Your 10 fav authors/writers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

urmaniac13

Executive Chef
Since many of u guys listed reading as one of your fav activities, I thought of this would be the next top 10 thread... who are your favourite authors / writers, both past and present?

Mine...

1 James Herriot
2 Edward Rutherfurd
3 Fyodor Dostoyevsky
4 Arthur Conan Doyle
5 Oscar Wilde
6 Charles Dickens
7 Frederick Forsyth
8 Bruce Alexander
9 Donald Westlake
10 Colin Dexter

Honorary mention - Michael Bond of Paddington Bear stories, especially the ones with original pen & ink drawings by Peggy Fortnum!!

img_181509_0_030d00cbeddd80d58a990c1a205ca0f5.jpg

James Patterson
Victoria Holt
L. Frank Baum
John Saul
Robert Frost * does poetry count??*
Marcia Muller
Dan Brown ( I've only read two of his but I'm on the library wait list for more)
Maeve Binchey
and don't tell anyone but I like Danielle Steel.... hush!

pdswife said:
James Patterson
Victoria Holt
L. Frank Baum
John Saul
Robert Frost * does poetry count??*
Marcia Muller
Dan Brown ( I've only read two of his but I'm on the library wait list for more)
Maeve Binchey
and don't tell anyone but I like Danielle Steel.... hush!

Yeah... good point... indeed one of the big reasons I like Oscar Wilde is his poetry... I could have included John Keats high in the list, too!!

Jane Austen
Charlotte Bronte
Thackery
Ian Rankin
Quentin Jardine
Paul Johnston
Christopher Brookmyre
Iain Banks
Denise Mina
Penny Vincenzi

I read so many 'factual' books as part of my job that I love the escapist elements of some of the above authors.:)

I love so many my list would be endless. But I do have to mention Gabriel Garcia Marquez, my fellow countryman.

Sorry, mine are all the non-fiction stuff. I like all the true story things too,but, I don't know any particular names. I usually go straight to the shelf and grab what I haven't read yet :eek:) I also like the corny American Indian books.

Steven King
Dean Koontz
John Saul
Jackie Collins
Andrew Greeley
Victoria Holt
James Patterson
Nora Roberts
V.C. Andrews { from her and not her daughter. I haven't read any that her daughter picked up when she died}

texasgirl said:
Sorry, mine are all the non-fiction stuff. I like all the true story things too,but, I don't know any particular names. I usually go straight to the shelf and grab what I haven't read yet :eek:) I also like the corny American Indian books.

Steven King
Dean Koontz
John Saul
Jackie Collins
Andrew Greeley
Victoria Holt
James Patterson
Nora Roberts
V.C. Andrews { from her and not her daughter. I haven't read any that her daughter picked up when she died}[/QUOT

Another Victoria Holt fan!! And John Saul and James Patterson. Our book shelves must look pretty much the same. Nora Robersts is the only one I haven't read. I'll have to check her out. Have you read John Sauls newest?? PERFECT NIGHTMARE ?? It's really good!! And James Patterson has a new one coming out in July MARY MARY it's an Alex Cross story!! I can't wait to read it. Paul has a sticky note on his computer to remind him to buy it for me! I'm such a lucky wife. :):)

I haven't been able to read in so long. I couldn't even tell you what the last John Saul I read:rolleyes:
I'll have to get back into it. I used to read a book a day before I was working. DH always threatened to burn the books cause I didn't pay any attention to him except to fix dinner :LOL:

texasgirl said:
I haven't been able to read in so long. I couldn't even tell you what the last John Saul I read:rolleyes:
I'll have to get back into it. I used to read a book a day before I was working. DH always threatened to burn the books cause I didn't pay any attention to him except to fix dinner :LOL:

No time to read.. oh that's sad!!
Books have always been my "drug" of choice.
They take me away to another time and place.
I read everyday.. even if it's just a page or two before
sleeping. Hope you find some time to read the new ones.:):)

i'm very picky.
there are only a few.
-hemingway
-sylvia plath
-j.d. salinger
-poe
-sue monk kidd

and, for lighter reading,
-lauren weisberger
-adele lang

I don't know if there's 10, but I'll give it a shot:

Nelson DeMille
Michael Crichton
Dan Brown
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Robert Jordan
Terry Brooks
Tom Clancy
J.K. Rowling
Howard Zinn (A People's History of the United States)
Charlie Trotter

Pearl Buck
Louisa May Alcott
Steven King
Dean Koontz
Nora Roberts
Harper Lee
Erma Bombeck
Brothers Grimm
Amy Tan

David Baldacci
Stephen King
Anne Maccaffrey
Dave Duncan
Harper Lee
James Patterson
Linda Fairstein
Julie Kaewert
Mercer Mayer
Dr Seuss

hmm.. not much time for reading, to much internet.. :mrgreen:

but there are some I like..

J.R.R. Tolkien
Sten Nadolny
Walter Moers
Henning Mankell
James Herriot
Stephen King
Douglas Adams
Ken Follett
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Bill Watterson ( I love my Calvin & Hobbeses :ROFLMAO: )
Jostein Garder

..... and.... and..... and....

I didn't see a mention of Nicholas Sparks. I've read a few of his books and like them. It's been awhile since I could stick with books that take too long. I start too many at one time and get lost. Perhaps I should take them up again to help my insomnia.

Back
Top Bottom