"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-26-2006, 12:47 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I use some little pink pellets for the mickeys. They can't resist them - they nibble them and it dries them up from the inside out.
Alternatively a large cat. My dog is completely useless, even though he can sniff them out. He identified a huge rat about 6 months ago, then fell over his paws trying to catch the blighter.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #12
Sous Chef

When we were living in the residence here on the Island we'd get influxes of mice twice a year - in the spring when the farmers started plowing their fields and then in the fall when the temps drop and they start harvesting the corn and stuff.

We tried the humane traps (don't do it!) you have to dump the little critter and whatever he has done in the little trap while waiting for you. Not pleasant. We had the little things you plug in - they work for a while, then the mice get used to them. Peanut butter on the traps works great - have to put the traps where the mice visit. The glue traps are horrible - you can hear the mice screaming and they can get loose!

A friend of mine found one something called a TinCat - it catches multiple mice supposedly without bait she says it really works great.

Of course if I could have just litter box train the little critters and get them to just eat the "purina mouse chow" I'd have preferred them to ants.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:49 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We get a few every winter... living in the woods it's just something we have to deal with. Lily Lily Queen of cats helps but she's getting old (13 or 14 now) so we do the traps with peanutbutter covered cheese and decon boxes. It takes a few tries but they get the hint and leave us alone.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:54 PM   #14
Master Chef

They are nervy little varmints, aren't they, Kadesma? I was fixing breakfast one morning in my furry blue slippers and robe (remember those?), and when I opened the cabinet under the sink, a mouse ran right up my bathrobe. I'm not afraid of them, but I sure did some dancing and squealing that time!
We've never had a mouse in this house, and we live in the woods. But we've always had a cat, and the house is very tight.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:45 PM   #15
Everymom

What cliveb said. Buy some Bromone or Warfarin, whatever the brand name is that you have there. It will be in chunks and you can just place bits wherever you see a hole. Now, having said that, an exterminator will have special trap thingys that your cats or dogs can't get into. That might be more appropriate for you. They will likely use the same bait though.

Good luck Lefse, rodents are nasty to get rid of.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:18 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Oh Constance, that cracked me up - I'll never forget the morning DH pulled on his sweat pants and when he sat down at the computer he jumped out of the chair, yelling, grabbing his , and trying to get the sweat pants off, in a big hurry!!! One leg of the pants came off and out scurried a poor little mouse . I don't know who was more scared.

Seems sometime in the night, cold winter night, the little mouse crawled up into the crotch of the sweat pants.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:27 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover
ANYONE ELSE HAVE MICE OR RATS OR HOUSE MOUSE'S'?

If so, how do you rid your home of them? Any suggestions would be appreciated. We've done the traps with peanut butter, not even be approached by the critters. Heard them this morning in the attic above our BR and it woke me up. I see signs that they're here, droppings etc.

Online, people advertise that they can help if you just buy their book. Supposedly they'll tell you everything your exterminator won't but does do when you hire him. Exterminators are mucho expensive. Should I buy a cat and keep it in the attic? (kidding) Should we put poison up there in the attic? One thing I have read. They won't leave on their own.

HELP!
It is fall and getting cold. They are wanting to come live w/you. How well I can relate to your problem. When my ex was living here, he claimed I was imagining the noise at night. He said he never heard anything only when I knocked on the ceiling that woke him up. I feared they would start eating on the electric wiring and house would catch fire.

Anyway, he is out of here and I resolve my problems when I have them. I have bait boxes that hold poison blocks that are gone every month. I have a job keeping them out of here. The exterminator told me to get rid of the birdfeeder as that was something they were attracted to. Since I love the birds I have to kill the mice. Fun! Anyway when I go to bed I do not hear them. So far the poison is doing the job. The exterminator also told me cats do not necessarily keep the mice at bay. When you have a cat you provide them w/food and they aren't to be counted on for help. I had plans to get a cat but after he told me that I'll st ick w/the dogs. They are expensive enough with diabetes injections daily.

Good luck. Seems always different problem to figure out.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:23 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Oh, LEFSElover darlin'. I wish we had your problem. We have a racoon living in between the floors of our house. We can't find where he's gotten in and are stumped as to how to get him out. Exterminators in our area are not interested in helping. He's making our inside kitties crazy. And, talk about things "going BUMP in the night," he's punctual. He gets ready for work every morning about 6.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:58 PM   #19
Head Chef

Hmm. We never had mice in the house till we had cats. Our girls are good hunters, but sometimes let the things go and they get into gaps and our huge cupboards and into the bowels of the house.

Having lived in old houses I am almost used to mice, (Cadbury's fruit and nut chocolate is THE best lure I have found!) which we get in a humane trap and put out!

Rats are a very different matter, imho, I would get professionals to deal with them, fast.

Now, if someone could tell me ho to deal with the lone slug who appears in our hallway every single night, leaving a horrid trail.....
Old 10-26-2006, 04:01 PM   #20
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
Now, if someone could tell me ho to deal with the lone slug who appears in our hallway every single night, leaving a horrid trail.....
Put a little beer in a glass and the slug will climb into the glass to get it and then drown in the beer. What a way to go! Works like a charm.