Writing Challenge--For Anyone, Not Just Writers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What am I, chopped liver? :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: Just kidding of course!

I enjoyed your lyric poem!

:)Barbara

Chopped liver! I could never forget you. I just didn't have time to put every name in and so you became part of the "everyone" group. But where's your poem? Hmmmmm? (that hmmmmm should be accentuated as Lucy does when asking questions of Schroeder in the Charlie Brown animations).

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Chopped liver! I could never forget you. I just didn't have time to put every name in and so you became part of the "everyone" group. But where's your poem?...
Maybe not the kind of poetry you were thinking of, but here's mine:

A goofy young weasel named Ace
Was preparing a rich bouillabaisse.
"If Utopia were home," Ace said,
"I'd eat lounging in my bed,
"Instead of running in this rat race!"

LOL, I'm the one who started this thread, so this mod has participated a little bit! :LOL:

oh, come on be nice.........Lefselover......they weren't that bad.........:) ok, corny, like my stuff but still they contributed.........I'd rather read something light and funny these days anyway.......

Goofy
Weasle
Race
Utopia
Bouliabase

Walt Whitman imagining Utopia upon the weasel race of life
Commenced his view of verse made free by long phrased lines
Indeed a verbal Bouillabaisse of that both innocent and richly
Fortified the goofy leaves of grass.

oh, come on be nice.........Lefselover......they weren't that bad.........:) ok, corny, like my stuff but still they contributed.........I'd rather read something light and funny these days anyway.......
just kidding, and I am nice, I only meant I did one too, didn't you see the wink in my post.............:LOL:

Hero
sublime
indicative
extrapolate
snail

Our hero, the ever-popular Sally Drake, who usualy sold seashells on the seashore, climbed into her snail-driven chariot and rushed to the next destination shown on the map. The wind blowing her hair forward was indicative of the chariot's speed, or lack thereof. But nevertheless, she led the search for the elusive treasure.

"C'mon Fred!" she cried. For in the distance behind her, she saw the cloud of dust kicked up by her arch-rival, William Von-Porcupine. Von-Porcupine, like herself, sought the sublime treasure that awaited the quest winner; and his squirrel driven wagon was so much faster than her chariot.

"Fred, let's extrapolate a little. Now old porky up there can maintain his top speed of 150 feet per minute for about three minutes before his squirrel starts huffing and puffing. He's about a hundred feet ahead of us and we're on the last leg of the quest. But we've three miles to go. Hmmm, If I figure right, that's a little over 15000 feet. His squirrel needs to rest every three minutes, for about two minutes. So he's in fact, traveling at about 450 feet for every five minutes.

You cover the ground at three feet per minute, but never tire. At your rate of speed, in that same five minutes, we travel fifteen feet. So, we need a thousand minutes to complete the journey. He needs, let me figure this out, thirtyu-three minutes to cover the same distance. I think we're going to have to break out the seret weapon...

Ok ladies and gents; I started the story, and included all of the words. Now someone else has to pick it up and finish it. Let's make this a collaberative story. But I think to be fair, everybody who helps, must include the five words as well.:mrgreen:

Hero
sublime
indicative
extrapolate
snail

Our hero, the ever-popular Sally Drake, who usualy sold seashells on the seashore, climbed into her snail-driven chariot and rushed to the next destination shown on the map. The wind blowing her hair forward was indicative of the chariot's speed, or lack thereof. But nevertheless, she led the search for the elusive treasure.

"C'mon Fred!" she cried. For in the distance behind her, she saw the cloud of dust kicked up by her arch-rival, William Von-Porcupine. Von-Porcupine, like herself, sought the sublime treasure that awaited the quest winner; and his squirrel driven wagon was so much faster than her chariot.

"Fred, let's extrapolate a little. Now old porky up there can maintain his top speed of 150 feet per minute for about three minutes before his squirrel starts huffing and puffing. He's about a hundred feet ahead of us and we're on the last leg of the quest. But we've three miles to go. Hmmm, If I figure right, that's a little over 15000 feet. His squirrel needs to rest every three minutes, for about two minutes. So he's in fact, traveling at about 450 feet for every five minutes.

You cover the ground at three feet per minute, but never tire. At your rate of speed, in that same five minutes, we travel fifteen feet. So, we need a thousand minutes to complete the journey. He needs, let me figure this out, thirtyu-three minutes to cover the same distance. I think we're going to have to break out the seret weapon...

