WSJ: Diners Are Finding $13 Burgers Hard to Swallow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like skinnier fries. Thick fries are more like slices of baked potato and they annoy me.

I don't like coated fries though

I don't do take out burgers and fries, generally. I have three In-n-Out Burgers within ten miles of me. I get one once of twice a year. I had one yesterday, animal style. I didn't order fries, but I got them.

Now, I do get a serious craving for a Whataburger, with fries and their incredible ketchup. You can order their ketchup from Amazon.com.

I like a thin patty, so I get a good char to meat ratio. So many "gourmet" burgers won't fit in my mouth. Looks good on a plate, but how do you eat it?

CD

My hero Kenji really likes In N Out too....this is a fun read for anyone interested.

The Ultimate In-N-Out Secret Menu (and Super Secret Menu!) Survival Guide | Serious Eats
I went to In-N-Out Burger years ago, when visiting my sister. I was doing Atkins at the time. I tried asking for a burger with lettuce wrap instead of a bun. The server looked at me like I was crazy. I got it when I asked for "protein style" (friends had told me the secret code). That really annoyed me, but the burger was good.

Went over to west coast of Florida yesterday to visit DD and GDs. We had lunch at Culver's. They butter the buns before grilling. I had a mushroom swiss burger and it was great. Patty was medium size, not too thick or thin, good juicy beef flavor, cooked to order. It was a hunch over to eat burger. They have crinkle cut fries, thick-cut onion rings, fried cheese curds, among other sides. Everything cooked to order. A little bit more expensive than Wendy's. It was $9 for a double patty burger meal, regular size drink and side. Couldn't finish my fries and DD ate over 1/2 the cheese curds we ordered to share among the 4 of us. I finished every bit of that burger though, even the bun, which I normally end up leaving a good bit of bun. PLUS, they make their own frozen custard and have all kinds of flavors, rotating them weekly. They are only in central to South Florida though.

Culvers are all over up north here along the river. There's even one in my little town. I've never tried one, they do sound good.

I looked at their locations to see if they were elsewhere, but didn't look that far north. Their "see all locations" didn't work on my phone. They had some interesting looking salad meals too. I have a feeling there are so many of them over on west coast of Florida because there are a lot of snowbirders in the area where DD lives.

Last edited:
DH thinks they're out of Wisconsin. People really like their concrete mixers. We get their weekly flier, I'll have to take a look. We haven't gone there since they're on the "other side" of town. Like a whole 12 miles away :LOL:

DD and GDs got concrete mixers to go, but I was so stuffed didn't even consider. They usually eat part of them on the way home then stick in the freezer for later. I did, however, get a pint of caramel cashew frozen custard to bring home since I had a cooler and freezer packs since DD made a request for some of Craig's rollatinis. Haven't tried it yet, was too full from lunch and dinner last night to even think about dessert.

Wish I had known about Culver's when I was in Missouri.. There is a branch in Springfield, MO.. I sent my daughter the information...

Ross

Culvers are all over up north here along the river. There's even one in my little town. I've never tried one, they do sound good.
Culver's was a favorite when I was traveling more. I haven't eaten at one for quite a long time. Despite the "Butter Burger" being their signature item, I was more a fan of the dinners. The Cod and Chopped Steak dinners were a couple that I liked. The deep-fried cheese curds are pretty good, too.

Went over to west coast of Florida yesterday to visit DD and GDs. We had lunch at Culver's...
"West coast" and "Florida" caught my interest, since we drive down there every November. Figured it might be a good place to stop. Then I saw that you posted this later:
DD and GDs got concrete mixers...
and I though "That's why Culver's sounds familiar! I think we stopped at one once..." I checked the online map and found out that there is a location in Independence, MO. When we were driving Goober back to OH after he had given up on living out west, we took a more northern route from San Bernardino, CA, heading first to Las Vegas, into UT to go to Bryce's Canyon, then continuing east on I-70, getting off to take the state highways every once in a while. We got the concretes and they were outstanding! :yum: If we don't catch one on the way TO FL, we can scoot over to the one in Fort Myers since we stay on FMBeach. I'm so glad you mentioned them, med.

"West coast" and "Florida" caught my interest, since we drive down there every November. Figured it might be a good place to stop. Then I saw that you posted this later:

and I though "That's why Culver's sounds familiar! I think we stopped at one once..." I checked the online map and found out that there is a location in Independence, MO. When we were driving Goober back to OH after he had given up on living out west, we took a more northern route from San Bernardino, CA, heading first to Las Vegas, into UT to go to Bryce's Canyon, then continuing east on I-70, getting off to take the state highways every once in a while. We got the concretes and they were outstanding! :yum: If we don't catch one on the way TO FL, we can scoot over to the one in Fort Myers since we stay on FMBeach. I'm so glad you mentioned them, med.

You're welcome. We went to the 1 off King's Highway, North of the bridge over Peace River, in Port Charlotte.

Yikes! I'm a block away from most everything but a big supermarket. That's 5 min drive...
Our last house in way-suburban Cleveland had that kind of convenience, but we lived in a quiet residential neighborhood. When we moved here, way out in nowhere is what we could afford based on the sale price of the larger, more-options home we sold. Much as I would have loved to live closer to civilization, I really preferred keeping the mortgage the same. We knew housing would be more expensive here, but sheesh.

I'm just hoping we make a killing on this house when we finally get our act together and get to take it back on the road to OH. The areas around where we used to live are becoming quite desirable.

Back
Top Bottom