Writing to a King and Queen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ps8

Senior Cook
Ok, back on my party thing...in fun, I'm giving titles to the invitees. For instance, all the kids are Sirs and Lady's, so the envelope is addressed to Lady Susie Quinn or Sir Humphrey Bogart. Aunts and Uncles are Dukes and Duchesses. Grandparents are Kings and Queens. I think I've got the one for the widowed grandfather right: His Royal Majesty, King John the Third. I'm stumped on how to address the envelope to a King and Queen. I know you guys are really smart, do do any of you know the proper way to do this? Or, even if it isn't the proper way, I can't think of how to do it where it sounds good.

When we in the UK have cause (I never have!) to write to the Queen - a letter would be address to HM Queen Elizabeth II. Her consort is a 'mere' Prince or Duke of Edinburgh.... so the letter would be addressed to HM Queen Elizabeth II and HRH Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. (I THINK!)

We have Kings or Queens and their consorts - they are not EQUAL.:)

Ishbel said:
so the letter would be addressed to HM Queen Elizabeth II and HRH Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. (I THINK!)

We have Kings or Queens and their consorts - they are not EQUAL.:)

Very interesting! What does the "HRH" stand for? His Royal Highness? Does "Highness" not mean the same thing as "Majesty"? I'll bet you just laugh at our ignorance about this kind of stuff! And, I guess the one I thought I had correct - His Royal Majesty - isn't correct afterall. It should be simply His Majesty. Right?

Anyway, thank you very much, Ishbel! This is exactly what I needed!

ps8 said:
Very interesting! What does the "HRH" stand for? His Royal Highness? Does "Highness" not mean the same thing as "Majesty"? I'll bet you just laugh at our ignorance about this kind of stuff! And, I guess the one I thought I had correct - His Royal Majesty - isn't correct afterall. It should be simply His Majesty. Right?

Anyway, thank you very much, Ishbel! This is exactly what I needed!
Exactly Ps8, "HRH" stands for either "his" or "her" royal highness. Beyond that I think that Ishbel seems to be the one to ask :) In Canada we have ties to the British crown still, but I have never been in a situation where I had to think about addressing a member of the royal family :LOL:

ps8 said:
Does "Highness" not mean the same thing as "Majesty"?

no.. it doesn´t..... the Majesty is the one that reigns, but HRH can be almost everyone out of the nobility... even dukes and Lords are adressed with that.. in Germany anyway...

Only royal dukes and earls are termed 'HRH' in the UK... ie they are the children or nephews/nieces of the monarch, Prince Edward and his wife are HRH the Duke and Duchess of Wessex.

Please don't think I'm an expert (I'm not - and am a Scots Nationalist than a royalist!) - I've met a couple of royals as part of my job or one of the societies where I'm a member, or when I was dancing at some of our Gatherings, such as Braemar when I was very young!. I met Princess Diana before she and Charles divorced. I thought she was a nice woman. I also met the Queen when I was young.

Ishbel said:
when I was dancing at some of our Gatherings, such as Braemar when I was very young!.

Tell me about Braemar. That's the name of my neighborhood (in the U.S., real estate developers give names to their projects with corresponding thematic names to the streets).

The Braemar Gathering is probably the best known Gathering of the summer season in Scotland. The Royals grace us with their presence (!) ever year. Various members of the RF give out prizes for best highland dancer, tossing the caber entrant, best coo, best sheep (you get the idea!)

It's a very pretty place, near enough to Balmoral (royal summer residence) for them to attend without putting themselves to too much trouble!

I was a highland dancer until I was 20 or so... and danced at many of the Gatherings.

Here's a site which gives more detail about Royal Deeside (as the area where Braemar is known)
http://www.royal-deeside.org.uk/Brsurround/

Last edited:
Thanks, Ishbel. I believe Braemar is one of the locations mentioned in a U.S. book entitled "100 Places to See (or go to) Before You Die."