Ok ladies and gents; I started the story, and included all of the words. Now someone else has to pick it up and finish it. Let's make this a collaberative story. But I think to be fair, everybody who helps, must include the five words as well.:mrgreen:

are you nuts???? couldn't you have picked more difficult words???

well let's see here.......

Already amply supplied with the logistics: longitude, latitude, speed, velocity, viscosity, Sally extrapolated that to her discomfiture that she was dealing with an \
engineer from Texas A&M. Did she care about the speed of light or how fast something was going in so many minutes.......not really.....only after many dates and getting to know what a great person that Bill (William Van Porcupine)was did she gaze into his eyes as if he was her hero....she wasn't being sublime now--she really did care for him......his behavior was indicative of someone who really cared about being precise..........okay, let's say it "a Nerd" even if he moved as slowly as a snail in the romance department, Sally had come to appreciate the qualities in her engineer that were indicative of a future great hubby and father......reliable, dependable, caring, loving,...... the wedding was around the corner and she needed help planning it......

*Editors note* Its not fair to hijack the thread and change its intent midstream folks. While
is a wonderful idea this was Barbara's thread, lets stick to here original idea OK? GW...why don't you start a collaborative effort in a new thread? I can split this off for you to start if you like.

Goofy
weasel
Race
Utopia
bouillabaisse

I've never made bouillabaisse, so I have to google it, (google will weasel out almost everything including everything about your boss or next door neighbor) and google says I'm wrong in my spelling. The correct spelling is Bouillabaisse but I just don't care about spelling that much and there are enough links with the original spelling to learn about this dish. I'm always up for learning something new.

We were just talking about food in Bermuda in the office on Friday. A fellow traveler was describing the island favorite fish stew as a fish stew with some type of local rum added to it. Since I love fish stew or fish chowder I thought I should look into it.

Bouillabaisse is another type of fish stew, from WIKI online, it says the broth is served with bread rounds with a type of flavored mayonnaise with saffron and cayenne (rouille) and the fish is served separately. I'll have to make this sometime soon, using the fish I have in the freezer and race the clock against the freezer burn that is sure to follow if I don't get motivated.

The utopia of trying a new dish and having the textures and flavors resound on my taste buds as I learn something new is something that drives me and I realize a recipe as others have before me. My research usually consists of two things. Google-ing it online and tasting it at a restaurant. Going out to eat, for me, is rare, and it's a goofy hunting trip, because sometimes it's useless and the food isn't special. I'm looking for someone else's opinion and ability to provide something special to eat, a specific taste and texture so I can enjoy something new. It's a gauge to test my recipes and ability as a comparison. When a taste and a texture of a recipe, passes my enjoyability standards, I keep it, and I put it into my routine, and that is what we are going to eat that night. You are invited, stop in anytime, we'll be having something special.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hero
sublime
indicative
extrapolate
snail

(from a National Geographic special) Ah, the sublime hero snail, so indicative of nature as we extrapolate the bizarre mating rituals of other species...

*Editors note* Its not fair to hijack the thread and change its intent midstream folks. While is a wonderful idea this was Barbara's thread, lets stick to here original idea OK? GW...why don't you start a collaborative effort in a new thread? I can split this off for you to start if you like.

You see; that's why your a mod.:)

So does this mean I have to finish my own story?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Sorry, lefs....now I've seen it, yours is great, too, I'm just bone tired and I really was just ribbing you.....glad you're a great sport----
well I have to be a good sport, it's not like I can come beat you up in 'wut-evah-khstan':LOL:
oh and GWOTN, you're on your own with this list my friend, those er sum scary hard words.........

well I have to be a good sport, it's not like I can come beat you up in 'wut-evah-khstan':LOL:
oh and GWOTN, you're on your own with this list my friend, those er sum scary hard words.........
Actually I was kind of hoping, when I started this thread, that we could use just simple ordinary everyday words. Each person can then write as simple or complex a story as he or she wants to write. I had hoped that this would make everyone feel comfortable, as not all of us are professional writers.

For instance, if the words are things like "somnambulism" and "copious," that could be somewhat limiting. However, if the words are things like "notepad" and "keychain," one person could write, "She quickly tossed the notepad and keychain into her already overflowing purse," and someone else could write, "He had filled his notepad with copious notes at the somnambulism seminar. He grabbed his keychain and headed for the door." Simple words taken in two completely different directions.

Back
Top Bottom