"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-28-2006, 02:33 PM   #31
Master Chef

Yes, I know. My friend in the UK laughs at me when I whine about the gas prices here - lol!

Old 04-28-2006, 02:47 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to GarrettB Send a message via Skype™ to GarrettB
Filled up my Galant for about thirty dollars the other day. My Parisian friend turns to me and says "Hey, good deal!".

"What?!"

"That'd cost about $75 where I come from"

Quite the international perspective.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:51 PM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettB
...Quite the international perspective.
...and they pay a lot less for Bordeaux and Burgundy wines that we do. Prices in other countries are irrelevant to what's currently happening in this country.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:03 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to GarrettB Send a message via Skype™ to GarrettB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Prices in other countries are irrelevant to what's currently happening in this country.
Of course they're relevant. If not for reasons like globalization, integrated markets, global competition, comparative consumer awareness et. al then the price of gasoline in another country can at least make me feel a bit better about $3.00 per gallon, which will sway my vote and keep me from rioting in the street.

Seems pretty significant to me.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:10 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

So, as long as you're paying less than someone else, you feel good about?

A good portion of the price of gasoline in European countries is taxes. Their taxes are a lot higher than ours, making comparisons meaningless.

What's important is whether gas in this country is fairly priced, not how it compares to the prices in other countries.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:10 PM   #36
Senior Cook

I think it sucks, but I try not to think about it and get rilled up, I've come to the conclusion that I HAVE to buy gas for whatever the price is, and there is nothing you or me can do about it. The more i think about it the madder i get, so i simply try to forget it. I think paying almost a hundred dollars a month for cable TV is rediculous, but i do it. Gas is something that is mandatory for the most part. If gas goes to $5 we are STILL going to buy it because we have no choice.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:06 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55
Kim,

While corn (ethanol) is getting a lot of media "play" these days, it isn't the answer that everyone is trying to make it out to be.

It can help tremendously, but it does have some issues of it's own.

The main problem is that unless they can refine the distillation process, it almost always takes more thermal energy to distill the alcohol than it will return. I'm sure that a means to make it more econmically viable can be found, it may just take some time. There's been tremendous progress in fuel ethanol in the last few years though, so there is some hope.

The E85 blend currently on the market, ironically given it's name, yields roughly 15% LESS energy per gallon than gasoline does. And currently, because of the demand for ethanol for summer fuel blends, costs almost as much! (Good for farmers, bad for drivers! )

John

John

THERE it is! Haven't read completely through all the threads, but am so glad you brought this up, John! This is where we need to be putting our energy, resources and talent, in developing a usable alternative to oil and gas - for so many reasons beyond just our pocketbooks! I wish all the energy the media is paying on the OMG shock and awe of pump prices, and the heavy profits of the oil companies, would go into more reporting about sustainable alternatives energy sources.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:08 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
THERE it is! Haven't read completely through all the threads, but am so glad you brought this up, John! This is where we need to be putting our energy, resources and talent, in developing a usable alternative to oil and gas - for so many reasons beyond just our pocketbooks! I wish all the energy the media is paying on the OMG shock and awe of pump prices, and the heavy profits of the oil companies, would go into more reporting about sustainable alternatives energy sources.
There was just a program a few weeks ago on Discovery or something, about how Brazil has been using - I think - sugar cane for years and years as fuel. And the byproducts from the distilling are then turned around and used as energy in the distilling plants themselves. Lots of camera shots of major city streets, pointing out the size of the cars compared to lots of ours.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:00 PM   #39
Executive Chef

$3.02 for reg.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:55 PM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
There was just a program a few weeks ago on Discovery or something, about how Brazil has been using - I think - sugar cane for years and years as fuel. And the byproducts from the distilling are then turned around and used as energy in the distilling plants themselves. Lots of camera shots of major city streets, pointing out the size of the cars compared to lots of ours.
Yep, anything that has sugars that yeast can ferment can produce alcohol, they've even managed to find ways to ferment sugars from inedible grasses so that it won't cut into the food supply, it's just that it's still a fairly ineffecient process (although the fact that it's renewable makes it a fair trade). It get's fermented into alcohol, then distilled (and since it isn't for human consumption, the focus can be on yield, not taste/drinkability ).

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote