"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #51
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
No, it is not. I am a high school English teacher and my students call me the Grammar Police. I was reading the comments in this thread and one of them was about all the grammar knowledge being shared. I was just adding to that. Obviously, my terseness led to misunderstanding, and for that I appologize.
Thanks for the clarification, Robo. I, too, misunderstood and thought you were referring to another poster.

I don't know about you, but I have been very careful not to set myself up as the Grand Duchess of Everything That is Grammar. Of course, I have always taught adults, and if they even get a whiff of such pretension, they'll spend the majority of time looking for **chinks in the armor.

So I'd always tell them that I can answer the vast majority of their questions involving grammar or punctuation with certainty but that if one of them caught me off guard, I would try my hardest to find out the right one and bring it to them, with humility. That seemed to work best for me.

**We could do a whole thread on idioms and confused word pairs and how often they are either not known or misunderstood. I actually had to teach a whole session on this topic so that my future court reporters would not transcribe something like "for all intensive purposes" instead of "for all intents and purposes" or the infamous "bird in the poof" for "burden of proof" that ended up in a finished court transcript.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:30 PM   #52
DC Grandma

I would like to see an end to this thread. Someone is going to have hurt feeling if this continues.

I make more mistakes on here than anyone and I sure hope I don't get picked on. This site helps me keep my sanity..if you are new here and don't understand that...then take the time to read my past posts.
Marge~Dove

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:35 PM   #53
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove
I would like to see an end to this thread. Someone is going to have hurt feeling if this continues.

I make more mistakes on here than anyone and I sure hope I don't get picked on. This site helps me keep my sanity..if you are new here and don't understand that...then take the time to read my past posts.
Marge~Dove
Did I miss something? Has anyone been abusive on this thread? The one post that appeared to be was actually not at all, and that was clarified by the poster himself.

Please, please, let's not close a discussion unless it's absolutely necessary because of a violation of site rules.

After all, there is ALWAYS the POSSIBILITY of hurt feelings. If they occur, then let's deal with it.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #54
DC Grandma

Then go for it..just keep on letting me make mistakes.. :-)

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:08 PM   #55
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove
Then go for it..just keep on letting me make mistakes.. :-)
All I know is whether Grandma Dove says, "I am taking you behind the woodshed" or "I is taking you behind the woodshed," I'd better get behind the woodshed!

Barbara
Old 01-10-2007, 09:48 PM   #56
Master Chef

English was one of my majors in college, and my mother was a school teacher, so it shouldn't be surprising that I have alway been very picky about speaking correctly.
Thing being, I have also worked with the public most of my life. There are certain phrases and expressions that fall into the category that is given "poetic license".

The phrase, more accuratly quoted as, "You ain't the boss'a ME," I believe, falls into that catagory. To correct the English would take away from the raw meaning of the phrase.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:15 PM   #57
Head Chef

"You are not the boss of me" is typically used by preschoolers.
When and why have you heard a 3-4-5 year old say this?

example: Mom is checking out groceries and a stranger standing behind your cart tells your child to sit down (meaning to stay seated in the cart seat) or tells your child not to touch stuff on the shelves in the checkout isle.

This child knows who is responsible for them (child) and who makes the rules for them.

What could they say instead: butt out!
Old 01-10-2007, 10:52 PM   #58
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3
... "for all intensive purposes" instead of "for all intents and purposes" or the infamous "bird in the poof" for "burden of proof" that ended up in a finished court transcript.

My favorite came from an interoffice memo that included a list of issues that had caused problems. The last item on the list was, "add in for item" in place of ad infinitum.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:24 AM   #59
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
No, it is not. I am a high school English teacher and my students call me the Grammar Police. I was reading the comments in this thread and one of them was about all the grammar knowledge being shared. I was just adding to that. Obviously, my terseness led to misunderstanding, and for that I appologize.
GB, Robo, Suzy -- thanks for clarifying. Robo, as you know from my PM, I knew there was a possibility I'd got it wrong. Sorry!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:27 AM   #60
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Since this has become a general discussion of grammar, I feel I need to share with all you grammar lovers a passage from one of my favorite books, The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe by Douglas Adams. I hope you find this as entertaining as I do....OK back to discussing grammar
As long as the whole book doesn't go on like that!! (Reminds me of trying to read "Watership Down" where one has to learn bunny language to proceed. I think I read the first 10 or so pages several times, then left it for good. I guess I just don't do bunny ...)