YIKES, tropical storm ALERT, U.S., east

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quicksilver

Washing Up
Local news is saying Tropical Storm Bertha has formed
in the Atlantic.
No worries before next Tuesday, when they'll know more. So why do they have to tell me so early, and make me a wreck so soon?
But, they said, in recorded history, it has never been this far east in the Atlantic (or west, depending how you look at it), this early.
I'll just keep reminding myself of someone's (?) quote:
Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles
It empties today of its strength.

Yeah, it is off the coast of AFRICA right now. Not expected to become a hurricane at all, right now.
No worries Bertha Aint Big yet!

I don't think that we need to worry QS, looks like it is going north of us if it does make landfall.
Cin

I think they make a deal out of the littlest things because news is slow. This morning our news even covered the tropical depression. They did say, however, it won't turn into much because of the water temps. Basically, no worries.

Living in a hurricane prone area (VA coast), we hear a lot about hurricane season. I've learned to not sweat it until it hits a category 2 or greater. Then I'll start tracking it and make sure my stuff is together. We lived through Isabel a couple of years ago and that was a cat.2.

If it continues to follow the track it is on, it is headed for Bermuda, but will not come near the U.S., except maybe as a storm in the northeast states.

:huh:Barbara

I have talked with friends and family back home(Bermuda) and it is the typical drill...could be hit or miss. Hoping it goes to the south.

I just heard on 12 noon news, it's going to pound down on Bermuda.
Oh God, I hate those words. I pray not.
The waters have to be warm for it to escalate. I hope it's SNOWING!!!!!

I just heard on 12 noon news, it's going to pound down on Bermuda.
Oh God, I hate those words. I pray not.
The waters have to be warm for it to escalate. I hope it's SNOWING!!!!!
Okay, I blame both my lack of geography and my local news. Their map didn't have Bermuda on it and he only talked about the contiguous US states. You're absolutely right that it's heading straight for Bermuda, but it can still miss it if it continues to hook the way it is.

Living in a hurricane prone area (VA coast), we hear a lot about hurricane season. I've learned to not sweat it until it hits a category 2 or greater. Then I'll start tracking it and make sure my stuff is together. We lived through Isabel a couple of years ago and that was a cat.2.

Isabel was a Cat. 2 when she came ashore in N.C., but by the time she got to VA, she had weakened to a Cat. 1. We lived through Isabel, too, but DH used to teach Earth science and a neighbor of ours is a geology professor and both said if we're in the path of a hurricane again, even a Cat. 1, we're outa here.

I couldn't believe how many trees were knocked down by Isabel. That sort of thing is where the real danger is, I think. A lot of the newer homes in Chesapeake and Va. Beach were damaged or destroyed when trees fell on them, and if people were home, they often didn't fare well.

Back
Top Bottom