"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-06-2005, 02:43 AM   #11
Master Chef

urmaniac, wow, you have me there. I keep swearing the next time I have finances together enough for Europe, Spain and Portugal are going to be a top priority. Andy M., I don't know if I've told you but we sold almost everything we owned, bought a truck and travel trailer, and did just that, which is why I started this thread. We'd both -- separately and together -- travelled coast-to-coast several times. But always with a deadline. So we enjoyed stopping at every little thing that caught our attention. I do think that most Americans don't really know their country. A lot of people think the midwest is O'Hare, Texas is DFW. It's fun to take your time and see all the various places, meet the people.

Old 10-06-2005, 03:24 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I have long desired to do the Pilgrim's route to Santiago de Compostela... No, I'm not a 'churchy' person .... I just think it was an act of faith by thousands (still is!) and now some of the pilgrim stops are now first class hotels.... with wonderful food.

My daughter's friend and her husband have bought a big hotel on the route - and are in the process of modernising and upgrading the lovely old buildings..

I wouldn't be WALKING the route, either... http://www.santiago-compostela.net/

Old 10-06-2005, 03:39 AM   #13
Head Chef

DH and I would love to tour England, Ireland , Scotland and Wales one day. I am very interested in family history and would love to visit theplaces our ancestors came from.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:35 AM   #14
Executive Chef

If you ever make it over, I'd be happy to show you around and cook you a meal or two!
Old 10-06-2005, 06:47 PM   #15
Head Chef

As long as its not haggis!!!!!! Maybe you could get Nick Nairn over to cook for both of us, I love him!
Jokes aside I'd love to have a meal with you Ishbel it would be fun.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:50 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Well, he's probably out of my price range for a personalised luncheon.... But I've been to a number of courses at his cookery school, own all his books, even got the chef's apron from his school to prove my skills... You'll have to make do with my interpretation of some of Nick's dishes!
Old 10-06-2005, 07:01 PM   #17
Head Chef

I think your interpretation would be just wonderful!
Old 10-07-2005, 06:52 AM   #18
Master Chef

What road trips have you taken and what places do you recommend? Start with scenery:

The mesa pueblos out west. I grew up partially out west, and don't want to live there. But those apartment buildings in the cliffs and mesas just fascinate me.

Biggest surprises: the Oregon coastal "highway". My lord, how gorgeous. You expect it of Big Sur, you expect it in Washington. But I thought Oregon's coastal road was best. Western Montana. I loved it.

All-time favorite: The Appalacians.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:02 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I also fancy that it would be so lovely to tour around and see the eastern region of russia / former soviet union, from around the Caucasus mountains and the Caspian Sea, Kasakhistan, Uzbekistan, a bit of Siberia and the lake Baikal... but I am afraid they are too spread apart, the vastness of the area is really beyond my comprehehsion...maybe the Siberian Express would be a better idea...
Old 10-07-2005, 08:00 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Claire, I'm one of those who haven't travelled much, even in my own country. I have been to Europe, including Germany, England, France and Austria. I've been to California, but only by air. I'd like to travel more, but my dh is one of those who likes to have a specific destination in mind and see how quickly he can arrive. I've always wanted to go to Vancouver, BC, but don't know whether I will get there or not. I suppose I have plenty to do even if I don't do that.