Writing Challenge--For Anyone, Not Just Writers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you only knew......I had a mr. potato head, lol We lost pieces along the way. Don't you wish some of the teachers would explode along the way? lol Isn't it funny that people don't read body language, I think it is. (though i do work with only men) I'll try, I promise, give me time. I probably have a story in me, I'm just working on it. ~bliss

oh great news, blissful....I have inspired you I hope.... write a story from your job experiences.....only be creative and use the words set forth...nonne is critical on this site.......I promise. you......have you seen how many postings there are??? they are too intimidatated..................go for it..........if you have to write it down on a piece of paper before posting,,,,,,,,,,,then so be it.........it's good for the brain..........challenge your brain.....who cares what you post.............?????

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL I had a Mr. Potato Head as a child too. My mom told me that when she was a kid they had Mr. Potato Head too, but it only came with the face pieces. They had to supply their own potato!

I love the way the stories are going! Hopefully we will get a few more in, and then maybe Monday someone would like to post a new set of words. Maybe we could do new words on Mondays and Thursdays (just a loose schedule of course--if we are ready for more earlier, that would be fine, or if tons of stories are coming in, it could be held off a bit).

:)Barbara

If you only knew......I had a mr. potato head, lol We lost pieces along the way. Don't you wish some of the teachers would explode along the way? lol Isn't it funny that people don't read body language, I think it is. (though i do work with only men) I'll try, I promise, give me time. I probably have a story in me, I'm just working on it. ~bliss

don't work on it.......just let the words flow.........write whatever pops into your head.............:LOL: I do and you see the mistakes that I make....so what ....no one cares here about grammar, diction, etc.etc. ect......just post your story.........Same with the rest of you........:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I used to tell my students to just write. You can edit later if you want to, just get your ideas down on paper. Often times the first thing you think of is the best, and if you keep second guessing yourself you will lose some really great ideas.

you are absolutely right, 1000%, B's girl..............the best stories that I ever wrote were off the cuff..............I remember getting an A plus in college on a paper.........and this prof was tough...............sorta the same thing that Barbs is having us do.......take unrelated words and come up with a story..........but this was on Greek theatre.....Sophocles' Aristophones to be be more exact.........and I remember sitting in front of the typewriter and wondering what the hello I was going to write when an idea came up............once that happened I could not stop.............that doesn't happen often.....she loved it..........I imagined myself as a writer heading to Athens and then I meet Sophocles..........he shows me around the city.........the rest just naturally followed...........I know, corny...........:) but it was fun

I looked at my watch when I heard a crunching noise on the gravel walk. My puppy was sitting next to me, and the mail carrier had already dropped off the day's accumulation of magazines. I checked the oven to make sure supper was coming along as planned, then went outside to see who was visiting us.

Chris sat comfortably on a weathered chase lounge, staring at an empty swimming pool. He heard the everpresent sound of ZZ Top playing from a distant apartment.

"Good song." He said quietly to himself.

The noon-time sun was hot in San Diego, and in the confines of the horseshoe shaped apartment complex, little air moved. Chris got up to frehsen his glass with more ice water, with a twist of lemon of course. As he reached for his aprtment door, he heard; "Hey Chris."

The voice belonged to his next door neighbor, a very pretty young lady of twenty-two years. She had an athletic, muscular build, but not overly so. All of her curves were in the right places. Many were the heads that she turned. Even so, Chris was captured by her green eyes. They seemed to project a never-ending smile, a joy of life that spoke of tropical waves and perfect beaches. They were confident eyes set in a perfect face.

Chris replied; "Hi Jill. What's up?"

"I just baked two to many potatoes and wondered if you might come over and help me eat them."

"Sure. I'd love to come over and help you eat 'em. Is that all you cooked, cause I have some left over lobster I can heat up and bring over, and, um, let me see, some fresh asparagus spears that would go pretty good with them too."

"Sounds great to me. See you in a minute then."

"Be right there."

Chris quckly gathered together a microwave steamer, and his food, along with a couple of microwave safe dishes. As he did so, he said to himself "Glad I didn't put this microwave stuff in with the other junk."

A quick moment found him knocking on Jill's door. She answered the knock; "C'mon in. I'm in the dining room. Just go in the kitchen and I'll be right there."

