You know you're old when ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I've seen a million of these, but couldn't resist the fact that I ran into two of them just now when writing to a friend.

If you wish, give your age when you write.

I know I'm old when I call my flannel-lined, LL Bean jeans "dungarees". A flashback to a childhood pair I had. I haven't heard the term dungarees in years.

I mentioned buying something at a dollar store and can remember when similar stores were called "five-and-dimes".

Oh, by the way, I'm in my mid fifties.

I've seen a million of these, but couldn't resist the fact that I ran into two of them just now when writing to a friend.

If you wish, give your age when you write.

I know I'm old when I call my flannel-lined, LL Bean jeans "dungarees". A flashback to a childhood pair I had. I haven't heard the term dungarees in years.

I mentioned buying something at a dollar store and can remember when similar stores were called "five-and-dimes".

Oh, by the way, I'm in my mid fifties.

Isn't it the truth? The soda fountain has all but disappeared now. Freshly made pie is the thing I miss the most about them. I'm 59.

I remember...
Men wearing garters to hold up their socks.
Milk delivered to your home by a milkman
Two mail deliveries a day
Phonographs & 78 RPM records that shattered if dropped
The Edsel
Black and white TV
Ringer washers
Egg Beaters (the utensil, not the egg white product)
Metal lunch boxes with your favorite TV star's picture outside and a thermos inside.

I still use my metal lunchbox, Andy. :)

I remember when:

• fresh grass clippings were used to sweep a wood floor
  • an old RC bottle was gifted with a sprinkle top to sprinkle clothing with water before ironing
  • classroom worksheets were purple and smelled of ditto fluid
  • teaberry gum and candy cigarettes!!!
  • rollerskating was a past time, Friday night activity, and mode of transportation. (I still have my skate key.)
  • "Duck and Cover" drills at school
  • being allowed to wear PANTS to school under my skirt when the weather dipped below 15 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Saddle shoes were cool.
  • A warm thermos of Mom's homemade soup.

Kathleen wrote, "...classroom worksheets were purple and smelled of ditto fluid."

So, I guess that's what's wrong with me! :LOL: Having sniffed too many mimeograph sheets. :wacko:

Kathleen wrote, "...classroom worksheets were purple and smelled of ditto fluid."

So, I guess that's what's wrong with me! :LOL: Having sniffed too many mimeograph sheets. :wacko:

Yes, brain damage by mimeograph, I loved running that machine when I worked in the office. Several of my teachers would send me to do their copying when they found out I knew how to run the mimeograph.

Overhead projectors...

Reel to Reel tape machines.

Andy M. said:
I remember...
Men wearing garters to hold up their socks.
Milk delivered to your home by a milkman
Two mail deliveries a day
Phonographs & 78 RPM records that shattered if dropped
The Edsel
Black and white TV
Ringer washers
Egg Beaters (the utensil, not the egg white product)
Metal lunch boxes with your favorite TV star's picture outside and a thermos inside.

Just have to point out, I think men wore garters attached to their socks to keep their shirts tucked in :) I wear those at work because I'm 5' so I have to reach up for everything and then my work shirt billows out over my pants and looks frumpy.

I know the kids in our family are all grown up when we are fighting over the bread pans and home made dish scrubbies my grandma is giving away, and because at thanksgiving, we are now the ones slaving over the stove while all the parents are chatting in the living room lol

I'm the baby in the family, and I'm 25

Cooking on a wood stove and putting your hand in the oven to test the temperature.

The grocery store clerk got all your items for you and totalled them up on a brown bag.

I am 72 y.o.

I remember
- When a "play date" was dressing up Barbie and Ken (not Alix's ;)) and pretending they were going dancing!
- When moms would let their kids out the door in the mornings and we would play in whatever yard we felt like (or the hill at the end of the street) until the moms would call out it was lunch time!
- When I could go to a Saturday afternoon matinee and see Elvis movies for 25 cents and another 25 cents for a popcorn and drink!
- gogo boots and hot pants!
- Begging my parents to drive about a half hour to get to the first McDonald's in our area so I could have a Big Mac....and it was almost too big to eat!
- using clothes pegs to hold playing cards on to our bicycle spokes because the clicking sound was so cool!
- When we first moved to BC and the guy came to offer us cablevision - it gave us 4 extra channels (we had two) and we got to watch American TV!!!!
- Walking everywhere as a kid and not complaining because there was no other options!

Ask your wife to darn your socks.

I was laughing about this one this week. Bought a new chair that I got for a discount because there is a tear in the back. Told hubby I can darn it, if I can find a color of thread or yarn to match. We both started laughing. Who'd bother to darn a sock now when it is much cheaper to buy them by the dozens at wal-mart or some such? I hated darned socks, anyway, because no matter how good you are at it, it's still a little lumpy feeling! Some times it is "Thank heaven the "good old days" are gone!"

When you wanted to communicate with someone you either walked down the street and knocked on their door, or you called them for a chat.

On Sundays when I did not go to church I had to stay inside and lick S & H Green stamps.

Getting dressed up to go into a department store.

Having my small purchases put into a box lined with tissue paper and then placed into a small shopping bag.

Metal charge-a-plates.

On Sundays when I did not go to church I had to stay inside and lick S & H Green stamps.

Getting dressed up to go into a department store.

Having my small purchases put into a box lined with tissue paper and then placed into a small shopping bag.

Metal charge-a-plates.

On some Sundays, after we left church, we stopped into a green stamp store. There were gold stamps as well, but they did not last as long.
Now there are "points". Just ask Peggy.

On some Sundays, after we left church, we stopped into a green stamp store. There were gold stamps as well, but they did not last as long.
Now there are "points". Just ask Peggy.

We also had plaid stamps.

My mother always used them when she needed a "cheap and flashy" shower gift or wedding present. :LOL:

When you wanted to communicate with someone you either walked down the street and knocked on their door, or you called them for a chat.

Communication is on demand constantly these days Alix. With cell phones, tweeting and texting one must be available 24/7. Not so long ago, people were phoned at their home, and if nobody answered you had to remember to keep trying. If the line was "busy" it meant you weren't the most important person at the time. Most of us remember when answering machines were the latest thing, now with cell phones anyone can be tracked down anywhere, anytime. Nobody knows my cell phone number and I like it that way. It's all just too much for me.....I enjoy being peacefully out of touch like the old days. ;)

I'm 67

I was laughing about this one this week. Bought a new chair that I got for a discount because there is a tear in the back. Told hubby I can darn it, if I can find a color of thread or yarn to match. We both started laughing. Who'd bother to darn a sock now when it is much cheaper to buy them by the dozens at wal-mart or some such? I hated darned socks, anyway, because no matter how good you are at it, it's still a little lumpy feeling! Some times it is "Thank heaven the "good old days" are gone!"
Both my wife and I are retired dinosaurs and not fans of the disposable mentality of modern society. Both remember the days when many folks got along fine with treadle powered sewing machines, kerosene heaters, the luxury of coal fired steam heating boilers, unheated bedrooms with big featherbeds, the water & soap saving virtues of wringer type washing machines and the charm of wood fired cookstoves. We both prefer standard transmission cars and trucks, with hand cranked windows, the long gone vertical vent frontmost window, a manual choke, throttle, and spark advance. I'm quite willing to buy merchandise that will last 3 X the Walmart type stuff, if I can be certain it will last 5 or more times the cheesy stuff.

Below is a quote from a fellow in the Smokey Mts. of N.C. gently complaining to LL Bean about their current model for merchandising. His grammar and spelling might not be the best, but I somewhat share his sentiments{

Compairing some old LL bean things to the new.I was at a older friends house ,we were looking at some of his old LL Bean stuff and some of his and my new things. As you know there is a lot of changes,the old is just made better.I have been all over the world and used and had things made for me in other countrys .The things made in the USA are just made better,not chepely as made outside the US. Your Co. started out with things made by your Co. in the U.S. Of very good quality that was your thing then. I am sorry to say ,not so today. Yes you sill make some things here ,but you import so much that is not the right size or is poorly made . I have read so many reviews about your products,and a lot of them are telling you somthing you as a Co. know . The imports are NOT as good as USA. made products, to say nothing of the loss of US. jobs. I am so sorry this letter is so strong . But you need to change your ways ,and bring it back to the USA. Before a lot of your loyal customers go to COs. that deal with products made in the USA. On a good note you have great customer service ,and your people are always so nice,they understand your problems and do there best to help. . Thank you for that.

XXX- Bill

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom