You were a little girl of the 70's and 80's if...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
  • You wore a rainbow shirt with half-sleeves, and the rainbow started at the bottom of one sleeve, going across your chest and down the other sleeve.
  • You made baby chocolate cakes in your “Easy Bake Oven” and washed them down with snow cones from your “Snoopy Snow Cone Machine.”
  • You had the “Fisher-Price Doctor’s Kit” with a stethoscope that actually worked.
  • You owned a bicycle with a banana seat and plastic basket with flowers on it.
  • You learned to skate on actual skates, not roller blades, with 4 metal wheels on the concrete sidewalk. Helmet and pads? What are those?
  • You thought Gopher from “The Love Boat” was cute. Admit it!
  • You had nightmares after watching “Fantasy Island.”
  • You had rubber boots for rainy days and Moon boots for snowy ones. You either had a “bowl cut” or “pixie”, not to mention the “Dorothy Hamill,” because your mom was sick of braiding your hair. Sometimes, people thought you were a boy. {I had a pixie} LOL
  • Your “Holly Hobbie” sleeping bag was your most prized possession (and what about the “Holly Hobbie” doll, jewelry box, necklace, etc.)
  • You wore a poncho, gauchos or knickers.
  • You begged Santa for the electronic game “Simon.”
  • You had the “Donny & Marie” dolls with those pink and purple satiny, shredded outfits.
  • You spent hours in your backyard on your metal swing set with the trapeze. The swing set tipped over at least once.
  • You had homemade ribbon barrettes in every imaginable color with the long strands hanging down with beads on the ends. Cool!
  • You had a pair of Dr. Scholl’s sandals, the ones that were just a buckle and sole.
  • You wanted to be Laura Ingalls-Wilder really bad. You wore that Little House on the Prairie-inspired plaid, ruffle shirt with the high neck in at least one school picture, and you despised Nellie Olsen!
  • You wanted your first kiss to be at the roller rink.
  • Your hairstyle was described as having “wings” or “feathers,” and you kept it “pretty” with the comb in your back pocket.
  • You know who “Strawberry Shortcake” is, as well as her friends, “Blueberry Muffin” and “Huckleberry Pie.”
  • You carried a “Wonder Woman’ lunchbox to school, and it was metal, not plastic.
  • You and your girlfriends would argue over which of “The Dukes of Hazzard” was your boyfriend.
  • Every now and then, “It’s a Hard Knock Life” from the movie “Annie” will pop into your brain, and you can’t stop singing it the whole day.
  • You had “Star Wars” action figures, too!
  • It was a big event in your household each year when the “Wizard of Oz” would come on TV. Your mom would break out the popcorn and sleeping bags!
  • You often asked your “Magic 8-Ball” the question: “Who will I marry? Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garrett or Rick Springfield?”
  • You completely wore out your “Grease,” “Saturday Night Fever,” and “Fame” soundtrack record albums.
  • You tried to do a lot of arts and crafts, like yarn and Popsicle-stick God’s eyes, decoupage, or those weird potholders made on a plastic loom.
  • You made “Shrinky-Dinks,” and put iron-on kittens on your t-shirts.
  • You tape recorded songs of the radio by holding your portable tape player up to the speaker.
  • You couldn’t wait to get the free animal poster when you ordered books from the “Weekly Reader Book Club.” Double score if it was a teddy bear dressed in clothing.
  • You learned everything you needed to know about girls issues from Judy Blume books. Remember “Are You There God, It’s Me, Margaret ?”
  • You thought Olivia Newton-John’s song, “Physical,” was about aerobics. (and of course, wearing cool leg warmers!)
  • You wore friendship pins on your tennis shoes, and your shoelaces had hearts or rainbows on them.
  • You wanted to be a “Solid Gold Dancer.”
  • You had a “Big Wheel” with a brake on the side and a “Sit-n-Spin.”
  • You had subscriptions to “Dynamite” and “Tiger Beat.”
  • You spent all your allowance on scratch and sniff stickers for your sticker album!

Last edited:
Hi Texasgirl, do you have a link for this - I really want to read it but the page looks all mixed (lots of code in it) up here (lol, unless it's supposed to look like that)...Thanks hon :)

LOL... Yep, I sure had/did a lot of those things. Thanks for the
Memories.

This is just sad!!! I did a lot of that stuff!!