He replied; "Ok, I'll put the food on the counter."
As he entered the house, Jill's cat stepped in front of him. He nearly stepped on the animal but was able to half-jump, half-step over it. He muttered an epitaph or two just a little to loudly. Jill heard and called; "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I almost stepped on your cat."

"What'd he do, step right in front of you? He's such a pest. He alwasy does that to me."

"You nailed it, Jill."

"Are you Ok?"

"Yeh, I'm fine. I just know to watch out for the cat now." Chris could hear her snicker in the other room.

As he entered the kitchen, he noticed a single flower on the kitchen table/butcher block. It was elegant, and appeared to be very fresh.

"What kind of flower is that on your table?" he inquired.

"That's a bird of paradise?"; came the reply.

"I don't think I've ever seen one before."

"Really. They're pretty common."

"Well, it's a very pretty flower, for a very pretty lady."

Jill walked into the kitchen then and said, "Why thank you."

To be continued when I have more time...

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

well........it was a very hectic morning......kids.....shoes.......clothes....toys everywhere......when will this chaos end??? and the clock was ticking...........Mom was screeching by now...........kids were dawdling.......as usual........as Mary jumped over the children's junk and sighed at how she going to have to clean it up later.....as if she didn't have enough to do.......just one day she'd like for her husband to have a period, a child, and deal with the animals....in the future she will wish for him to go thru menopause but the hot flashes will come many years later........then he might appreciate her more......don't get me wrong...she loved him dearly but his job kept him busy and out of the maelstrom known as domestic bliss.........One day Mary's 4 yr old was busy careening around the kitchen.......she started to excitedly point to her nose.......inside was a small coin............how did that happen???? she watched her like a hawk................first thought......"what a terrible Mom you are" but she took a box of crayons and some paper and rushed her to the emergency room........luckily the doctor was able to remove it......he just laughed and commented on a funny little girl who had come in with a lego up her nose the week before......sighing with relief Mary had to laugh in spite of herself.........her hubby who is no dummy sent her some flowers...the end

well........it was a very hectic morning......kids.....shoes.......clothes....toys everywhere......when will this chaos end??? and the clock was ticking...........Mom was screeching by now...........kids were dawdling.......as usual........as Mary jumped over the children's junk and sighed at how she going to have to clean it up later.....as if she didn't have enough to do.......just one day she'd like for her husband to have a period, a child, and deal with the animals....in the future she will wish for him to go thru menopause but the hot flashes will come many years later........then he might appreciate her more......don't get me wrong...she loved him dearly but his job kept him busy and out of the maelstrom known as domestic bliss.........One day Mary's 4 yr old was busy careening around the kitchen.......she started to excitedly point to her nose.......inside was a small coin............how did that happen???? she watched her like a hawk................first thought......"what a terrible Mom you are" but she took a box of crayons and some paper and rushed her to the emergency room........luckily the doctor was able to remove it......he just laughed and commented on a funny little girl who had come in with a lego up her nose the week before......sighing with relief Mary had to laugh in spite of herself.........her hubby who is no dummy sent her some flowers...the end

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

thanks, B's girl....glad that you liked it....had fun writing it.......:) kinda hits home tho; :) I wished that he would have a period and a kid......hahahaha........Miranda warning......jest kidding..............

Chris sat comfortably on a weathered chase lounge, staring at an empty swimming pool. He heard the everpresent sound of ZZ Top playing from a distant apartment.

"Good song." He said quietly to himself.

The noon-time sun was hot in San Diego, and in the confines of the horseshoe shaped apartment complex, little air moved. Chris got up to frehsen his glass with more ice water, with a twist of lemon of course. As he reached for his aprtment door, he heard; "Hey Chris."

The voice belonged to his next door neighbor, a very pretty young lady of twenty-two years. She had an athletic, muscular build, but not overly so. All of her curves were in the right places. Many were the heads that she turned. Even so, Chris was captured by her green eyes. They seemed to project a never-ending smile, a joy of life that spoke of tropical waves and perfect beaches. They were confident eyes set in a perfect face.

Chris replied; "Hi Jill. What's up?"

"I just baked two to many potatoes and wondered if you might come over and help me eat them."

"Sure. I'd love to come over and help you eat 'em. Is that all you cooked, cause I have some left over lobster I can heat up and bring over, and, um, let me see, some fresh asparagus spears that would go pretty good with them too."

