Yan Can Cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

comissaryqueen

Senior Cook
Martin Yan will be in Charlotte NC next month for a festival called Charlotte Shout I can't wait to see him. Has anyone seen him before? He seems awful funny to me.

I have. Wait to you see him chop up the veggies! So fast that you can't see the knife move.

I have never seen him. I still haven't decided whether or not I like him. Most of my family can't stand his TV persona. I am neutral. I don't care too much for her mannerisms on his show either, but when I saw him on ICA, I found new respect for him. I thought he gave a really good thorough critique of dishes presnted. Very detailed, which I appreciated.

One good thing though, is I think he helped bring Chinese cooking, techniques and ingredients mainstream.

He's definitly on the flashy side, with a lot of talk and attempts at humor.

If you can look past all that, he can teach you a lot.

I think he is a great chef.

His voice is a problem for me to understand at times though.

I than butterfly a chicken in like 15 seconds.

I caught a glimpse of him this week on tv and did some searching around for him on the net. His yan can cook site isn't all that great but I found what looks to be some newer stuff here.

I like everything about him, and it saddens me that food network has overlooked his cooking shows/talent. I would like to see him back on the air as well as Wolfgang (if he's available) and more of Ming. With Rachael climbing the success ladder with 30 minute meals, and free lunches - to me this is not what true cooking/the art of cooking is all about. Food TV, bring back the chefs! I'm tuning into PBS.

Has yan ever been part of the Food TV/Food Network? I'm pretty sure it was PBS I saw him on this past week.

gettingbetter said:
Has yan ever been part of the Food TV/Food Network? I'm pretty sure it was PBS I saw him on this past week.

Yan has been on Emeril'S show and has been a guest judge on the Iron Chef America show.

He has not had his own show on the Network.

Martin Yan has had a couple, or more, series on PBS - and has appeared only as a guest on FoodNetwork shows. My PBS station is so flakey I never know if he is going to be on from one week to the next, even if it's in the TV guide. But then the GREAT cooking shows were on PBS - Julia Child, Galloping Gourmet, Frugal Gourmet, etc.

FoodNetwork did have some great shows a year or two ago ... but they seem to be moving away from cooking "instructional" programs (like Sarah Molton Live) and more to "junk" food programs (like $40 a Day, Top 5, etc.) Wolfgang Puck still has a program - Wolfgang Puck's Cooking Class - but it only comes on at 4:00am Eastern on Friday mornings!

I have loved Martin Yan for years! He used to have a PBS cooking show and I would actualy sit down and watch the entire show. The first cookbook I ever purchased was his Joy of Wokking. I have used it so much that it is falling apart and I have to rubberband it together! Our local PBS station hasn't carried his program for 10 some years. I sure wished I lived in N.C. right now instead of M.I.! He doesn't seem to do much with his web site anymore, guess he's too busy doing shows. His Feast book is great too! I think the show would be very entertaining, go if you can and then report back to us!

Back
Top Bottom