"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-22-2016, 03:51 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Your dish/china pattern?

We got these Target Home 'Carraway' patterned dishes from Target a few years ago on clearance for like $40 for 10 place settings. Kind of a simple, basic pattern but nice. They are sturdy and none have broken. Wife likes to use paper plates, but I stopped buying them (I have to do the shopping due to her bad back). So she's forced to eat off of real plates like civilized people. lol

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dishes.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	24200  

Old 01-22-2016, 04:00 PM   #2
Master Chef

Cute! We eat off of "real" plates all the time in our house. I might use paper plates if I'm just reheating something quick and it will get soggy on a china one. Otherwise, we pull plates out from one of our (too many) dishware sets.

We also use real, cloth napkins every meal. Makes our lap trays feel so "upscale" when we watch TV.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:17 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Which set?

The dishes we use daily are a Corning Corelle pattern called Summer Blush. Love Corelle because it can take a beating and is good friends with the microwave. It's been discontinued for a long time but I often find pieces at thrift stores and yard sales.

For "nicer" times we have a set of Homer Laughlin Virginia Rose that hasn't been made in many decades. It's a gentle, lovely floral that's reminiscent of days gone by. Another set of good dishes we have is called Blue Willow, which is the oldest continually-produced china pattern in the world. I love it because of its charm and because of the legend that it has. The final set of china is also discontinued and is LuRay Pastels, which was all the rage in the '30s and 40s. As the name might indicate, the colors are pastel - pink, green, blue, yellow. Grey was also made but didn't catch on. This set makes a beautiful table for springtime meals.

We're strictly "real" dishes here. The only time there are paper plates in the house is when we're planning a picnic.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have a multi- colored set of Fiesta ware for good I have this set, minus the tea set, from Gaelsong:

Old 01-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #5
Master Chef

Oh, I love those dishes, Princess! They're so unique - I think I'd want to display them. Between uses, of course.

My everyday dishes are a heavy stoneware set from IKEA. Pure white, no pattern. I love them. One of these days I'm going to get some Fiestaware - love those, too.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:09 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I have kept a service for four (out of eight) of Blue Willow. Find them too heavy for these arthritic hands. I have trouble holding a small cup of coffee. I now only have service for two available. Two dinner plates, two salad plates and two soup bowls. The other twos are put away. There are only two of us here. If you need more than two servicespieces, then too much food has been cooked. I wash the dirty dishes, Pirate put them away. Pirate hates paper plates. I used to buy paper plates in two sizes and small bowls. When he leaves in a month or so, I will go back to them.

I have always loved the Blue Willow pattern. I just didn't realize how heavy they would become on old hands. You know those collections you see on folks walls with different size platters? Well, I had a wall like that. Old pitchers, platters of all sizes, mugs, glasses, cereal bowls etc. They went to the Salvation Army when I had to downsize. So glad I don't have to dust or wash them anymore.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:16 PM   #7
Master Chef

For everyday I have four place settings of these that I found at the flea market one Sunday morning - Mikasa Irish KeltCraft "Tranquil Glenn".

I also have a few place settings of Johnson Bros. "Friendly Village" and three other complete sets packed away in boxes, I keep hoping that someone in my family will take an interest in them. This fall I thought I had one hooked but she got away !!!
Old 01-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

They're square Corelle with curvy black lines on them.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:28 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Your dish/china pattern?

Love the dinner sets, guys. Especially the Fiestaware, PF.

I have one indestructable set of discontinued Noritake. It's a sort of peachy-tan with a gray ring. I bought it shortly after we got married. An elephant could stomp on it and it would remain unscathed.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #10
Executive Chef

For everyday I bought a set of "diner style" heavy duty white dishes, service for 8. Like new going on 20+ years. After about 10 years of usage, I started collecting some garage/ estate sale dishes with cobalt blue borders/ patterns. Only criteria is they had to coordinate if only a little bit. I finally had to Stop doing this . Oh look, service for two, oh look another set service for 4, but only 3 cups.... Finally bought new navy blue Fiesta ware service for 6 and said that's it, put a lock on the cupboard doors as the shelves are sagging and another lock on my billfold.

Along the way I also started collecting green depression glass, mostly Cherry blossom pattern, and a few misc pieces. And I have over time put together a large set of Franciscan Desert Rose pattern for good dishes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	diner mug.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	24205   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeanette cherry blossom depression glass.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	24206  

Name:	Franciscan-Desert-Rose.jpg