I'm pretty sure they are not talking about subdivisionland here where I live. Nice enough, especially w/o royals, but not especially scenic. Have you ever heard of the Pete Seeger song entitled "Little Houses"?

Thanks for the link. I will consult it, because I want to learn how to become best "coo." Please don't puncture my balloon by saying you meant to type best "cow."

Sorry, Mudbug
'Coo' is indeed Scots Lallans for 'cow'!!

I remember a song called 'Little Boxes'. 'Little boxes, little boxes, and they're all made out of tickytacky', little boxes, little boxes and they all look just the same' Is that the song you mean? !:LOL:

How sad that your Braemar should be made up of those little boxes... Our Braemar has stunning scenery, even if the midgies do bite you to death during the summer months.:mrgreen:

Ach! Cow it is, then. (Still bet I'll be the best dang cow they ever saw).

You are correct about the song as well - 'tis indeed "Little Boxes", made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same. Doesn't matter - I'm quite happy being an iconoclast in my personal little box.

Subdivisionland can be very convenient, and lovely for raising kids, cuz everybody else has 'em and they are all within walking distance of each other. Stunning scenery will just have to wait for me a tad longer.

I'm just lucky, I think... I have always lived in older houses, even when I lived in London (OK, only 1920s, but I think that's old by some standards!) Although when I've lived abroad, I've lived in very modern houses and flats.

I suspect that the only way I'm leaving THIS house is in a wooden box :)

Ishbel,
I must have a bit of Royalty in me.

The other day a strange walked into the Aero Club, took one look at me behind the bar and said, " Good Lord! Are you a pilot?" "Yes" I said, "But we can drop the formalities." :ROFLMAO:

On my Mom's side we go back a bit in Scotland - family name of Bremner. No bad ghosts in the closet?

Not so far as I know, Brooksy.... but one of Scotland's finest footballers was Billy Bremner. The man was a magical player! He was a wee man, but FAST... Played most of his career for Leeds United, when Leeds were a top of the tree football club. Here's a bit of info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Bremner

Ishbel said:
(I'm not - and am a Scots Nationalist than a royalist!)

Yea! If I ever make it to Scotland (not very likely, unfortuantely), can I visit you?!?! I've wanted to go there ever since I can remember.

This is what I like about this discussion board! People here have a wealth of information! I just love how this discussion has turned and changed and twisted. So many interesting items to "talk" about!

AND, I'm thrilled that I get to "talk" to folks in Scotland and Germany and other places on our great earth!

WOW!

If you KNEW how many relatives and friends of relatives and friends of the friends of relatives and the friends of .... well, you get the idea have turned up on my doorstep with the immortal words 'Your sister said I should contact you the minute I arrived'.... We have a number of tours - Mark 1 The Castle and the Royal Mile; Mark2 the Georgian 'new' town; mark3 Stirling and environs..... We run them like well-oiled machines!:)

And you're right - it's really great to talk to people from all over the world - finding out how 'alike' we are - and yet how 'different', too!:mrgreen:

That's cool Ishbel, but really strange....

All her life (Born in San Jose Cal. 1918), although being christened Joan, Mum was always called Billy.

Looks like we have a "surrogate royal" in the family, well as far as old Leeds fans are concerned anyway. :LOL: Maybe a 45th cousin....

One thing I can remember being told is that no Royal is ever called Her/His Excellency. Representatives of Royals or self-titled people get that one.

Don't forget to let us know how things turn out.

"Hoots Mun!! There's a moose loose in the hoose""" :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
In the event that any Scot would ever use that expression.... it would be hoots mOn.... :)

I saw BB play a few times - a magical player. Well worth claiming as a relly:cool:

Ishbel said:
In the event that any Scot would ever use that expression.... it would be hoots mOn.... :)

I saw BB play a few times - a magical player. Well worth claiming as a relly:cool:
:LOL: Oops..:blush: Can I claim the mispronunciation on being "Strayan" or "Orstrayan":ROFLMAO:

Very much like the Irish "To be sure, to be sure..." :LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom