YIKES! we have critters living in our house!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL, never tried that inside! But I will.....I'll go set it up right now. Thanks Alix!

Lefse, my aunt swears by putting a little piece of nut on top of the peanut butter on the trap. She says that the critters somehow can get the peanut butter off without tripping the trap but they have to exert a little extra force to get the nut--just enough to set the trap.

Katie, if I had your problem, I think I'd be moving out!:LOL:

A couple years ago, when DH and I lived in the woods, I went down to the basement and discovered a four and a half foot long black snake in the basement!:ohmy: :wacko: . Of course DH was out of town. I ran upstairs, stood on a chair (don't ask why--some goofy natural reaction!:ROFLMAO: ) and called a neighbor to get it out for me. I slept better knowing it was out of the house, but soon enough, the mice were back. Guess we'd been feeding that snake well!:rolleyes:

I have never had trouble with stinky dead mice, and I use D-con or something similar all the time.

Those mousies had a little bowling alley set up in the ceiling over my bed, I swear.

Katie, if I had your problem, I think I'd be moving out!:LOL:
Haven't even considered that. We love this old place. And I do mean old. It is a three-story Queen Anne victorian house built in 1880. It has plenty of warts and there probably isn't a right angle in the place but we love it, warts and all.

The racoon is our newest uninvited housemate. We also have a ghost who lives in an area of the first floor. Buck and I have both seen him, our dogs have seen him and so has one of our sons. We think is it the ghost of one of the first owners of the house. He died in the living room and that's one of the primary areas where he's seen.

As long as he leaves our antique GWTW lamp and antique china alone, we'll all get along just fine.

Katie, last year we had squirrles that would get under our doublewide and they chewed the phone lines apart a few times. Get one of thos e"Hav-A-Hart" traps put in a little bowl with peanut butter mixed with honey or syrup and unshelled peanuts in it. Place that in the back of the trap so that they have to work to get it. We caught 7 squirrels (here is one of them;
img_346147_0_251a546c9bd029464ea41253439f721a.jpg
) that way under our place and one huge kangaroo rat. My hubby turned them loose at least 10 miles away from our place as we had experience with the same ones coming back many years ago in Flagstaff. This past year the squirrels did not come back but there is one mouse that I swear looks at me and thumbs it's nose at me!!! It did it last night as I was on the phone!!

We had mice and it was HORRIBLE. A couple of years back we saw one(FREAKED ME OUT!!). It happened that at the time we saw them, DH was going out of town for the weekend, so it left me at home alone. I'm a big chicken, so was freaked out all weekend. I almost went to a hotel, but just ended up staying out of the kitchen. What worked for us then was to have an exterminator come out. He put some of the pellet stuff in several hidden place. We also covered any possible hole that we could think of. That seemed to work, they didn't come back for a couple years.

BUT this year, we saw a bunch of droppings again. Our rationale, it's getting cold in Oregon, they're coming and using my place as a hotel. :mad: Bought a black and decker noise thing to plug in the wall. Man, that was useless. Didn't work at all, next day, still droppings. Stuff we bought at local stores didn't seem to work. We found a spot in my cabinets that was a potential entry and just covered it up. I'm going to try to find that brand of pellet online, those worked really well. Not sure if the stuff the exterminator has is stronger or what. If you buy any sort of pellets, be VERY CAREFUL if you have pets or small children.

Although all of the basic counter-measures have already been mentioned by others, I would like to add a couple of comments of my own that you may want to keep in mind.

1. Poison should be avoided not only because of the inconvenience of having mice die and decay in inaccesible places but also because of the serious danger to other animals in your house or in the neighbourhood. Mice that have taken the poison bait takes awhile to die during which time they move around in a drunken-like state that makes them easy prey to cats. Needless to say, that a cat which eats a poisoned mouse will also die. We lost many a cat this way and the experience has been traumatic as a poisoned cat will linger for days before eventually succumbing to the poison. I am also aware of donkeys and goats dying from mouse poison when a poisoned cat vomitted on their hay.

2. From my experience, the best bait for a mousetrap that I know is a piece of dry hard bread (probably a crust) dipped in olive oil. The smell of olive oil drives mice crazy and the hard bread makes it easy for the mouse to set the trap off without disintegrating as the mouse pulls it.

I didn't even know there was a mouse in the house a couple years ago until one of my cats (I have two females) appeared from behind a chair in the living room with one in her mouth. I didn't know what to do! Before I could decide...the other cat came up to her to see what was going on, the one with the mouse opened her mouth to meow, and the mouse ran away back under the chair! The two of them stayed perched for hours, and the mouse wouldn't come out again for them to catch it. I called my boyfriend over, and he got the darn thing.

What would be the best thing to do if you saw your cat with a live mouse in its mouth? I couldn't think fast enough because I wasn't expecting it.

PA Baker said:
A couple years ago, when DH and I lived in the woods, I went down to the basement and discovered a four and a half foot long black snake in the basement!:ohmy: :wacko: . Of course DH was out of town. I ran upstairs, stood on a chair (don't ask why--some goofy natural reaction!:ROFLMAO: ) and called a neighbor to get it out for me. I slept better knowing it was out of the house, but soon enough, the mice were back. Guess we'd been feeding that snake well!:rolleyes:

We had a black snake living under the coal house for years. We became so accustomed to each other, that the snake didn't even move if we walked by while he(?) was sunning on the cistern cover. The last I saw, he had to be nearly 8 feet long, but it has been 5 years or so, and I assume he's dead. The cats have had much more productive hunting since he's gone. We're not so tolerant with the copperheads . . .

We have had mice, rats, squirrels, and racoons in various houses over the years.

They each require a different approach, so you really need to know who you are dealing with.

As Beth (I think it was Beth) said you can go up in the attic and look for scat. Mice poop is very small, rat scat is somewhat larger. You may not find find racoon or squirrel poop because they often leave during the day.

If you can figure out what type of critter it is, go to the local farmers' coop, or a hardware store (even Lowe's or Home Depot) and ask. They can often tell you what to use, and have found the web a great source of info on this.

If you cannot figure out what kind of beast you have, would call an exterminator. At least they can usually tell you what you are dealing with and probably cure the problem. But they sure are pricey. But you can learn something from them so if it becomes a recurring problem you will know how to proceed on your own.

If it is squirrels or racoons they need a port of entry that can usually be found and plugged (our racoons came in through a vent in the attic that they pried open and then proceeded to have kits, yeesh). Or you are just going to find some new 'friends' taking up residence.

Rats and particularly mice can squeeze into almost any opening, and in older houses there are usually many. But they are usually fairly easy to kill.

And so you may have to become vigilant and periodically leave out lethal presents for them.

As you can tell by the responses you are certainly not alone. It can be a very frustrating problem, best of luck.

Our hunting cat keeps the rats and mice down around our house. He will actually find the nests, outdoors or in, and kill the babies. (Not nice to think about, I know.)

We've always had good luck with tiger-striped males--the generic alley cat. They get neutered if they come to live with us, but they retain their hunting instincts. Fluffy Persian types or other special breeds don't seem to be as successful.

Once we had a tiger tomcat who could actually catch flies with his paws! Ate them, too, sometimes.

And when we were kids, my parents had a little terrier dog, bred as a rat catcher, who did great service if there was an "invasion."

If you have a crawl space under the house, or air vents in your attic, make sure they are covered with heavy screening to keep the varmits out. And if you are truly desperate, the exterminators can help.

TexanFrench, my Siamese are born killers. Their mother also was a hunter, but her fvourite prey was rabbits.

Apart from the few the cats drop live in the house, we get loads of things. In spring when the birds are nesting we put collars with bells on them, and our rooster also takes a turn patroling our big hedge full of nests, but we get literally dozens of rodents a day.

Persians may well be too laid back to hunt, but the Orientals are gret hunters.

The electronic things you plug into an outlets seem to work good but only for so long... we had some mice and we got some of those and it worked for a while but now we have them back! We got more of them and I Havent seen any in a few days... also they make traps that take batteris and electrocute them... we caught alot with those.... they are around 20 dollars a piece.. but worth it!

Constance said:
I hope I'm not breaking any rules by saying this, but...
My daughter worked for Terminex for 10 years. The company flagrantly discrimates against women. She was not allowed to train for or apply for certain higher paying positions because they were "men's jobs". They prefer to hire new help rather than letting their female employees advance, and she was finally harrassed into quitting. And I do mean harrassed...she came home night after night in tears. She's a very intelligent and responsible young woman, and she deserved better treatment from her employers.
There was plenty of ammunition for a law suit, but she got another job, actually a much better job, very quickly, and didn't stir trouble.
I tell you this because you may want to take it into consideration when you choose an exterminator. Personally, I wouldn't give such an unethical outfit any of my bussiness.

Interesting! I'm so sorry for your daughters experience though. Aren't Terminex businesses independently owned and operated? People just open a franchise and run it themselves? I may be wrong but thats what I thought.

I've sent my husband all these answers............he can pull up this and hopefully, it'll help

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/yikes-we-have-critters-living-in-our-house-28362.html

thanks to all who participated in my dilemma.
we have tried the plug ins, they're still there and we still have the problem.
doesn't seem to bother them at all.
we got the sticky things, put them on the floor in the pantry by the wall.
there was rat/mouse droppings all around but none dead.
we've got the blue poison things that hubby threw up in the rafters and now,I'm scared if something dies, the smell will kill us and we won't be able to locate the dead buggers.
we have done the peanut butter to no avail. I will make sure my DH tries the nut thing or the really hard dried bread with the olive oil.
I want someone to tell me what the pink/red pellets are called so I can look them up.
there are people online that charge for their 'verbal' help, in other words they tell you what to do. they're gonna tell us to clear out the wood pile on the side of the house and make sure that our garage is cleaned out of anything including clutter which isn't happening anytime soon.
their droppings are dangerous to have in the house and I am sick of finding droppings on my cutting board every morning. for some reason the droppings now appear to be green, sort of this color.
I have also heard that cats are good, but NOT if you feed them cat food cause then they're not hungry :huh: . we did used to have two female cats and at that time, no mice/rats. how can I tell the difference in their droppings to see if I have mice or rats?

__<< that's about how big the droppings are, a tiny bit fatter though.

I'm losing my mind here over this...................................:ohmy:

Last edited:
We caught the one mouse that had been thumbing it's nose at me (literally!) with a regular trap baited with boloney. The peanut butter or cheese was not doing the trick. I hope that your problem gets solved soon, LEFSEover.

Lefse, look for Bromone or Warfarin. And you don't need to worry that they will stink after they die, it dries them up and they just turn into dust. No smell at all.

Having said that, be CAREFUL cleaning up the droppings. Spray a bleach solution on them first, then wipe up and wash your hands very thoroughly afterwards. The droppings you describe sound like deer mouse droppings and they could be Hantavirus carriers. If you spot a mousie, check its ears, big ears are the ones to be concerned about, nonexistant or teeny ears are not as big a worry.

Back
Top Bottom