"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-19-2007, 07:47 PM   #1
Master Chef

your day?

mine was simplistic-scouring pavement with my sneakers & putting an avon order into a cute bag to give to my customer.
your today/tomorrow?

Old 04-19-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
Head Chef

You sell Avon? So do I.

My day was a typical work day...now we're trying to decide what to eat tonight.

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:52 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Thursday is laundry and housecleaning day here. Also spent some time planning menus for May and putting together the grocery list for that.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Thursday is laundry and housecleaning day here. Also spent some time planning menus for May and putting together the grocery list for that.
Miss Katie...

Menu and grocery list for May You and Mr Buck gonna hitch up the wagon and go in to town? Better add two gallons of whiskey to the list. Ya can't be runnin out

I had short ribs with 50 (yes 50) cloves of garlic tonight

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Miss Katie...

Menu and grocery list for May You and Mr Buck gonna hitch up the wagon and go in to town? Better add two gallons of whiskey to the list. Ya can't be runnin out
Yep, May. I usually have our menus planned for each quarter of the year, but I got lazy during this year's first quarter. I'll catch up.

Part of my level of organization came from running a house with, at one time, 8 children, a husband, and me with a full-time job. I think I know every shortcut in the book and may have invented a few of my own.

As far as the groceries, we live in a very rural area, with the closest reasonable grocery shopping market about 30 miles away. The next best is about 150 miles away. I shop every two weeks, so I make my trips count.

I'm also a very unusual female, in that I HATE to shop and will create efficient ways to minimize the discomfort. Ask Buck, he'll tell you.

Whiskey? That is what I need after an 8-hour day of shopping for supplies and Buck always makes sure I have some when I get home. It's his job to make dinner on those nights.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:21 PM   #6
Master Chef

I'm trying to get over a nasty sinus infection. Houston is full of all kinds of airborne junk right now (grass, weeds, and tree pollen and mold spores not to mention probably some air pollution as well) and I'm allergic to all of it. I see an ENT doctor tomorrow and hope to get some kind of relief. Other than feeling yuck and taking a two hour nap this afternoon (which is so unlike me)not much is going on. Kudos to you Katie E. for being so organized--I hear that Kentucky is just around the corner anytime you want to stop by and give me some tips!!! :):):)
Old 04-19-2007, 08:28 PM   #7
Head Chef

Wow, Katie, I'm impressed! Do you plan your meals by the day - or just a general plan of 90 different meals in a quarter? And if you plan by the day...do you stray from the plan?

Old 04-19-2007, 08:40 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie
Wow, Katie, I'm impressed! Do you plan your meals by the day - or just a general plan of 90 different meals in a quarter? And if you plan by the day...do you stray from the plan?
There are 90 different meals per quarter. Except, April is our "E" month. We rate our recipes. The highest rating is an "E," which stands for "excellent." In order to earn this rating, the dish has to be relatively easy to prepare (although, sometimes, complexity is excused due to the final "wow" end product), pleasing to the eye, tasty, and if it is something we would gladly serve to company. We're in the throes of this year's E dishes and havin' a ball.

I plan my menus with an eye to using seasonal and readily available ingredients and rarely stray from what I've planned. If the recipe makes more servings than we feel we can eat, I will make it and freeze half for a busy day sometime down the line or have it ready to bring to a friend who is feeling down, etc.

I take into account different holidays and try to showcase meals that "celebrate" them. I've been planning my menus like this for years and have found great comfort in knowing what will be cooked and when.

Most of the time, I will chop/cut whatever ingedients needed for the day's dish in the morning and have them ready for when dinner's prepared in the evening. Kind of an advance mies en place.

My whole process saves me money and time, both of which are valuable to me. Buck will tell you I'm the cheapest you-know-what in the Universe.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:47 PM   #9
Head Chef

My hat's off to you, Katie! Good job! I don't think I can be that organized...

Old 04-19-2007, 08:54 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie
My hat's off to you, Katie! Good job! I don't think I can be that organized...
Actually, callie, it's not too difficult. After doing it for a time or two, you kind of get caught up in the rhythm of it. It is easy to do. I've done it for so long I just can't understand hearing folks say, "I have no idea what to make for dinner." If I had a penny for every time I've heard that, I'd be rich.

One of the things Buck and I both appreciate about this method is that we are constantly trying new things and aren't into the same-old, same-old routine that is so common.