....sorry kids.....this accessory didn't come with Mr. Potato Head........only the face changes.....and he posted a picture of himself lying across the dining room table as a young spud..... it wasn't long before a young hot potato named "Kitty" wrote him back............lucky for her he wasn't a masher.....he was sincere as most people from Idaho are.........it wasn't long before they became Mr & Mrs. Potato Head and made millions on the market........ and they sprouted happily ever after...........the end

sorry for the repetition of words in this whimsical story.....this was composed in about 10 minutes and I'm sure there is a way to see what you're going to post but I don't know how to do it....so what you see by me is NOT proofed........I look at it now and cringe at some of the repetitions but I was totally inspired and couldn't stop writing.....thanks, Barbs, for the mental challenge......

Thanks luvs and expat!

Hey Debs, no need to apologize! I loved your story! What a cute idea! I'm so glad this thread is going over well. I love all the creative ideas! Also, you mentioned earlier that you like to write without reading the others' stories first. I do that too.

Thanks, Barbs! I had fun writing it. :)....that is a great mental exercise (good for my "alzheimer's") to take five unrelated words and come up with a story.....it's obvious that you're a writer as well as others...........I look forward one day to a book signing by you :) yeah, I know, SUp! But I mean it just the same!:)

What a bunch of beautiful writers, so creative.....each painting a picture with words.
Knights--my blood was racing to the end of the story.
expat--I thought that was just so funny, you made such excellent choices in your words, it made me chuckle.
All of them --each story--is so heartfelt, or warm or funny or a combination of them, there is so much talent in you all. thank you for sharing, I'm enjoying reading each one and it would be a huge effort on my part to squeeze out that much creativity (I'm not saying I won't try at some point), it must be that each of you are natural writers.
~blissful wishing she was better at this...soon.

hey, blissful, don't be intimidated.......that's why I won't read others' stories until aftr I have written mine........it's best to go with something you're familiar with........I grew up with playing with Mr. Potato Head (if you even know what that is) and I've been a teaser all my life----I'm the class clown who never got into trouble.......know why? I wasn't a guy.........girls can read body language and know when the teacher is going to explode.....so I never climbed Mt. Vesuvius.........I knew when to back off hahahaha........come on........I know that you have a story hidden inside of you.......

hey, blissful, don't be intimidated.......that's why I won't read others' stories until aftr I have written mine........it's best to go with something you're familiar with........I grew up with playing with Mr. Potato Head (if you even know what that is) and I've been a teaser all my life----I'm the class clown who never got into trouble.......know why? I wasn't a guy.........girls can read body language and know when the teacher is going to explode.....so I never climbed Mt. Vesuvius.........I knew when to back off hahahaha........come on........I know that you have a story hidden inside of you.......
If you only knew......I had a mr. potato head, lol We lost pieces along the way. Don't you wish some of the teachers would explode along the way? lol Isn't it funny that people don't read body language, I think it is. (though i do work with only men) I'll try, I promise, give me time. I probably have a story in me, I'm just working on it. ~bliss

I am such a multi-tasker, I was relaxing outside reading a magazine while watching my puppy play on the gravel drive, when I noticed the ground over by my brick oven. A little kitty was taking a nap in the sunshine. Just then the clatter of a typewriter disturbed the silence from the open dining room window. I got up and popped my head in. "Yo, couch potato!" I yelled, "off the antique, eh?"

Back
Top Bottom