Your Best of the 1980s!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-DEADLY SUSHI-

Washing Up
From the early 1980s of Arthur's Theme, The Police and Tootsie. TO the mid-80s with Miami Vice And Family Ties. To the Late eighties of Chaka-kahn (sp?) and Debbie Gibson. Gezzz there is Van Halen, Poison, Bon Jovi, Journey and many more as far as music. But there were The Goonies, Ghost Busters and Top Gun. Jonny Carson was still at the helm of The Tonight Show.
Oldsmobiles abound and Toyotas were still some foriegn scum. :huh:

What were YOUR best ENTERTAINMENT moments of the 1980's?

Reganomics were entertaining.

Dead Kennedy's Jello Biafra vs. Tipper Gore.

Goonies is still one of my ALL time faves, along with Labyrinth.

Best entertainment moments of the 1980s?

I was a freshman in college in 1985 - I remember the guys with the long died mohawk hair cuts, the punk look (so shocking for a little farm girl like me!).

some of my best 1980s memories:

- driving for hours to see the Cure, Depeche Mode, the Smiths, etc - and dancing dancing dancing with my girlfriends.

- the movies: Out of Africa, the Color Purple, Back to the Future.

- the fashion (or lack thereof). Pastel colors, lime green sweaters with black LEGGINGS, spiral perms (which should be outlawed!), padded shoulders on everything, short, skinny skirts, big bows in your hair, white washed jeans, Jane Fonda work out attire - ug.

As far as films go, that was the decade many of my all time faves were produced. To name a few,

Stand By Me
A Fish Called Wanda
Dead Poets Society
Princess Bride
Biloxi Blues
Never Ending Story...

The music, of course I remember plenty of ghastly stuff, but there were also oodles of cool tunes, too...

I still love Cure, Depeche Mode, Erasure, New Order, Elvis Costello, Joe Jackson, Big Audio Dynamites, and Talking Heads.
(shhhh, don't say it aloud, but "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley is one of my fave picks for karaoke!!)

Well, I could say having my kids...but that was only entertaining for the delivery room nurses!:ohmy:

In the early 80s, we followed Twisted Sister around to every local club they played, every weekend.
I don't know how many times we saw Judas Priest or Iron Maiden!
Being there when NYC started dancing again (without benefit of modern medicine or chemicals)....

Seeing ZZ Top in concert was awsome!Doctor Who numbers 4 and 5 were great! And then the decline of Doctor WHo 6 and 7 were HORRIBLE! Miami Vice was GREAT! THough the clothes never lasted a season. :mad: Some of the music was wonderful....... some of it was crap too. :rolleyes:

When I think of the 80's the first thing I think of is rollerskating to Hungry Like The Wolf.

Wearing my sunglasses at night.

No matter what was going on, always being home Friday night to watch Miami Vice.

Pink Izod shirts with the collar turned up.

This was the era of one hit wonders of which a friend of mine is an expert. My favorite is thought is the haircuts of which a new name was given to a classic hairstyle. The was the bi-level drop cut. Does anyone know what this is now referred to? ( Almost put an "as" at the end of the sentence but I need to look out for the grammar police)

JDP

Wearing my sunglasses at night

Great song Gb !!!

Okay for me it's

Back To The Future
Teen Wolf
Family Ties
Growing Pains

And of course the big hair bands like Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, etc...

Anyone remember Strawberry Shortcake and Rainbow Brite ?

middie said:
And of course the big hair bands like Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, etc...
I remember seeing Bon Jovi opening up for Ratt, and they were begging us to call our local radio stations to play them.:LOL: How about White Snake, Cindarella, Twisted Sister, Great White, Krocus, Billy Squire ect... I'd like to forget the 80's.;)

Sasame Street :) OK, OK, I was almost a teenager in 1989! Mysister was in her teens and twenties though, and living in London so I had a good idea of the New Romantic music movement and I got hand me down tapes, some excellent music!

So many things happened in the 80s!! I remember what has already been posted by others. I think the greatest thing that happened for me was the births of my daughters and being there for them as they grew!!!

Of course who could forget this:
img_392860_0_8cc05cf68c3226a7e8c877d60b7645ef.jpg

img_392860_1_2dfb39d3244410b79a96ed6da7db2927.jpg

(You knew I couldn’t resist, huh? LOL!!!)

I remember the 80's well...taking my teen-age daughter and her friends to concerts like REO Speedwagon, Rush, Heart, Van Halen and ZZ Top...listening to Fleetwood Mac, Aerosmith, and Zepplin...divorcing husband #2...:glare:

GB - I know see you in a whole new light....tell me - did you go sockless with your deck shoes too? And shave only every 3 days?

urmaniac....words escape me. But, being a haridresser in the 80's was a blast for me. Remember the "flock of seagulls" look? It's amazing what you can do with a hairdryer and a can of aqua net.

speaking of hair, JDP's bi-level drop-cut: mullet. Gave many of those out. On purpose. (and most of the guys got highlights too)

Shunka - I remember Def Leppard as being one of the best shows I ever saw.

I remember seeing tons of bands on the Hollywood strip, begging us to go to their club shows, since they had to pay for all unpaid seats. I specifically remember having demo tapes from many bands before they got famous. (just was telling that to my teenager this morning, when he asked if I'd heard of Guns N Roses. I told him I'd seen them in clubs and that I had demo tapes....he freaked out that mom may have been cool at one point)

And Sushi, I even wore my denim miniskirt and hot pink pumps to the ZZ top concert, just like every other girl there.

Oh boy...."MA, I need some more quarters!" Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Tempest. How about Hardcastle & McCormick, Night Rider or Wolf? Fraggle Rock, Alf and "Nanu nanu" Mork & Mindy. TRON! Drive-in movie theaters, fat shoe laces, break dancing. "Roxanne, Roxanne...I wanna be yo man."

other than Beer...

TV: the A-Team, Mork and Mindy, Happy Days, V, Dukes of Hazard.
Movies: Bladerunner, Alien
Songs: Anything by; Sisters of Mercy, Alice Cooper or ELO.

Back
Top Bottom