"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
Sous Chef

YaY :)

Hi everyone.

I'm doing well and I'm finally making friends in college, and I'm maintaining a 4.0 in all my graphics class.

Anyways I'm getting a kitten this coming Saturday, and I can't wait.

hes going to be 2 months old, and hes going to be fun.

Since hes 2 months, May I put him in a cat pen for 2 hours a day?

I know you can do this with puppies to puppy train them, so I don't see why it can't work for a 2 months old kitten? He will not be in the pen for more then 2 hours a day Monday thru Thursday.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Head Chef

I wouldn't worry about it as long as it has water and adequate space.

Not to sound TOO much like a parent, but.....

Isn't this shooting your tight food budget all to hell?
Cat food, vet bills (if you can't afford vet care you can't afford a pet), toys,
LITTER, litter box, air fresheners, more air fresheners, more litter....

You is going to starve. YOu will be well loved, but awfully hungry!

And we expect pictures.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
Everymom

You've never owned a cat before have you?

Quick lesson.

Cats are not like dogs.

1. They do not need to be housetrained. Show them the litterbox (place it far away from their food dish please) and thats about all you have to do.

2. There is no such thing as a cat pen. If you attempt to put your cat in something like a cat pen you run the risk of making your cat mental and having it destroy everything (including you) in its path when it is free. Cats will choose small spaces on their own sometimes, but don't try to force them to do ANYTHING.

3. Don't expect to train your cat. Your cat will train you.

4. Put out dry food and water and a litterbox. Let your kitty explore without you hovering over it and it will come to you. Give it freedom in your home and it will be your best friend.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
I wouldn't worry about it as long as it has water and adequate space.

Not to sound TOO much like a parent, but.....

Isn't this shooting your tight food budget all to hell?
Cat food, vet bills (if you can't afford vet care you can't afford a pet), toys,
LITTER, litter box, air fresheners, more air fresheners, more litter....

You is going to starve. YOu will be well loved, but awfully hungry!

And we expect pictures.
Actually it's all in my budget, and if I need any vet bills like de-clawing at 6 months of age I can get help from my folks, and they will help me in that area, All the other stuff you mentioned I've got, and it's well with in my budget, and the food wasn't too much. It was about $5.99 for a small bag, which I will be buying each week, along with the other kitty litter.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
Everymom

OMG. Please please don't declaw your cat. If that is your plan please don't get the kitty at all Chile. Oh dear. I really have to go now. Chile, please do some research before you get your kitty and before you make big surgical decisions for your kitty. I am going to avoid this thread now because I have very strong opinions on this subject and I know I won't be able to follow forum rules about it.

Good luck Chile and please do think twice before you make these decisions.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

You should do some research on declawing before you do that. It is even illegal in some counties. It is seem by many as an extremely cruel and inhumane thing to do.

I agree with Alix. Can't are NOT dogs and you really can not compare the two. Cats do not need training. Show them where the litter box is and show them where the food and water is and they will know what to do and when. If you try to put a cat in a pen you are likely to end up with a very unhappy and untrusting cat. It would be similar to you putting a child in a pen for 2 hours a day. The child would hate you and would not trust you and you would get no benefit from it.

Buy some books on how to take care of cats and kittens. This is not something you should jump into without having all the facts. Too many people get pets on a whim and then find out the reality of pet ownership and in the end it is the pet that suffers.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
You've never owned a cat before have you?

Quick lesson.

Cats are not like dogs.

1. They do not need to be housetrained. Show them the litterbox (place it far away from their food dish please) and thats about all you have to do.

2. There is no such thing as a cat pen. If you attempt to put your cat in something like a cat pen you run the risk of making your cat mental and having it destroy everything (including you) in its path when it is free. Cats will choose small spaces on their own sometimes, but don't try to force them to do ANYTHING.

3. Don't expect to train your cat. Your cat will train you.

4. Put out dry food and water and a litterbox. Let your kitty explore without you hovering over it and it will come to you. Give it freedom in your home and it will be your best friend.
I have never owned a cat before, but I've lived with 2 full grown cat's, and 2 babies when I lived with my X-girlfriend.

Alix, I was asking about the cat pen, but you made a good point and I will not put him/her in one. And about the food, I will be putting the food in my kitchen in a food dish, and the littler box will be going into my bathroom on tile floor, this way it will be easier to clean up. By the way Alix, my step dad's been giving me tips and hints about letting the kitten get used to you, and you don't hover around it.

but thank you for the tips guys and gals.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
Head Chef

Hey, get your parents to help you pay to get kitty neutered.
Everyone will be much happier that way.

Sounds like you will do just fine.

Ditto on the DO NOT declaw the cat. Should it get loose outside, it will have no
defense.. not even climbing to escape danger.

Don't forget.. pictures, LOL!

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
Hey, get your parents to help you pay to get kitty neutered.
Everyone will be much happier that way.

Sounds like you will do just fine.

Ditto on the DO NOT declaw the cat. Should it get loose outside, it will have no
defense.. not even climbing to escape danger.

Don't forget.. pictures, LOL!
Of coarse I'll post pictures, Grilling fool.

By the way Thanks GB and everyone else for the tip about not declawing cat's, it makes perfect sense.

Actually the spay & or the neutering is a part of the adoption fee when you take it adopt at the humian society, That's a good thing though!
Old 09-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
OMG. Please please don't declaw your cat. If that is your plan please don't get the kitty at all Chile. Oh dear. I really have to go now. Chile, please do some research before you get your kitty and before you make big surgical decisions for your kitty. I am going to avoid this thread now because I have very strong opinions on this subject and I know I won't be able to follow forum rules about it.

Good luck Chile and please do think twice before you make these decisions.
I second that, declawing is cruel and inhumane. I have 2 rescue cats that were declawed before I rescued them and if you could see how their poor little toes were mangled due to declawing you would cry. Google it and you will change your mind. I'm gone!