"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Writing Challenge--For Anyone, Not Just Writers

Being stuck in bed for a couple weeks gives you time to think. One of the things it just got me to thinking about is a writing exercise we did in a writing group I belonged to. I would like to try it here. I will list 5 words. Come up with a story, joke, riddle, song, poem, whatever, that incorporates all 5 words. It can be as long or short as you want. It can be serious, funny, sad, goofy, true--anything at all. The only rules are that you have to use all 5 words, and it should make some kind of sense. It also must stay within DC's rules (language, certain subject matter, etc.) This is NOT a contest. This should be fun! Please, no negative comments about the stories (such as pointing out spelling errors, etc.). This is just about getting the ideas out there. I have not even chosen the words yet, so I have no idea yet what I will be writing, so we will all be starting together. Please don't say to yourself that you have no writing talent, and then not try. As I said, this is not about perfection. It is a game. If this goes over well, we could take turns supplying the words every 2 or 3 days.

Okay, here are the 5 words for this round (you don't have to use them in this order):

watch
gravel
puppy
magazine
oven

Edited to add--You can change the form of the word to plural, past tense, etc. So puppy could also be puppies, etc.

I hope you will join in!

Barbara
P.S. If you write an excuse about why you can't write, make sure your excuse contains all 5 of the words!

Old 07-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
Head Chef

I had just finished reading my Saveur magazine, and was getting up to check the cinnamon buns baking in the oven, when I heard the crunch of tires on the gravel in my driveway.

My front door opened, and there stood the love of my life, looking at me with those puppy-dog eyes of his.

And he said, "I'm going to take a shower. Want to watch?"

Lee

Old 07-20-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

clever barb

I was waiting for my cake in the oven to be done. The recipe came from a magazine. I heard footsteps on my gravel driveway.

It was a teenage boy with a box full of puppies. Sadly i had to say no thanks.

babe
Old 07-20-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Good work! Thanks for participating! Hopefully more will join us. Here is what I just came up with:

Sarah sat quietly in the breakfast nook, reading her latest issue of Guideposts. Now and then she would put the magazine down and look out the window at her new puppy, playing on the freshly mown lawn. Totally unaware that he was being watched, the still nameless beagle puppy was discovering his little part of the world. He sniffed every blade of grass with complete interest. He sneezed as he sniffed a puffy dandelion. Sarah couldn’t help but laugh out loud when he discovered the gravel driveway for the first time. He had been trotting confidently over the plush carpet of grass, when suddenly he stepped onto the gravel. His front end seemed to stop before his back end was quite ready to, making him quite a comical sight. He sniffed and pawed at the gravel and took a couple tentative steps. Sarah realized he must have stepped on a rough piece, as she watched him take a step, yelp, and leap back onto the soft grass. She set her magazine on the counter and reached for a potholder. As she took the cake out of the oven, she glanced once more at the puppy, knowing now what his name was. He was lying in the soft grass, licking his paw. Sarah opened the door and the puppy wiggled happily over to her. Sarah smiled as she asked, “Are you ready to come in now Tenderfoot?”
Barbara
Old 07-20-2008, 10:54 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

As I sat here reading what had been written so far. I looked down at my new puppy watching me with happy eyes. I realized I now had my hands full making the recipe for dog bones that I'd gotten from a magazine , that were baking in the oven. I also realized that I'm the pitts at this as I heard DH on the gravel outside...bye guys

kades
Old 07-20-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I dropped my magazine when the small piece of gravel hurled from the slingshot shattered my watch crystal stopping the hands at 12:10, Oh Dear how will I know when to take the puppy treats out of the oven.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

You guys are so good! These are really cute!

Barbara
Old 07-20-2008, 11:29 PM   #8
Master Chef

While I was reading a magazine, I heard the UPS truck come up the gravel driveway. The puppy heard it too and jumped up the window sill to watch the driver come to the door. After the driver left the package with me, I heard the oven timer ding and I went to the kitchen and took the bread out of the oven.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
P.S. If you write an excuse about why you can't write, make sure your excuse contains all 5 of the words!
Blissful cannot write a story for a magazine about puppies for her homework. Yesterday she tripped on a large piece of gravel in the hallway and she hurt her writing hand when she fell on the oven. I will warn her to watch herself more carefully. ~~~Blissful's mom
Old 07-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #10
Master Chef

i was staring at my watch to see if my vet said my puppy was healthy. he's a greyhound born to a rescued Mom. he was kina dusty cause he was rollingin gravel earlier, & a bath wasn't quite enough to clean his fur.
i was reading... very boring selection of magazines. national geophric was great reads, though- lotsa great photos.
finally they called me.
he was beautifully healthy.
i'd thrown meatloaf into my oven, & me & my pup shared a great meal!!