These are a few of my favorites:
-You and your girlfriends would argue over which of “The Dukes of Hazzard” was your boyfriend.
-Every now and then, “It’s a Hard Knock Life” from the movie “Annie” will pop into your brain, and you can’t stop singing it the whole day.
-You had “Star Wars” action figures, too!
-It was a big event in your household each year when the “Wizard of Oz” would come on TV. Your mom would break out the popcorn and sleeping bags!
-You made “Shrinky-Dinks,” and put iron-on kittens on your t-shirts
-You wanted to be a “Solid Gold Dancer.”
-You had a “Big Wheel” with a brake on the side and a “Sit-n-Spin.”
-You spent all your allowance on scratch and sniff stickers for your sticker album!

I acctually went to church once & told everyone that I wanted to be a Solid Gold Dancer when I grew up. :blush:

Oh, the "Wizard of Oz" is comming on this Friday, Saturday, & Sunday nights on TBS. I had acctually though about getting out the kids sleeping bags & watching it with them.:ROFLMAO:

I still have some of those Shrinky Dinks & sticker albums at my parents house too.

I would steal my brothers Star Wars & GI Joe figures so my Barbies could have husbands.

Last edited:
crewsk said:

I would steal my brothers Star Wars & GI Joe figures so my Barbies could have husbands.

lol, we used to do the opposite with my sister's barbies and my g.i joes, but they weren't getting married. joe was just happy if she left in the morning without making a big deal of anything...:cool:

oh man the memories !!!! did you guys know i broke my wrist while rollerskating in a pair of strawberry shortcake roller skates ? true stoy !

oh, that's what Olivia Newton-Johns song "Physical" was about...... it all makes sense now. Like, oh my gawd, gag me with a spoon!
bek091.gif

vidphy11.jpg
Yeah, she does look like she is enjoying something other than aerobics... (and he too mamma mia...):ROFLMAO:

middie said:
oh man the memories !!!! did you guys know i broke my wrist while rollerskating in a pair of strawberry shortcake roller skates ? true stoy !

Middie

True stoy:)

Cameron

Were they "supposed" to be attractive back then? Check it out, she is wearing a "shrug"! I have spent quite a few dollars on these the past year when they were all the rage, only to find it was ressurected from the 80's?!?!? Rest assured, children, do not be frightened, Ms. Olivia is giving Mr. Greasy Hair a much-needed massage. He must be really tense. yyyyyyyeeeehhhhhhhawwwwwwwwwwww!
urmaniac13 said:
vidphy11.jpg
Yeah, she does look like she is enjoying something other than aerobics... (and he too mamma mia...):ROFLMAO:

And I wonder these little girls of today realise that those stuff Bratz are wearing (esp. those platform shoes!!) are like exactly the blast from the 70's??

You wanted to be Laura Ingalls-Wilder really bad. You wore that Little House on the Prairie-inspired plaid, ruffle shirt with the high neck in at least one school picture, and you despised Nellie Olsen!

OK, don't laugh!! I can't believe I'm actually sharing this picture!:wacko: This is me when I was 5.

Last edited:
Crewsk, I had the same exact blouse! It had a "matching" plaid ruffley skirt and vest. It was my all-time favorite outfit (I'm thinking it must have been '79)!

Crewsk, that is too cute.
When I was little watching Bewitched, I would walk around twinkling my nose. If I can remember, I will take a picture to work and scan to put in here and show you why. LOL

hellschef, isn't it funny to look at the reruns and remember that stuff and laugh at what we used to think about? LOL

buckytom said:
lol, we used to do the opposite with my sister's barbies and my g.i joes, but they weren't getting married. joe was just happy if she left in the morning without making a big deal of anything...:cool:

Games haven't changed much over the years. :LOL:

Children, I was at Southern Illinois University in 1971. I went to see Simon and Garfunkle on their original "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" tour, sat on the floor with the hippies in the student union, experienced the smell of tear gass and had a dear friend decide she could fly out of the top of her 17 story dormitory. The school was actually closed the next spring, because of all the riots that broke out after Kent State. It was a wild place, where you could get run off the sidewalk by a group of Black Panthers, or a "convoy" of people in wheel chairs.

I think the thing that kept me safe, was that I had a little girl to take care of, and I lived at home with my parents, commuting 40 miles each way, every day, with a few friends.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom