Your dish/china pattern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd_1138

Sous Chef
We got these Target Home 'Carraway' patterned dishes from Target a few years ago on clearance for like $40 for 10 place settings. Kind of a simple, basic pattern but nice. They are sturdy and none have broken. Wife likes to use paper plates, but I stopped buying them (I have to do the shopping due to her bad back). So she's forced to eat off of real plates like civilized people. lol

Attachments

• dishes.jpg
    dishes.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 210
Cute! We eat off of "real" plates all the time in our house. I might use paper plates if I'm just reheating something quick and it will get soggy on a china one. Otherwise, we pull plates out from one of our (too many) dishware sets.

We also use real, cloth napkins every meal. Makes our lap trays feel so "upscale" when we watch TV. :LOL:

Which set?

The dishes we use daily are a Corning Corelle pattern called Summer Blush. Love Corelle because it can take a beating and is good friends with the microwave. It's been discontinued for a long time but I often find pieces at thrift stores and yard sales.

For "nicer" times we have a set of Homer Laughlin Virginia Rose that hasn't been made in many decades. It's a gentle, lovely floral that's reminiscent of days gone by. Another set of good dishes we have is called Blue Willow, which is the oldest continually-produced china pattern in the world. I love it because of its charm and because of the legend that it has. The final set of china is also discontinued and is LuRay Pastels, which was all the rage in the '30s and 40s. As the name might indicate, the colors are pastel - pink, green, blue, yellow. Grey was also made but didn't catch on. This set makes a beautiful table for springtime meals.

We're strictly "real" dishes here. The only time there are paper plates in the house is when we're planning a picnic.

I have a multi- colored set of Fiesta ware for good I have this set, minus the tea set, from Gaelsong:

151222_3067_large.jpg

Oh, I love those dishes, Princess! They're so unique - I think I'd want to display them. Between uses, of course. :)

My everyday dishes are a heavy stoneware set from IKEA. Pure white, no pattern. I love them. One of these days I'm going to get some Fiestaware - love those, too.

Last edited:
I have kept a service for four (out of eight) of Blue Willow. Find them too heavy for these arthritic hands. I have trouble holding a small cup of coffee. I now only have service for two available. Two dinner plates, two salad plates and two soup bowls. The other twos are put away. There are only two of us here. If you need more than two servicespieces, then too much food has been cooked. I wash the dirty dishes, Pirate put them away. Pirate hates paper plates. I used to buy paper plates in two sizes and small bowls. When he leaves in a month or so, I will go back to them.

I have always loved the Blue Willow pattern. I just didn't realize how heavy they would become on old hands. You know those collections you see on folks walls with different size platters? Well, I had a wall like that. Old pitchers, platters of all sizes, mugs, glasses, cereal bowls etc. They went to the Salvation Army when I had to downsize. So glad I don't have to dust or wash them anymore. :angel:

For everyday I have four place settings of these that I found at the flea market one Sunday morning - Mikasa Irish KeltCraft "Tranquil Glenn".

20747204_1_l.jpg

I also have a few place settings of Johnson Bros. "Friendly Village" and three other complete sets packed away in boxes, I keep hoping that someone in my family will take an interest in them. This fall I thought I had one hooked but she got away !!! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Love the dinner sets, guys. Especially the Fiestaware, PF.

I have one indestructable set of discontinued Noritake. It's a sort of peachy-tan with a gray ring. I bought it shortly after we got married. An elephant could stomp on it and it would remain unscathed.

Last edited:
For everyday I bought a set of "diner style" heavy duty white dishes, service for 8. Like new going on 20+ years. After about 10 years of usage, I started collecting some garage/ estate sale dishes with cobalt blue borders/ patterns. Only criteria is they had to coordinate if only a little bit. I finally had to Stop doing this . Oh look, service for two, oh look another set service for 4, but only 3 cups.... Finally bought new navy blue Fiesta ware service for 6 and said that's it, put a lock on the cupboard doors as the shelves are sagging and another lock on my billfold.

Along the way I also started collecting green depression glass, mostly Cherry blossom pattern, and a few misc pieces. And I have over time put together a large set of Franciscan Desert Rose pattern for good dishes.

