"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-22-2016, 08:03 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have a multi- colored set of Fiesta ware for good I have this set, minus the tea set, from Gaelsong:

Those are beautiful -- like something a magical fairy princess would own/use.

You guys have great taste in dinnerware.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:04 PM   #12
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
You guys have great taste in dinnerware.
Hah - you might not think that after you see mine.

When my wife and I first got married, her grandmother gave us a nice set of family heirloom china. It was very pretty... blue with some sort of prairie theme... cat tails and stuff.

Problem is that it didn't match anything in our house. We still have it, but have only used it twice in the last 20 years.

So we decided that we would buy a set to use for every day. We ended up going to a restaurant supply business and bought the set below. It's plain white. No design. Nothing.

I call the pattern "diner special." We use it for every occasion, including holidays and dinner parties. Best thing about it is that if I happen to break a plate (which hasn't happened yet), I know the store still carries it and likely will for years to come.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:08 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
For everyday I have four place settings of these that I found at the flea market one Sunday morning - Mikasa Irish KeltCraft "Tranquil Glenn".

I also have a few place settings of Johnson Bros. "Friendly Village" and three other complete sets packed away in boxes, I keep hoping that someone in my family will take an interest in them. This fall I thought I had one hooked but she got away !!!
Unless they really oohhh and aahhh over your dishes and always ask about them, I doubt if anyone is going to. So let the family know that you are going to put it on ebay and sell two of the sets off. Keep one set for "just in case". Then bite your lower lip and do it! Because you know that is what they will do with them eventually.

I have several antiques and only Pirate realizes what they are worth. The rest of my family couldn't care less and would probably toss them in the trash.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:12 PM   #14
Senior Cook

We have a set of Corningware cookware with the 'blue cornflower' pattern. Wife says that her mom bought them at Service Merchandise in the late 1970's.

My mom has a set that has veggies on them:

'The Spice of Life'
Old 01-23-2016, 05:18 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
We have a set of Corningware cookware with the 'blue cornflower' pattern. Wife says that her mom bought them at Service Merchandise in the late 1970's.

My mom has a set that has veggies on them:

'The Spice of Life'
I have the top one. I picked it up at a yard sale many eons ago. Lost the lid. I sue it for bread pudding for my daughter. Paid the grand sum of $1.00.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:45 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I have white Stonehenge for everyday (16 place settings). I have a set of Limoges china from my family, Spode Christmas Tree (8 place settings) and a few more sets of four place settings. I am getting ready to get rid of some of the dishes. My mom has seven sets of dishes...my favorite set is the Quimperware, and then I like the Winfield.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:31 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have the top one. I picked it up at a yard sale many eons ago. Lost the lid. I sue it for bread pudding for my daughter. Paid the grand sum of $1.00.
What a bargain. Yeah I see a lot of them at yard sales and flea markets. If I had a huge kitchen, I'd probably buy 20 sets of them. :)

They are nice because you can cook in them and serve in them, and they're easy to clean out. Food doesn't really stick to them as bad as metal pans.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:37 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I have white Stonehenge for everyday (16 place settings). I have a set of Limoges china from my family, Spode Christmas Tree (8 place settings) and a few more sets of four place settings. I am getting ready to get rid of some of the dishes. My mom has seven sets of dishes...my favorite set is the Quimperware, and then I like the Winfield.
Wow, Quimperware is beautiful.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:04 AM   #19
Sous Chef

My best friend, who was here briefly, passed. Her hubby sent her gorgeous Christmas dishes and serving pieces to me. It's the Lenox Holiday pattern.

Our every day stuff is Corelle Winter Frost white, and a very colorful set Cat gave us. We bring out that set for semi-formal occasions, and I have the Lenox plain platinum-band china for good stuff; my Mom left that to me.

Pssssst: Speaking of Cat, she'll be here Thursday.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #20
Master Chef

Fiestaware here

In a bunch of colors