"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-09-2008, 10:20 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
How long ago was that? Dentists dont do that now, if so you have the wrong dentist. They were trying in those day by pulling the cheek and rubbing to do exactly what you said distribute the Novocaine. Now they just do do tiny injections wait a bit and continue further slowly until they get where they need to be, no pain at all.
I got the impression it just happened to her. My daughter's cheek was bruised after her recent visit.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #42
Head Chef

Maybe you guys went to the 105 dentists i graduated with that i wouldnt let touch me

Old 01-09-2008, 11:48 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Maybe you guys went to the 105 dentists i graduated with that i wouldnt let touch me
When and where did you graduate from. Most of my horror stories originate in California.

My second favorite is the dentist that put a faulty crown on my tooth, it fell off after two weeks and because I swallowed it (ya think??) he wanted to charge me all over again for a new crown. Seriously, is it any wonder I have a distrust of dentists?
Old 01-10-2008, 01:08 AM   #44
Sous Chef

I have a lot of problems with my teeth. I hate going but have to deal with it when Im there.

I recently got a Sonicare tooth brush with the sanitizer for FREE!!!! I have had one in the past that didnt get used much but this one does. My old one died after about a year, but I think that was cause I never used it and left it on the charger.

ANYWAY, for some of you that want stuff like this for free go to BzzAgent All you have to do is take a few surveys, keep up to date, and they offer you stuff to try out and report back on. Once a year they have given out the Sonicare tooth bursh and that why I signed in. It took me a year but I got one that sales for $179! Just remember to give feed back on the item you get. I have gotten Listerene teeth whitening strips, water bottles for the kids, TV Guide subscription and more in the last year!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
How long ago was that? Dentists dont do that now, if so you have the wrong dentist.
uh, two weeks ago.
wondering do they not see the tears running down my face? do they not hear the sadness in my voice and scared look on my face, do they not care?
Yah, wrong dentist but then, I've not gotten an offer from Larry yet either.
Larry you can PM me to tell me to stop annoying you, it's okay, I'm just frustrated with the dental business all together and sadly, I'm not done...
Old 01-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #46
Head Chef

Dont worry about annoying me. Ive been married 16 years. Im used to it !!
Old 01-10-2008, 04:38 PM   #47
Senior Cook

You all are lucky....

You hate dentist, mmm. How many medical professionals would take the time that Larry did, for nothing? In todays world, we have the opportunity to keep our own teeth until we die. You need to make every effort to do so. There is no substitute for the real thing.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:20 PM   #48
Head Chef

and on my day off, no less

Just kidding, im glad i can be here to help. I feel seeing things from the dentist point of view might open someones eyes a little. And although may not make the situation any better or more comfortable, at least there is an understanding ( hopefully)

Oh, and to answer a previous question, I attended dental school in the early 90's at Temple University in Philly.

Just went back to philly this past weekend and picked up 150 soft pretzels from the Center City Pretzel Factory near the Italian market. Also did a little shopping at Fantes ( great cooking store) and in the market itself ( 3 pounds of cherries for $2.50 )
Old 01-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
You hate dentist, mmm. How many medical professionals would take the time that Larry did, for nothing? In todays world, we have the opportunity to keep our own teeth until we die. You need to make every effort to do so. There is no substitute for the real thing.
IMO Larry isn't a dentist, he's a member and a good person. He isn't out to make anything off of us, he's being a good person trying to help those of us that hyperventilate just going near a dentist office or throw up just because of the smell. Larry didn't do what he did for nothing, he did it because he's a good person and he's a member here.

"In today's word we have the opportunity to keep our own teeth until we die...." You didn't finish that sentence. It ends with "....as long as you have money." Federal law says you can't refuse medical treatment to the sick and injured but federal law doesn't help with your teeth. My SIL has Medi-Cal but it doesn't include dental. In California when I was on unemployment I wasn't eligible for Medi-Cal because those on unemployment are not eligible for whatever reason. So, yeah, if you have money you have the opportunity but without money, you don't.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #50
Sous Chef