"Sounds great to me. See you in a minute then."

"Be right there."

Chris quckly gathered together a microwave steamer, and his food, along with a couple of microwave safe dishes. As he did so, he said to himself "Glad I didn't put this microwave stuff in with the other junk."

A quick moment found him knocking on Jill's door. She answered the knock; "C'mon in. I'm in the dining room. Just go in the kitchen and I'll be right there."

He replied; "Ok, I'll put the food on the counter."
As he entered the house, Jill's cat stepped in front of him. He nearly stepped on the animal but was able to half-jump, half-step over it. He muttered an epitaph or two just a little to loudly. Jill heard and called; "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I almost stepped on your cat."

"What'd he do, step right in front of you? He's such a pest. He alwasy does that to me."

"You nailed it, Jill."

"Are you Ok?"

"Yeh, I'm fine. I just know to watch out for the cat now." Chris could hear her snicker in the other room.

As he entered the kitchen, he noticed a single flower on the kitchen table/butcher block. It was elegant, and appeared to be very fresh.

"What kind of flower is that on your table?" he inquired.

"That's a bird of paradise?"; came the reply.

"I don't think I've ever seen one before."

"Really. They're pretty common."

"Well, it's a very pretty flower, for a very pretty lady."

Jill walked into the kitchen then and said, "Why thank you. So whatcha got there?"

"Got everything you want. That's what I got."

"Everything?"

"Everything." Chris rmeoved the various food items from the bag. As each item was set on the countertop, Jill made little appreciative comments; "Mmmm, that looks great. I love lobster, and asparagus."

"Me too. So where's the microwave?"

"Right behind you, sport. I'll get a bowl."

"No need. I brought a couple."

"Ok. Then I'll continue setting the table."

As jill turned to leave the room, Chris said; "I'll join you in just a quick minute."

"I'll be waiting."

Chris placed the food in their containers, covered them an heated them perfectly. In less than five minutes, he brought them into the dining room and placed them on the table.

As he sat down directly accross from Jill, who was already seated, he said; "Those potatoes look great."

He lifted one to his plate, and watched melted butter drip down the potato skin to his plate. The flecks of green herbs caught his eye and he asked; "So how'd you season them?"

"Just a little dill and basil, a touch of salt 'n pepper."

"Looks and smells deliscious. I hope my lobster and veggies come out as good."

"Chris, it's lobster. how can it be anything less than spectacular?"

"Obviously, you haven't seen me cook."

Jill took the statement as an opening to state her real reason for asking Chirs over. "Chris, I may not have seen you cook, but I've seen plenty of other things."

"Oh yeh, like what?"

"Like the way you treat other people, the way you take care of yourself, the way you play with the kids around here, and a bunch of other things."

"Wow. I'm flattered, I think."

"I didn't only ask you over for potatoes."

Chris became hesitant, not knowing exactly where the conversation was going. He knew he had fallen for this beautiful lady who sat amazingly close to him at the moment, and he was starting to feel a bit nervous.

"Um, so why did you invite me over then?"

"Because you're too slow."

"Because I'm too slow. I'm confused, too slow at what?"

"You haven't even asked me to go to a movie or anything."

"I didn't know I was supposed to."

Jill got a little flustered then. She demanded "So you don't want to go to a movie with me?"

Chris blurted; "Of course I want to go to a movie with you. But look at you. You're gorgeous. You could have any man in town. I'm just plain old Chris. I never thought you'd have anything to do with me."

"I've been waiting for you to ask me to do anything, go to get a hamburger, or a movie, or even jump in the pool." Jill paused for a moment and then continued; "Look, I know that it's the guy's job to ask the girl out. But you just weren't doing your job. And don't give me any garbage about you being just Chris. If you're just Chris, then I'm just Jill. And I think that you and me, Chris and Jill, could be a pretty great thing."

Chris sat stunned. He had just been told by a girl who had occupied most of his waking thoughts for months, that she was interested in him.

"Well Chris, don't jsut sit there looking dazed. Will you go out to a move with me?"

"Uh, that is, I would absolutely love to go to a movie with you. You have jsut made me the happiest guy on this planet. I know that sounds corny, but it's true. Give me a paper and some crayons, and I'll make you a poster expounding my love in poetry, in every color from the box."

