You think we pay too much for gas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In answer to your topic question - yes. And w/out getting into politics, that's all I'll say! :angel:

I drive a Subaru Forester, and just filled up for $35 - most it's ever cost. Hubbie drives an old Ford Ranger, it's about $50 for a fillup.

Yes.

The oil companies are a bunch of fat cats who are taking us for a ride (take a look at their profits!!!) with the complicity of governments.

Half of the oil-producing countries have formed a cartel (OPEC), and even if they weren't out to earn the most money, thier production potential is practically is presently working at full capacity.

And, let's not forget taxes in all this. Where I live (France) ***82%*** of what I pay at a service station goes to the state.

Best regards,
Alex R.

The gas in Europe is very expensive, but also they do not drive as much as we do and probably can get away without driving alltohether. Publick transportation there is good enough to get anywhere within resonable time and convinience. Having spent time in Austria and Italy I have never had to warry about not having car.

Totally agree with Alex. Gas prices are outrageous and oil company profits are obscene. Apparently, there is no accounting for what they can and do charge. Bush, et al, are a bunch of oil men so what do they care about this anyhow? Now, I hear on the news, that our brilliant minds in Bush's administration are suggesting/considering giving everyone a $100 gas "rebate" or whatever they want to call it. How dumb is that? The cost to process such a procedure would be huge and, for most families, the measly $100 wouldn't go very far. For some families, with these prices per gallon, just the expense of getting to and fro work can be nearly as much as their home mortages. If a family is living on a tight budget and there is truly no extra money, how are they supposed to afford the high gas prices? I feel the most empathy for them and it appears no one in government cares one iota. Well, as you can all probably see, I'm totally disgusted about this issue.

Yes and lets not forget to thank President Clinton for giving oil companies great exuse for rasing prices, by not building the refineries. The profits are indeed huge, but if you look into numbers by comparacing the Exon for example is made 7% more this year than last year. That is not that much, compare how much price of gas went up. We should have been driling in Alaska 10 years ago.
Now having said that I completely agree that goverment is not doing enough now to help the situation.

Hi everyone. This is your friendly Admin giving you a friendly reminder to keep politics out of our conversations please.

Thank you :)

Neah, GB, it is nor politicks. It is our goverment that has not done anything about this problem starting from about 3-4 decades ago. Both side of the aile are at fault. Everybody knows that oil is not an unlimited resource, everybody knew it would come to this sooner or latter and to develope a solution for such a massive problem it takse decades of research, but nothing was ever done. i don't blame anybody in particular, I blame them all together.

Wether we play the blame game or not, this forum has a strict no politics policy. I do not want to remove this thread as it is a valuable topic that can be discussed, but we need to discuss it without bringing Bush, Clinton, or any other political discussions into it.

Hopefully this little observation will be considered a politics free post :cool:

In the past year in Michigan, gas has been firmly entrenched at over $2.00 a gallon. Why do I bring this up? I bring it up because for all the screaming and crying about the end of the world $3.00 a gallon will supposedly bring, it's the same screaming and crying about the end of the world that $2.20 brought, and $2.50, and $2.75...

And yet, here we are, a year later, and there are as many big trucks on the road as there were a year ago. There are as many cars overall as well. Why do I bring this up? Because in the past year, based on my unscientific observations, the general public in Michigan - faced with the end of the world according to them, has apparently done nothing to attempt to lower their fuel intake, all while gas prices have continued to climb.

Maybe it's not the end of the world after all? :ROFLMAO:

Although now I have that REM song stuck in my head!!! :-p ARRRGH!!!!

John

My answer is, "Yes". We are being charged too much for gas. How much gas costs in other countries is not relevant to our situation, especially if the difference is in taxes.

It angers me that gas prices are at or near an all-time high and at the very same time the oil companies announce record profits. Then the calmly blame the hight prices on the price of oil or the conversion to ethanol, or switching from cold to warm weather formulas... Anything to hide the truth!

Recognizing that this is a free enterprise society and they get to charge what ever they want, a consumer boycott is the only action that will have any effect. Unfortunately, we are a mobile society with population spread out over a very large area. We cannot do without the auto. We can only cut back minimally. What are you going to do, drive half way to work to save gas?

I'm angry and frustrated that the oil companies know all this and take advantage of the situation to make their profits.

Yes many people are now driving half way to work. The

park and ride service our bus company has is seeing a big increase in riders. The bus stops at stores or malls who have large parking lots and people drive to those bus stops, park their cars there free for the day and save lots of gas and also the parking fees we have to pay close to work. This really helps the people who live off the bus routes. The routes from these park and ride sites are usually express routes to downtown so they are usually really quick.

