WTH?! Choose Chrome, Get AVG (?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
usually, when a weird change suddenly happens on my pc, i just assume that i did it myself, somehow, accidentally. but this AVG browsert showed up one day, replacing the homey google scenes with a new icon that looks like a square from a patchwork quilt. i'm not absolutely sure, but i think AVG came on the scene right after one of those 'windows updates'. btw, windows, which used to politely ask if/when i wished to have my windows cleaned...i mean...updated, now brazenly interrupt my posting, or reading, or whatever, and just shuts me down to proceed with its own agenda. is this one of the features of my new windows 8...something to look forward to, you windows 7 folks. also, an internet explorer that gets 'disabled' almost immediately upon setting up your pc. but hey, it's not like you're gonna need or use your IE for anything useful anyhow....

my question is this: can i disable or uninstall this weird browser thingie, or is it something that is meant to replace google chrome? so far, it has caused havoc with my access to two important sites where i spend quite a bit of
time--browsing and shopping.

actually, i have already googled this question about AVG. but all i've found out is that other people have been frustrated in their attempts to get rid of AVG. disabling it using tools, doesn't work, apparently. AVG refuses to budge. anybody want to take this one?:wacko:

perfectly reasonable xmas eve activity for yours truly....:)

Actually, I use AVG. It was recommended to me years ago and has done a much better job of anti-virus work than Norton or Macafee ever did. I use a free version. It doesn't appear to interferer with anything else though. Still, things are getting trickier these day. If AVG suddenly appeared without me knowing about it, I would be suspect.

Not a windows 8 user, but an AVG user. AVG is solid, there is no need to pay for anti-virus with free software like this.

If you are saying that AVG has been added to chrome, you can go to customize-tools-extensions and AVG might be there and can be disabled if you don't want it. It's likely an extension.

thanks, you all! until a few days ago, i had never even heard of avg. then, all of a sudden, it just shows up out the blue and Stays. yes, i think it is an extension of google chrome, and now that i know it's legit, i'll keep it.

my problems with avg (being prevented from logging in to certain sites) actually occurred after i tried to disable it. what i did, was "disable" it with tools, only it never went away. so, i went back, "enabled" avg again, so now everything works like before. notice, i didn't say normally. that would be too much to ask, i suppose. windows 8--my new default cyber headache, 2012>>>

thanks again. i'm good now....:)

Last edited:
thanks, you all! until a few days ago, i had never even heard of avg. then, all of a sudden, it just shows up out the blue and Stays. yes, i think it is an extension of google chrome, and now that i know it's legit, i'll keep it.

my problems with avg (being prevented from logging in to certain sites) actually occurred after i tried to disable it. what i did, was "disable" it with tools, only it never went away. so, i went back, "enabled" avg again, so now everything works like before. notice, i didn't say normally. that would be too much to ask, i suppose. windows 8--my new default cyber headache, 2012>>>

thanks again. i'm good now....:)

I've heard that Microsoft is going to allow people to downgrade to Windows 7. 7 is great and stable.

I've heard that Microsoft is going to allow people to downgrade to Windows 7. 7 is great and stable.

thanks, for the tip, bakechef!:)
i have been looking at getting a refund for this, my second new pc in two weeks, then purchasing a pc with windows 7. hadn't heard the microsoft rumor. i may give them another call--or just contact office depot, they should know too--i'm sure retailers have had their own headaches trying to satisfy customers complaints about windows 8's chronically problematic functioning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom