Yikes..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So... A couple days ago, I came home from work to eat lunch. I fixed myself a sandwhich, and went back to work. Around 6:30pm, I came home and started fixin supper. Well, DH thought he was going to starve to death, So I told him to just fix a PB&J while i cooked supper.......but.. we couldn't find the brand new loaf of bread that I had opened at lunch.....Finally, I said, "How can a whole loaf of bread just dissapear!?"... DH said, "Well, there was an empty bread package on the living room floor when I got home from work today......."

My American Bulldog at an entire loaf of bread......

So... I let the dogs outside this morning, and let Sammy (Poodle) back in, but noticed Max wasn't done yet.. So about 15 min. later, I went to check on him, and he was practicly mowing our grass... just chowin down like he was starving. I'm guessing he's a little... "plugged up"... from all the bread?

He finally came up to the door to come in, and is now laying on his side next to me. His tummy is just rumbeling.... :ermm:

Poor baby! My friends have a black lab who once ate a whole frozen chicken. Renee took it out of the freezer and got interrupted before getting it to the fridge. When she came back to the kitchen 20 mins later the remnants of the package were there but the chicken was gone! Hope your guy gets to feeling better soon!

Ummm, keep a close eye on him. When he finally 'unplugs' he is gonna go in a hurry. It would not surprise me if it does not come up the other way. Was it white bread?

If it were my dog, I would call the vet to see if there's anything I should do or watch out for. If it's been two days and he's still blocked, it might be getting serious.

Agree with GG... I have been looking on the web about dogs and eating bread, have not found anything serious just yet, but I think a call to the vet would be good.

A vet call wouldn't hurt, but don't think it's anything to worry about. It's just fiber. That, I would worry about, -as in timing. When he needs to, he definitely will need to.
Remember, when you or your kids were little, you fed the ducks and deer bread, and they always came back for more.

Well, you have to remember that dogs are carnivores, not omnivores, like people. They don't need a lot of fiber to have healthy bowels. And bread can expand in the intestines and cause a blockage that would require surgery. Since it's been two days, I would contact the vet today.

Well, you have to remember that dogs are carnivores, not omnivores, like people. They don't need a lot of fiber to have healthy bowels. And bread can expand in the intestines and cause a blockage that would require surgery. Since it's been two days, I would contact the vet today.

Then why lamb & rice, or beef with veggies, etc.? Why do they eat grass when their bellies hurt? My dog loves apples and carrots and peas and green beans.

I didn't mean to imply that we should never give them anything but meat, dogs will eat just about anything they can get their jaws on (allowing for individual likes and dislikes). However, they are naturally carnivores and haven't evolved to eat a loaf of wheat bread. Dog food is manufactured and marketed to people, not dogs.

Why do they eat grass when their bellies hurt? How do you know their bellies hurt? Maybe they just like the taste. My dog eats grass regularly, but it's a small part of her overall diet.

A vet call wouldn't hurt, but don't think it's anything to worry about. It's just fiber. That, I would worry about, -as in timing. When he needs to, he definitely will need to.
Remember, when you or your kids were little, you fed the ducks and deer bread, and they always came back for more.

"A vet call wouldn't hurt,.................................."

one time , i put hot out of the oven cornbread on the table to cool. left the room and when i came back the beagle had eaten the entire things. didn't seem to bother him at all lol

babe:LOL:

Hey everyone,

I called DH and he said he'd "Done his business" in the yard last night, and it was his normal size.. So I think he's gunna be alright. I went ahead and called our vet, and he said it sounds like he's doing good, considering the amount of bread he ate!

.... We havn't gotten used to having a dog as big as him. His head easily comes to the highth of the kitchen counters and dining room table. But hopefully this won't happen again.....:rolleyes:

Hey everyone,

I called DH and he said he'd "Done his business" in the yard last night, and it was his normal size.. So I think he's gunna be alright. I went ahead and called our vet, and he said it sounds like he's doing good, considering the amount of bread he ate!

.... We havn't gotten used to having a dog as big as him. His head easily comes to the highth of the kitchen counters and dining room table. But hopefully this won't happen again.....:rolleyes:

Cool - glad it all came out okay :ermm: :LOL:

Had to say it before BT ;)

I had three Lhasa Apso puppies who got up on the table and ate all the filling out of a pumpkin pie. I think one got the lion's share. I'm sure you can imagine how that came out (pun intended, lol)! I didn't get them out on time, but fortunately the only thing it got on was an old checker board, which I obviously threw away!

:)Barbara

Back
Top Bottom