I ain't happy about the price of gas, fuel oil, etc. I ain't happy about a lot of things. But, at 22, back in 1978, me and my firstus car...gas just topped at a buck. At that cost and my salary then...gas would need to be over $8 a gal to equal the same ratio. I betcha a lot of us can make that kinda figurin'

I don’t know if we’re paying too much, but I do know I don’t like paying so much. But I don’t like paying $3 for a gallon of milk either. I’m not comparing the two, simply stating I don’t like paying high prices for anything! My personal opinion is that us consumers are just as much to blame for the situation we’re in as any government or company. The companies have known for a long time that our oil supplies are a limited resource – but so have we! What have we, as everyday people, done about it? Well, the majority of us complain to our family and friends that the prices are too high, that the companies and governments should be, and should have been doing something to guard against this day. However, when it’s time to run to the grocery store that’s less than a mile away, what do we do? Most of us hop in our car and drive to the store instead of walking or biking. What about taking the kids to school? Are they taken or do they walk? Mostly, they are driven because Junior doesn’t want to walk What about when our little Susie is invited to her friend’s house that’s 5 or 6 blocks away? Is she told to ride her bike? What about work? Do we carpool? No, it’s too inconvenient. I’d have to go and leave at the same time as the group or the driver. I couldn’t run my errands during lunch if I rode with someone else. But people used to walk to the store, Junior used to walk to school, Susie used to ride her bike to her friend's, employees used to carpool. If we, as consumers, began doing the little things that, by themselves don’t amount to much, but all together added up, wouldn’t that send some sort of message to the companies? At the very least, it would show that we are concerned about our future! It isn’t the complete answer, but it is part of the answer. At least that’s what I believe. After all, should there be higher expectations for companies or governments than there are for ourselves?

Robo410 said:
...gas would need to be over $8 a gal to equal the same ratio. I betcha a lot of us can make that kinda figurin'

Careful Robo, don't want to give any gas stations or oil companies any ideas! :ROFLMAO:

John

ps8 I respectfully disagree with a lot of what you are saying. I see a ton of carpooling going on. In a lot of places it is simply not safe to let kids walk to school. I certainly will not let my young child walk 6 blocks down the street (once she is old enough to do so of course) because of all the predators out there. Times have changed. It used to be a lot safer for kids to be out alone, but that is not the case anymore. I am also not letting my kid walk to school when they have major roads they would have to cross. Their safety is more important and conserving gas to me.

As far as walking or taking a bike to the store, that might work if you just just going down to pick up a gallon of milk, but most people I know walk out of the supermarket with a trunk load of stuff. There is no way that would fit on a bike or be able to be carried while walking.

Last edited:
But since we should all get a daily walk maybe we should walk

to the grocery store more than once a week to do our shopping. And if all of the 12 kids on my block walked to school TOGETHER it would be safer. And when they met up with the 20 kids from the other three sides of the block there would be quite a group all walking TOGETHER. The older kids could be told to keep an eye on their younger siblings and all the other younger kids. This type of responsibility used to be second nature when I was growing up. It didn't seem to be a problem when my son was growing up. While I realize that not every neighborhood is within walking distance to the elementary school some are and there is no reason that high school kids need to be driven 2 or 3 blocks to school.

Lizannd said:
The older kids could be told to keep an eye on their younger siblings and all the other younger kids. This type of responsibility used to be second nature when I was growing up.
I understand what you are saying, but there is no way i am going to place that responsibility on a child. My childs saftey is my (and my wifes) responsibility and ours alone. I do not know the other kids in the neigborhood and I am not going to trust them to look after the welfare of my young child. Are they going to be the one to make sure my kid looks both ways when crossing the road? Why would we think they would even do a good job at watching after the younger ones?

I don't know about walking. The closest school is about 3 or so miles away, in our friendly Minnesota weather I would not recommend anybody to walk that far. And as far as my own kids, their school is 10 miles away, closest grocery 5 miles away. When we lived down town, we walked everywhere and had only one car. Today I work 20 miles away and would have to take 3 different buses to get to my work and even then, the bus stop is about a mile away.

Just wanted to comment on the fact that we are politics free here! I'm glad! I've seen too many arguments start over politics.
As far as gas prices are concerned, they are getting ridiculous. I feel bad for myself but feel worse for my son who is just trying to get a life on his own started. His latest raise has been completely eaten up by the increase in gas prices. How are the young people supposed to get their own homes while paying exhorbitant amounts for fuel?

Back
Top Bottom