You know you're old when ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vanilla Bean said:
LOL @ green stamps... I was just a kid, but my mom went through that phase.

I was pretty young too, but I remember my mom getting lamps, silverware, and dishes with green stamps. I also remember her getting dishes in the laundry detergent box, and from the gas station. We had a pretty eclectic set of dishes.

I was pretty young too, but I remember my mom getting lamps, silverware, and dishes with green stamps. I also remember her getting dishes in the laundry detergent box, and from the gas station. We had a pretty eclectic set of dishes.
I can't remember what my mom got. I'll have to ask her next time we talk.

You know you're getting old when those around you post that "I remember when my mom did (such and such)."

But I remember when I did the same such and such!

I remember when:
Milk was delivered and put in the little metal box at the front door.
Fizzies were first made.
Cigarettes cost the same as the price of school lunch and went up in price accordingly.
Fishnet Stockings
Mini Skirts
Slurpees were first available at 7-11
Before: ADD and ADHD diagnosis, when children were disciplined to behave instead of drugged.

getting up to change the channel in the TV and putting foil on the rabbit ears to get better reception.

And don't forget using a wire clothes hanger too! ;)

Dad had 4 kids to move around the room to get the best reception, holding foil, wire hangers. He did it to get a laugh...he has regretted that abuse of parenting:ROFLMAO:

His kids are very good about playing pranks on him, now. :yum:

Stockings before Pantyhose
Black and White TV
Coffee Percolators - I know they still make them, but who uses them these days???
Cigarette Commercials
Vinal Records 33 1/3, LP(BIG CD's) and 45's
Record Players, Portable 45 players
Transistor Radios
8 Track Players

Last edited:
Post girdle garter belts. My junior high experience sitting in class and feeling the pre-pantyhose slowly rolling down my legs becoming really baggy ankle socks. And being called to work a math problem on the blackboard.

Last edited:

I had a complete set of the wheat pattern of dishes including all the serving pieces. I got them from the detergent. I also got a complete set of smokey glasses. It was all a services for eight. Even though there were only six of us, I was ready for company. They sat in the china closet looking so pretty. After I had those completed, I started on a set for everyday use from the supermarket. That was only a service for six. And I didn't get all of the serving pieces. They were white with a fluted edge and trimmed in gold.

Now I see those dishes at flea markets and in second-hand stores.:chef:

Back
Top Bottom