"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-03-2005, 04:33 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Writing to a King and Queen

Ok, back on my party thing...in fun, I'm giving titles to the invitees. For instance, all the kids are Sirs and Lady's, so the envelope is addressed to Lady Susie Quinn or Sir Humphrey Bogart. Aunts and Uncles are Dukes and Duchesses. Grandparents are Kings and Queens. I think I've got the one for the widowed grandfather right: His Royal Majesty, King John the Third. I'm stumped on how to address the envelope to a King and Queen. I know you guys are really smart, do do any of you know the proper way to do this? Or, even if it isn't the proper way, I can't think of how to do it where it sounds good.

Old 12-03-2005, 04:51 PM   #2
Master Chef

hmm.. her and his Royal Highness?
his and her Majesty?
or probably queen Elli and prince consort?

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 06:14 PM   #3
Executive Chef

When we in the UK have cause (I never have!) to write to the Queen - a letter would be address to HM Queen Elizabeth II. Her consort is a 'mere' Prince or Duke of Edinburgh.... so the letter would be addressed to HM Queen Elizabeth II and HRH Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. (I THINK!)

We have Kings or Queens and their consorts - they are not EQUAL.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:30 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
so the letter would be addressed to HM Queen Elizabeth II and HRH Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. (I THINK!)

We have Kings or Queens and their consorts - they are not EQUAL.
Very interesting! What does the "HRH" stand for? His Royal Highness? Does "Highness" not mean the same thing as "Majesty"? I'll bet you just laugh at our ignorance about this kind of stuff! And, I guess the one I thought I had correct - His Royal Majesty - isn't correct afterall. It should be simply His Majesty. Right?

Anyway, thank you very much, Ishbel! This is exactly what I needed!
Old 12-03-2005, 11:38 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps8
Very interesting! What does the "HRH" stand for? His Royal Highness? Does "Highness" not mean the same thing as "Majesty"? I'll bet you just laugh at our ignorance about this kind of stuff! And, I guess the one I thought I had correct - His Royal Majesty - isn't correct afterall. It should be simply His Majesty. Right?

Anyway, thank you very much, Ishbel! This is exactly what I needed!
Exactly Ps8, "HRH" stands for either "his" or "her" royal highness. Beyond that I think that Ishbel seems to be the one to ask In Canada we have ties to the British crown still, but I have never been in a situation where I had to think about addressing a member of the royal family

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 03:12 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps8
Does "Highness" not mean the same thing as "Majesty"?
no.. it doesn´t..... the Majesty is the one that reigns, but HRH can be almost everyone out of the nobility... even dukes and Lords are adressed with that.. in Germany anyway...
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:22 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Only royal dukes and earls are termed 'HRH' in the UK... ie they are the children or nephews/nieces of the monarch, Prince Edward and his wife are HRH the Duke and Duchess of Wessex.

Please don't think I'm an expert (I'm not - and am a Scots Nationalist than a royalist!) - I've met a couple of royals as part of my job or one of the societies where I'm a member, or when I was dancing at some of our Gatherings, such as Braemar when I was very young!. I met Princess Diana before she and Charles divorced. I thought she was a nice woman. I also met the Queen when I was young.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:25 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
when I was dancing at some of our Gatherings, such as Braemar when I was very young!.
Tell me about Braemar. That's the name of my neighborhood (in the U.S., real estate developers give names to their projects with corresponding thematic names to the streets).
Old 12-04-2005, 05:30 PM   #9
Executive Chef

The Braemar Gathering is probably the best known Gathering of the summer season in Scotland. The Royals grace us with their presence (!) ever year. Various members of the RF give out prizes for best highland dancer, tossing the caber entrant, best coo, best sheep (you get the idea!)

It's a very pretty place, near enough to Balmoral (royal summer residence) for them to attend without putting themselves to too much trouble!

I was a highland dancer until I was 20 or so... and danced at many of the Gatherings.

Here's a site which gives more detail about Royal Deeside (as the area where Braemar is known)
http://www.royal-deeside.org.uk/Brsurround/
Old 12-04-2005, 05:41 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, Ishbel. I believe Braemar is one of the locations mentioned in a U.S. book entitled "100 Places to See (or go to) Before You Die."

I'm pretty sure they are not talking about subdivisionland here where I live. Nice enough, especially w/o royals, but not especially scenic. Have you ever heard of the Pete Seeger song entitled "Little Houses"?

Thanks for the link. I will consult it, because I want to learn how to become best "coo." Please don't puncture my balloon by saying you meant to type best "cow."