Attachments

• diner mug.jpg
    diner mug.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 248
  • jeanette cherry blossom depression glass.jpg
    jeanette cherry blossom depression glass.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 167
  • Franciscan-Desert-Rose.jpg
    Franciscan-Desert-Rose.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 249
You guys have great taste in dinnerware.
Hah - you might not think that after you see mine. ;)

When my wife and I first got married, her grandmother gave us a nice set of family heirloom china. It was very pretty... blue with some sort of prairie theme... cat tails and stuff.

Problem is that it didn't match anything in our house. We still have it, but have only used it twice in the last 20 years.

So we decided that we would buy a set to use for every day. We ended up going to a restaurant supply business and bought the set below. It's plain white. No design. Nothing.

I call the pattern "diner special." We use it for every occasion, including holidays and dinner parties. Best thing about it is that if I happen to break a plate (which hasn't happened yet), I know the store still carries it and likely will for years to come.

img_1452573_0_318a2f29d1a790b8c9fd1cc8c79fb5c6.jpg

Last edited:
For everyday I have four place settings of these that I found at the flea market one Sunday morning - Mikasa Irish KeltCraft "Tranquil Glenn".

20747204_1_l.jpg

I also have a few place settings of Johnson Bros. "Friendly Village" and three other complete sets packed away in boxes, I keep hoping that someone in my family will take an interest in them. This fall I thought I had one hooked but she got away !!! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Unless they really oohhh and aahhh over your dishes and always ask about them, I doubt if anyone is going to. So let the family know that you are going to put it on ebay and sell two of the sets off. Keep one set for "just in case". Then bite your lower lip and do it! Because you know that is what they will do with them eventually.

I have several antiques and only Pirate realizes what they are worth. The rest of my family couldn't care less and would probably toss them in the trash. :angel:

We have a set of Corningware cookware with the 'blue cornflower' pattern. Wife says that her mom bought them at Service Merchandise in the late 1970's.

5519436dea2c2bdf8ecd4d471f8ff49e.jpg

My mom has a set that has veggies on them:

71tb8Ub34FL._SX425_.jpg

'The Spice of Life'

Last edited:
We have a set of Corningware cookware with the 'blue cornflower' pattern. Wife says that her mom bought them at Service Merchandise in the late 1970's.

5519436dea2c2bdf8ecd4d471f8ff49e.jpg

My mom has a set that has veggies on them:

71tb8Ub34FL._SX425_.jpg

'The Spice of Life'

I have the top one. I picked it up at a yard sale many eons ago. Lost the lid. I sue it for bread pudding for my daughter. Paid the grand sum of $1.00. :angel:

I have white Stonehenge for everyday (16 place settings). I have a set of Limoges china from my family, Spode Christmas Tree (8 place settings) and a few more sets of four place settings. I am getting ready to get rid of some of the dishes. My mom has seven sets of dishes...my favorite set is the Quimperware, and then I like the Winfield.

I have the top one. I picked it up at a yard sale many eons ago. Lost the lid. I sue it for bread pudding for my daughter. Paid the grand sum of $1.00. :angel:

What a bargain. Yeah I see a lot of them at yard sales and flea markets. If I had a huge kitchen, I'd probably buy 20 sets of them. :)

They are nice because you can cook in them and serve in them, and they're easy to clean out. Food doesn't really stick to them as bad as metal pans.

I have white Stonehenge for everyday (16 place settings). I have a set of Limoges china from my family, Spode Christmas Tree (8 place settings) and a few more sets of four place settings. I am getting ready to get rid of some of the dishes. My mom has seven sets of dishes...my favorite set is the Quimperware, and then I like the Winfield.

Wow, Quimperware is beautiful.

VINTAGE-QUIMPER-FRENCH-POTTERY-MARGUERITE-BLUE-ORANGE.jpg

Last edited:
My best friend, who was here briefly, passed. Her hubby sent her gorgeous Christmas dishes and serving pieces to me. It's the Lenox Holiday pattern.

Our every day stuff is Corelle Winter Frost white, and a very colorful set Cat gave us. We bring out that set for semi-formal occasions, and I have the Lenox plain platinum-band china for good stuff; my Mom left that to me.

Pssssst: Speaking of Cat, she'll be here Thursday.

Back
Top Bottom