"Well then, sailor, Why don't you come over here from around that table , put away the crayons, and put your chair right here next to mine."

That's the end of this story. The rest is left to yoru imagination. For me, Chris and Jill develop a loving relationship, get married, have incredibly smart and great kids, and live happily-ever-after. But then, I'm a hopelss romantic.;)

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

junk
jump
flower
coin
crayon

She used her last coin to allow her to cross the footpath on the toll bridge. Life had not been kind to her, it showed in her face and her tattered clothes. Before she left her appartment, for what she thought to be the last time, she wrote a note telling her friends how she wanted her junk divided. Whe went on to say how life had become unbearable and that she had decided to jump off the bridge.

As she crossed the bridge she saw a little girl sitting there drawing on a piece of scrap paper. She was drawing a picture of the cityscape across the river. The child looke up at the woman and said "Please wait a minute, I have a feeling that I am to draw a special picture for you." On a new piee of paper she started drawing. With each stroke of the crayon, and hange of the colors, the shape fo a beautiful flower started to take shape. The woman pulled her coat tightly around her as the cold winter wind comming upriver was biting. She did not understand how the sun seemed to shine on the little gorl clad only in a light dress.

The child finished the picture and handed to the woman. She said "This is for you and in the spring, you will see this flour and many more like it." The woman was moved, The child could not know that today was to be the last. She started at the picture, something inside her moved her. The carefully tucked the flour under her coat and vowed to be there in the spring to see the flour. She turned to thank the girl and there was nothing where she had been sitting. She looked up at the sky and understood. She hurried home to crumple the note before anyone saw it.

AC

...Huh? A typewriter? What was it doing in the middle of the forest? And who uses typewriters these days anyway?

I stepped out in the clearing to examine it more closely. I could also see a box of crayons, a can opener, an ice cream maker that appeared to be from the early 1900's, and a bunch of other junk like that.

As I was examining the artifact I heard a some rustling in the bushes. It was getting louder and closer. I jumped out of the way just in time! The black horse came crashing through the bushes whinnying excitedly, it's sleek, black mane glistening in the moonlight. The rider was nowhere to be found. The horse started walking toward me. I nervously fingered the coins in my pocket as it approached.

"Here boy," I whispered, not wanting to frighten him. I reached up to pat his nose. He nuzzled me for a moment, then bent down and began eating some wild flowers from the clearing.

...to be continued

junk
jump
flower
coin
crayon

B’sgirl hadn’t been away on her own, away from children and family, in such a long time she couldn’t remember her last ‘me time’. With great abandon, she had packed her art supplies, acrylics, pastel crayons, watercolors, paper, brushes and an easel to take with her on her trip to the forests of Michigan. She planned to meet her friend ‘the Good Witch of the North’ whom she had met on an internet forum for overworked mom’s.

Her long drive to Michigan was not nearly as stressful as she had anticipated. Traffic was light and as she drove west she realized that people were more courteous drivers, until, “BOOM”, she hit Chicago, tollways, people driving junkheaps, people talking on cell phones cutting others off, no one using signal lights, she was frustrated and $12.00 in coins poorer when all was said and done. Then, once past the population center, the driving eased up again and everyone drove like a farmer on a Sunday drive. She said to herself ‘I might as well enjoy it, the smell of farm fields, forests and open fresh water, it’s my ‘me time’’.

She arrived at her friend’s home in good spirits, the Good Witch’s house, and she was introduced to GoodWeed of the North, the Good Witch’s husband. He seemed to be a gentle sort and always had a kind word for every situation. They gave her a beautifully furnished spare room to stay in and dinner was an exquisite 5 course meal prepared by GoodWeed, a cheese tray with apple slices, asparagus soup with savory, grilled vegetables from the garden, smashed potatoes and gravy, fried chicken, and lastly balsamic vinegar reduction over berries and homemade ice cream. She felt satisfied and exhausted so she headed off to the shower and sleepy land. Once her head hit the lemon verbena scented pillow, she was out like a light. Tomorrow she had big plans to find herself again, that little something we each have, that is uniquely our own.

When she woke the next morning, she realized she hadn’t had a good night sleep in years, and this little vacation was just what she needed. She hadn’t woken up one time during the night and she felt revitalized and it was time to go. Her plan was to create some art, maybe not ‘the best art’, but something that was ‘just hers’. She jumped up and packed her supplies, not worrying about her hosts plans, they already knew why she was there and there was no need to explain.

