Your Dream Road Trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
What would be your dream road trip? Where would you start, where would you drive to? What cities, parks, states, and sites would you want to visit. I asked earlier what people wanted to do that they never had, and was surprised --and saddened -- at the number of people who said they want to see the ocean. If given an unlimited amount of gas for you car, and a tent (or even a hotel allowance), where would you go, what would you see. (and yes, I've done this several times over). Everyone chime in with hints that might make our buddies' dream trips possible.

denali national park in alaska
florida keys
the grand canyon
boston and salem mass.
of course vegas
west virginia (so beautiful this time of year)
harrisburg to see my mom

just to name a few. don't know where i'd start
don't know where i'd end.

I would like to drive around the USA, slowly. It would be a leisurely trip with stops in every state visiting points of interest along the way. I'l need a few months so make that a very large hotel allowance. Oh, I'll be needing a liberal meal allowance as I plan on eating my way across the country.

Andy M. said:
I would like to drive around the USA, slowly. It would be a leisurely trip with stops in every state visiting points of interest along the way. I'l need a few months so make that a very large hotel allowance. Oh, I'll be needing a liberal meal allowance as I plan on eating my way across the country.

When do we leave?:D

Moved to Off Topic Chat as we are hoping the Road Forum will stay tidy with actual questions. Thanks everyone!

Hey Andy I'll pitch in on the gas if I can hitch a ride.

DH and I did a road trip when we got married. We didn't make any reservations just stopped where we wanted to and did whatever we wanted. The only thing we knew when we got in the car was we would get married in Pigeon Forge, TN. We were gone for 11 days and it was a trip I will treasure. I got to see the mountains for the first time.

My next big trip....we were going to do it last July but oldest sons baseball and college schedule interfered.....I want to head down South and travel along the coastline and spend as much time near the ocean as possible. Again I don't want to make any reservations or def. plans. Its an amazing and relaxing way to vacation. But if the gas prices don't come down I don't see it happening.

I'll be packed and ready in about ten minutes. I'll honk the horn when I get to your place.

I'd like to see more of Montana and Az and then every thing east of where I
am now. Other than flying in and out of airports I've hardly been anywhere in the US.

We did take a 10 week road trip through France, Italy, Germany and Greece a few years back. I'd love to do that again. We bought a van in Holland and then just went where ever we wanted. My advice would be "NEVER EVER take a upset 13 year old boy on a 10 week road trip through Europe!!!! 10 weeks in a small van is a long long time!!!!" :)

First we would take a ferry across the mediterranean sea to Barcelona (well, maybe a stop at Sardinia in between too... yes, here we will do one go around of the island...) then go down the eastern coast of Spain on to Andalucia, then to Portugal. Go up the Atlantic coast, then go back into Spain along the northern coast, on to Pyrenese.... then drive on along the southern coast of France, cote d'azur... back to Italy and do the whole go around of the "boot".... that would be my dream road trip!!

img_176825_0_24b1f2e5af0aa5047dcf1e2286b861cc.jpg

Hey, Sizzlin - Let me know if you're coming to Charleston, I'l show you around!

Road trip for me in the USA would be up along Route 1 all the way up through New England; then back down through the Adirondacks, out to New Mexico.

Across the ocean - England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland; no real desire to see Europe; but then on to Japan (with of course unlimited meal tickets!)

urmaniac, wow, you have me there. I keep swearing the next time I have finances together enough for Europe, Spain and Portugal are going to be a top priority. Andy M., I don't know if I've told you but we sold almost everything we owned, bought a truck and travel trailer, and did just that, which is why I started this thread. We'd both -- separately and together -- travelled coast-to-coast several times. But always with a deadline. So we enjoyed stopping at every little thing that caught our attention. I do think that most Americans don't really know their country. A lot of people think the midwest is O'Hare, Texas is DFW. It's fun to take your time and see all the various places, meet the people.

I have long desired to do the Pilgrim's route to Santiago de Compostela... No, I'm not a 'churchy' person .... :) I just think it was an act of faith by thousands (still is!) and now some of the pilgrim stops are now first class hotels.... with wonderful food.

My daughter's friend and her husband have bought a big hotel on the route - and are in the process of modernising and upgrading the lovely old buildings..

I wouldn't be WALKING the route, either... :mrgreen: http://www.santiago-compostela.net/

DH and I would love to tour England, Ireland , Scotland and Wales one day. I am very interested in family history and would love to visit theplaces our ancestors came from.

If you ever make it over, I'd be happy to show you around and cook you a meal or two!

As long as its not haggis!!!!!! Maybe you could get Nick Nairn over to cook for both of us, I love him!
Jokes aside I'd love to have a meal with you Ishbel it would be fun.

Well, he's probably out of my price range for a personalised luncheon.... But I've been to a number of courses at his cookery school, own all his books, even got the chef's apron from his school to prove my skills... You'll have to make do with my interpretation of some of Nick's dishes!:mrgreen:

What road trips have you taken and what places do you recommend? Start with scenery:

The mesa pueblos out west. I grew up partially out west, and don't want to live there. But those apartment buildings in the cliffs and mesas just fascinate me.

Biggest surprises: the Oregon coastal "highway". My lord, how gorgeous. You expect it of Big Sur, you expect it in Washington. But I thought Oregon's coastal road was best. Western Montana. I loved it.

All-time favorite: The Appalacians.

I also fancy that it would be so lovely to tour around and see the eastern region of russia / former soviet union, from around the Caucasus mountains and the Caspian Sea, Kasakhistan, Uzbekistan, a bit of Siberia and the lake Baikal... but I am afraid they are too spread apart, the vastness of the area is really beyond my comprehehsion...maybe the Siberian Express would be a better idea...

Claire, I'm one of those who haven't travelled much, even in my own country. I have been to Europe, including Germany, England, France and Austria. I've been to California, but only by air. I'd like to travel more, but my dh is one of those who likes to have a specific destination in mind and see how quickly he can arrive. I've always wanted to go to Vancouver, BC, but don't know whether I will get there or not. I suppose I have plenty to do even if I don't do that.

Back
Top Bottom