"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #461
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Maybe a friend from church could talk to him, sometimes it takes someone on the fringe to help out and get the grieving person to open up. Sounds to me like your DH is about ready to implode from his grief and he doesn't know how to safely release it. Grief is so very subjective and the person feeling it does not see what is happening around them. See if a friend can help you with this, have him out for coffee or whatever.
What the Princess and everyone else is saying, simonbaker, it totally true. As I said in an earlier post, I am going through the same thing. Today is 2 months since Dad passed away and the grief just hit me yesterday like a ton of bricks. I received some literature from the hospice society (he was transferred to hospice 8 hours before he passed away) but just kept putting it on the bottom of the pile. Yesterday after posting here I got the courage to call and the lady I spoke to said I would really benefit from grief counseling. I don't know about in the US, but here your loved one doesn't have to have died in hospice to get counseling. It is something to look into.

I will keep you and your hubby in my prayers. I know with me I can't put a time limit on this....I looked after Dad for the last three years and am now having to adjust not only to his not being here, but to do with my time.

Men tend to push things in more than women, but I still can relate - please give him all the time he needs, but also encourage him to seek help as I am going to do and not put all the weight on your shoulders.

Maybe we can PM if you would like. Sometimes there is strength in numbers

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #462
Sous Chef

Very much tiring, so intense heat and humid weather. DH is suffering from heat stroke and I also getting cramps in my limbs.

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #463
Senior Cook

So sorry you're suffering this. I missed the thread about what your DH is grieving about.
It took me a full year to get over my 84-yr old mother's death. I had a lot of support, and still it hurt like heck. My spiritual beliefs and community helped the most.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #464
Chef Extraordinaire

Right now my day sucks big time. I was all ready at 9 o'clock ready for pick up to Winthrop. It is 9:55 now and they just show up. Pick up time was supposed to be 9:20 for a 9:30 appointment. I am so p.o.'d. Transportation makes their own rules. If they think I was non-compliant before, wait til they see what I can do to transportation. I will be holding them right to the schedule or I don't go. Four years of this foolishness is enough.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #465
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Right now my day sucks big time. I was all ready at 9 o'clock ready for pick up to Winthrop. It is 9:55 now and they just show up. Pick up time was supposed to be 9:20 for a 9:30 appointment. I am so p.o.'d. Transportation makes their own rules. If they think I was non-compliant before, wait til they see what I can do to transportation. I will be holding them right to the schedule or I don't go. Four years of this foolishness is enough.
Go get 'em Addie! That is so wrong and unprofessional. Hopefully you don't have to pay for a missed appointment, if so I would take it out of transport.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #466
Certified Cake Maniac

My day has been a tough one. My sinus and gum infections are taking a toll on me and I have to go tomorrow to get a test on my replaced knee to make sure there is no infection there too as it is also very painful.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #467
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Addie, I am not sure what type of transportation but I am guessing it is similar to what my husband does. He drives accessibility buses called "HandyDART". Right now he is at home on a two-hour layover because they have nothing for him. Earlier they had him so over booked he had to drop a couple of clients and hope another driver could take them over because he wouldn't get it all done. I am a client and for me to get a ride for my pool exercises, I have to be ready at 5:10 am and they can pick me up within 15 minutes either direction of that! My swimming starts at 6 am and it is a 15 minute drive! We both get very frustrated so I understand and feel for you.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #468
Senior Cook

I'm sorry for anyone who had a less than palatable day. I sincerely hope tomorrow is the start of a fantastic weekend for everyone.
I will be working 40 hours Friday through Monday, & I'm just hoping to make it to Tuesday without Injury. My today was fantastic! Started out with a great old fashioned country breakfast then spent it swimming all at my best friend's house. Grateful for amazing & loving friends.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #469
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Go get 'em Addie! That is so wrong and unprofessional. Hopefully you don't have to pay for a missed appointment, if so I would take it out of transport.
No money out of my pocket. But it sure is a lot of aggravation. I can file a formal grievance which they do take seriously. They have to file every grievance with Medicare. I would rather handle it in my own way. Be on time, or I don't go. A few of them and they sit up and take notice.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #470
Executive Chef

personally, i would (and do) schedule appointments with plenty of lee time, even if i am driving myself. i would rather wait for a while at my destination than sweat my transportation to show up on time, or have some other unforeseen delay in my plans.