She headed off for any location, knowing that when she found her perfect location, she’d stop and make this experience ‘her own’. She came across a location with a green lush feel and thought of her friend Barb, back home, and worried that she might need a little prayer, so she prayed for her. Then B’sgirls little bright angel expat shimmered over her shoulder and told her to walk into the woods to see what was hiding on the forest floor. So B’sgirl trudged lightly into the forest with her backpack and easel and came upon a beautiful garden planted by God, of the most beautiful array of tiny flowers. She sat and drew and painted four pieces of art that day that would help her to remember her time, her ‘me time’.

Next month she planned to have the Good Witch come to visit and hopefully Good Witch too could have some ‘me time’, whatever that means to her.

Okay remember it's fiction, and I'm sorry for not including everyone, my creativity is only marginal. ~Bliss
PS. I hope it made a few people at least smile.

That's great, Bliss. I'm flattered. :blush: How did you know I like to draw?
Um, i'm not so sure I know that. If I do, it's only something left in the back of my mind from reading your blog, or maybe a thread on Mexico Karen's paintings. If not, then it's what I like to do sometimes when I feel creative-paint and draw. :LOL: (I've been thinking lately that I should pack my supplies for painting on my vacation and try to catch an Arizona sunset.)
(I'm not sleeping am I --I don't think being up at this hour is going to work well with getting to work in the morning.)

Snapshot of a Great Night
Author - Goodweed of the North

Jenny frowned as her gravel encrusted popsicle melted in the sun. That sweet, syrupy confection, with it's promise of icy sweetness was lost to her forever. Tears began to form in her big, green eyes.

Jim was lost in a magazine when he heard the soft whimper of his three-year-old daughter. He looked up to see her sitting dejected, staring down at the melting posicle. He rose from his lawn chair and walked to his little angel. He quickly scooped her into his loving arms.

"Hey there my little giggly-wiggly-girl..." he said as he poked her playfully in the side.

She squirmed and frowned at him. But he wasn't going to let a lost popsicle ruin his Jenn'ys day. "Hey Jenny." he continued. "You want another popsicle?"

"No!" came the pouting reply.

"Well then, how about we get Buddy from his box?"

"I don't want Buddy. I want my popsicle."

Jim lowered his duaghter to the gravel, beside the now-melted popsicle. "Sorry kiddo. It's all gone now. The sun just melted it away. But you sit right there. Let's seef if we can cheer you up a little."

Jenny sat in the gravel, still pouting. Her world was that popsicle; and in her mind, it had been the most important thing in her little universe. So she sat and sulked, as only a three year old girl can do.

Suddenly she heard the comotion of a puppy running excitedly toward her. She looked up and watched her puppy running straight toward her. Like Jenny, Buddy was cute beyond words, a beagle puppy, full of energy and eagerness.

In an instant, the little beagle was upon her, licking and jumping, and everywhere at once. Jenny tried to ward off the playful dog as best as a three-year old could. But it wasn't long before his playful antics had her squeeling with glee, the molten popsicle all but forgotten. Jim grinned uncontrollably. His daughter was happy again, playing with Buddy.

"I could watch this all day." he said softly to himself.

"Jim." came the voice of his wife, Kris. "Jim, it's time to come inside. I'm taking the roast out of the oven now. So get Jenny cleaned up and put Buddy in his box. By the time you're done, I'll have supper on the table."

"Ok honey. I'll be right in."

As he once more walked toward his daughter, Jim thought to himself, "I have the two greatest women on the planet, and they're both living in my house."

All cleaned up, Jim placed Jenny into her special chair. He walked into the kitchen and said "Honey, don't worry about the dishes tonight. I got 'em." And he continued, "Here, let me get that bowl of veggies to the table for you."

"Why thank you, Jim. You're in a particulary good mood tonight."

"That's because I'm with my two favorite ladies."

"Good answer. Let's go get this meal blessed and eaten."

"Yeh, let's." As JIm walked past his wife, he stole a quick kiss.

a couple of months ago, I started a story that others were to help fill in the story lines. reading this, I'm wondering why you didn't participate. Man you're good

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom