"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #471
Chef Extraordinaire

There is only a ten minute travel time for any one of the two places my appointments are. The problem is the dispatcher for my Winthrop appointments. He is used to having me picked up at ten a.m. When you give him an earlier pickup time, he makes the mistakes of "thinking." Also, he doesn't listen when you call in for a pickup. I hate to be the cause of anyone losing their job. But that is what it is going to come to. I prefer early morning appointments. A lot of times, they are still trying to clean up on the morning appointments after lunch. There is always one patient that puts them behind.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #472
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There is only a ten minute travel time for any one of the two places my appointments are. The problem is the dispatcher for my Winthrop appointments. He is used to having me picked up at ten a.m. When you give him an earlier pickup time, he makes the mistakes of "thinking." Also, he doesn't listen when you call in for a pickup. I hate to be the cause of anyone losing their job. But that is what it is going to come to. I prefer early morning appointments. A lot of times, they are still trying to clean up on the morning appointments after lunch. There is always one patient that puts them behind.
Addie, as I said below, my DH is a driver. Yes, patients put them behind but it is usually the fault of the scheduler, NOT the patient. He has a couple of clients who are regularly late so he has the station give them a 10 minute reminder call (my Dad used to get them and they are great - you know exactly when your ride will arrive - it is an automated recording). Also, the drivers can see their morning schedule on the screen. If the scheduler has under/over booked them it is up the the driver to have it fixed - there are other drivers who can pick up the slack. It isn't a perfect system by any means. And they do rely on customers to call in with complaints to help get it into gear.

You won't necessarily get the driver in trouble, but complain and maybe the underlying problem will be solved. Of course this is presuming your transportation works the same way.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #473
Chef Extraordinaire

The systme is pretty much the same. The problem is with the dispatcher that sets up the schedule each day for the drivers. He is so used to my normal pickup time at ten a.m., that when I have an early morning appointment, he thinks it is a mistake and changes it without confirming it. It must be ten o'clock. The two girls in the office who call in the pickup are great. Very rarely do they make a mistake. Maybe twice a year. And they have a very hard job. Keeping track of the comings and goings of a couple of hundred patients on a daily basis. It is the dispatcher, not the drivers who is at fault.

My appointment has been rescheduled again for next Wednesday at 9:30 a.m. Pickup time again is at 9 a.m. If he changes it again, I will file a formal grievance. Or "formal concern" as they now call it.

As most of the drivers are Latinos, so is the dispatcher. I can understand that. But the schedule is written in English and the dispatcher is the one who writes it up on the computer and hands them out for each driver. All information for pickup and drop offs comes from the two girls in Winthrop. Each driver is given a list of all their pickups and the time. Each list is different. The system works as long as the dispatcher doesn't try to think and make decisions that are wrong. The driver that will be picking me up also will be making pickups in East Boston and Winthrop on the way to the day care center in Winthrop. But when I have an early pickup time, that throws his schedule off and the driver has to make a special trip for just me. That is when the dispatcher changes the schedule to what he is used to. He doesn't like changes.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #474
Chef Extraordinaire

One more footnote.

I am ALWAYS ready early. I am sitting dowstairs, outside weather permitting waiting at least ten to fifteen minutes ahead of the pickup time. I hate to keep people waiting.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #475
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
My day has been a tough one. My sinus and gum infections are taking a toll on me and I have to go tomorrow to get a test on my replaced knee to make sure there is no infection there too as it is also very painful.
(((hugs))) I really hope you have a better day and get all that sh stuff taken care of soon.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #476
Certified Pretend Chef

It's been crappy weather all week. Rainy, damp and cold. I don't have a clue what's for dinner. I had planned one or two grill/smoker meals this week and haven't been able to do either.

Maybe I can sell take-out to my honey.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #477
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It's been crappy weather all week. Rainy, damp and cold. I don't have a clue what's for dinner. I had planned one or two grill/smoker meals this week and haven't been able to do either.

Maybe I can sell take-out to my honey.
I have some errands to run and can't take the scooter out in the rain. But we are supposed to see sun this weekend.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #478
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
One more footnote.

I am ALWAYS ready early. I am sitting dowstairs, outside weather permitting waiting at least ten to fifteen minutes ahead of the pickup time. I hate to keep people waiting.
I wouldn't expect anything else from you Addie and I mean it in the best of ways! My Dad was ALWAYS ready by 8:45 even though his ride wouldn't come until between 9:00 and 9:15. He got the reminder call but it was so HE knew when they were coming....even though he was sitting in his wheelchair facing the door for half an hour!

Old 05-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #479
Chef Extraordinaire

My mother was an Adams. As in John, Sam and that rabble rousing bunch of treasonous folks. All my life I heard; "An Adams would never...." An Adams would always ...." And one of the 'always' was being on time. There is no such thing as being fashionably late. She considered keeping people waiting for you as the height of rudeness.

I drive my daughter crazy. When she is going to drive me somewhere, I am waiting at least a half hour before she has even started to get ready.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #480
Certified Cake Maniac

My Dad's philosophy was "early" meant 1/2 hour early "on time" meant 15 minutes early and "late" was being there when the appointment was for.